Wait until 3.1 to jailbreak?

Jul 5, 2009
What is the best way to jailbreak my iPhone? Should I do it now or wait until 3.1 is jailbroken?

Thanks,

Matt

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
3.1 could make jailbreaking very hard
save your IBSE and IBEC using ibec and ibse grabber while restoring your iPhone in dfu mode and it will grab it for you. in future it might be impossible said by dev-team.

use purplera1n to jailbreak after restore is done. it wont delete settings just writs over it.

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
I reflected upon the same question when my new 3Gs arrived and decided to do it now (as my V1 was JB'd and I was most definitely missing some apps that are only available on a JB'd fone). My reason: If Apple plugs the current exploit when they release the 3.1 FW upgrade, then everyone is going to have to wait for the Dev-team/purplera1n to find a new hole, just as we did for 2.x FW upgrades. So what would I gain/lose if I waited: gain nothing, lose using my favorite (and some of which I consider indispensable) apps. I will not upgrade to 3.1 until the new exploit is ready, especially since 3.0 has been pretty damn rock solid for me.......so far ;)

btw, I used the dev-team's method. worked like a charm.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I reflected upon the same question when my new 3Gs arrived and decided to do it now (as my V1 was JB'd and I was most definitely missing some apps that are only available on a JB'd fone). My reason: If Apple plugs the current exploit when they release the 3.1 FW upgrade, then everyone is going to have to wait for the Dev-team/purplera1n to find a new hole, just as we did for 2.x FW upgrades. So what would I gain/lose if I waited: gain nothing, lose using my favorite (and some of which I consider indispensable) apps. I will not upgrade to 3.1 until the new exploit is ready, especially since 3.0 has been pretty damn rock solid for me.......so far ;)

btw, I used the dev-team's method. worked like a charm.
I agree. I highly doubt 3.1 is going to fix/add any valuable features. I would jailbreak now and wait until 3.1 is jailbroken to upgrade, but that's just me. Personally, I'd use redsn0w for jailbreaking...

http://redsn0w.com/

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Unless they tie in the MMS with 3.1 somehow. :( I'd be so torn!
Highly doubt it. It's on AT&T's end now, the iPhone 3.0 firmware already supports MMS. Though the release of 3.1 and AT&T being ready for MMS might be a "coincidence" and occur around the same time...

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Unless they tie in the MMS with 3.1 somehow. :( I'd be so torn!
MMS will be activated via a carrier file in iTunes, if they do not release it separately and make it a part of 3.1...someone will strip it out of the 3.1 update and you will be able to manually install the ipcc file ;) You can bet on that.

Jul 5, 2009
Well i spent a litle while trying it today an i couldnt find the files it needs. The folder it said to look for never showed up. I might try again tomorrow

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
Are you talking about the iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_restore.ipsw file? if so, you can find it in the following folder: ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates/

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
to JB with redsn0w (I can't talk about purplera1n's requirements) you don't need the IBSC* nor the IBSS* files

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
to JB with redsn0w (I can't talk about purplera1n's requirements) you don't need the IBSC* nor the IBSS* files
You don't need them with purplera1n either. You may need them for the 3.1 jailbreak, so use the grabber program and do a DFU restore and you will get them ;)