Waaahhhh!

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
It's not the length of time from when you buy the item, it's the length of time from launch. Of course someone will always buy an item a week from a price drop, that is not the point we're talking about.
No kidding. Let me give you a small clue -- I'm an early adopter. I never wait 4 months to buy a new gadget, I must have it on or near the release date.

You do the math.

What Apple did was not "unprecedented".

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
They apparently thought all along that the 4GB iPhone is pretty much worthless out there as is evident by the fact that it is no longer available. Why did they launch it then? It was simply and precisely there to catch those early adopters who could not stomach buying a $600 phone and could get themselves to pay $500 for something that the company knows serves no real need out there.

Tell me this is not predatory. It is perfectly legal, but I didn't expect it from a supposedly respected company. Hence, I have lost respect for them and will not be sending them any more money.
I don't believe they released the 4GB model out of a predatory state-of-mind. I believe they did not know which model would be more successful, hence they chose to launch with 2 models to give people an option of how much memory they wanted and how much money they wanted to spend. Since launch, the 4GB model has shown to be the less attractive model (i don't know why anyone would not want to spend the extra $100 for double the memory capacity anyway) so they dumped it to be able to better compete without having to produce a 4GB model that will only take funding away from the 8GB model and not bring in any significant revenue. Now, Apple has a great iPod/iPhone lineup that can compete in the marketplace.

Hey, when I bought my 60-Inch Samsung LCD DLP TV, I knew and also checked to see myself that a newer model less than one month later has been released with newer specs for the same price. I did not ever think that Samsung was out to get the consumer, since this ALWAYS happens with technology, especially more commodicized tech products, such as cell phones, computers, TVs, etc.