Wait wait, if there was no announcement, then all that speculations were for nothing?

Mikozee

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
Alright I've been visiting these forums ever since I bought my first iPhone. I've been browsing around the Future iPhones forum for the past couple months and people made it sound like the iPhone V3 was coming out for SURE this year. I'm sure some even claimed they were 100% sure

If Apple didn't announce it at the expo, does that mean that there is NO new iPhone coming out this July?

And if that's the case, had I been being patient for nothing?!?!

Does that mean I can safely go out and by myself a iPhone 3G without worrying about Apple releasing one 4 months after I bought it? (that's what happened to my first iPhone)

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
I think it's safe!

divabimbers

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Arizona
They didn't announce the iPhone 3G in January last year if I remember right. If there is anything coming out, it might be announced at WWDC which is sometime in June. Whether they do announce something then is anyone's guess but my advice would be if you want or need it badly that you can't wait a few months for this, buy it. If you can hold off, then do it.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Well, at this point... no one knows for sure, or at least those who do know can't confirm anything yet. I'd say go buy a 3G now and then when a new one comes out, unlock the 3G and sell it on ebay, BUT, there is no indication that AT&T will allow current iPhone customers to upgrade earily if a new iPhone comes out. The last time around, it didn't matter as the first phone wasn't subsidised (sp?) by AT&T like the 3G is. AT&T does allow for people to upgrade after 12 months for those who pay over 100 bucks for a monthly bill (primary account holder only for family accounts), but who knows. If you've waited this long, whats another few months....

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I've had my V1 over a year now. GPS would be a nice luxury at this point but not necessary. The thing still works quite well and is in very good condition. I don't think AT&T will let 3g owners upgrade to the next phone unless its that primary account/bill over $100 a month thing. I'm holding out.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
this is just my gut, but i think it is a bit ridiculous to expect a new iPhone once a year. the 3g offered up a couple of HEAVILY requested HARDWARE features (3G and GPS). No hardware feature that can be added right now will attract as many new customers as 3G and GPS. At this point, the most heavily requested features are all software-based (copy/paste, MMS, etc). Of course, there are basic things that can definitely be improved-upon (namely the battery and form-factor), so i don't think it is unreasonable to expect one relatively soon... just not this year.

Meanwhile, my v1 is chuggin along just fine.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I think if anything there will be a memory increase to perhaps 32 GB but other than that I wouldn't expect anything in the way of a new device.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I an pretty sure no one said that a new version would be out in Jan. Maybe a few people thought a 32g version may be here in Jan but I don't think that will happen till later in the first quarter.

If they stick to current schedules you will not see anything till June. I agree with one of the other posters there really isn't much physically they need to add to the phone it's mostly software. So maybe an upgraded processor and maybe making it slightly thinner, but most of the revolutionary stuff will be software related and hopefully be able to be ported to V1 and V2.

So basically if you buy one now you are safe till at least June.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
I might be the only one who thinks this but I really don't think Apple should put out another iPhone this year. That'll be three staight years that Apple has made a new version. If anything I think just a big update should benoit out instead.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
this is just my gut, but i think it is a bit ridiculous to expect a new iPhone once a year. the 3g offered up a couple of HEAVILY requested HARDWARE features (3G and GPS).......

Meanwhile, my v1 is chuggin along just fine.
Mine too! Apple has a habit of hitting the mark on the third generation. And I think they'll keep churning out new models every year at least. They have to in the cut-throat cellphone market. They can't rest on their laurels like they can in the MP3 player market. If they don't keep innovating, it won't be long before they are overtaken by better options.

I agree that they don't need to do much, hardware-wise, but I think they have to throw us bones. God knows we'll keep biting.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Mine too! Apple has a habit of hitting the mark on the third generation. And I think they'll keep churning out new models every year at least. They have to in the cut-throat cellphone market. They can't rest on their laurels like they can in the MP3 player market. If they don't keep innovating, it won't be long before they are overtaken by better options.

I agree that they don't need to do much, hardware-wise, but I think they have to throw us bones. God knows we'll keep biting.
yes the Cell market is completely different. Look what happened to Motorola when they rested on the Razr.

Palm was almost dead till the Pre.

Which by the way looks like the first REAL competition I have seen to the iPhone. I wonder if it will perform as good as the specs look. To bad they crippled it by putting it on the Sprint network first. If that thing goes on Verizon it may really take off (assuming VZW allows wifi for once).

bubbatex

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Palm probably wanted to get the phone to market sometime before the end of the decade - WITH all of it's features - so they bypassed Verizon. And GSM will have one sometime after the Sprint intro, so that takes care of a big chunk of potential users.

macfone

Jan 20, 2009
I hope the next iPhone will have the same metal outside that the 1st gen did. The plastic looks good but feels rather cheap. However, when i opened the box of the iPhone 3g i could tell Apple is really cutting back (no dock, the usb wire is shorter and my headphones broke in the first month!) :mad: O and let me clear this up ( THE iPhone IS NOT COMING TO VERIZON!) :laugh2:

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I hope the next iPhone will have the same metal outside that the 1st gen did. The plastic looks good but feels rather cheap. However, when i opened the box of the iPhone 3g i could tell Apple is really cutting back (no dock, the usb wire is shorter and my headphones broke in the first month!) :mad: O and let me clear this up ( THE iPhone IS NOT COMING TO VERIZON!) :laugh2:
The aluminum backing would be a huge mistake. The reason for the plastic was not to cut back. Aluminum inhibits the reception the phone receives. Unless AT&T majorly beefs up their network it would be bad. I agree with what was said earlier, Apple is a new comer to the enormous cell market, they've established themselves quickly but in order to stay at the top they need to keep throwing bones. And I think they need to do it in the way of how the phone looks. Simply putting out a 32gb phone isn't enough. They need to give the market something new to look at; something so that when the consumer pulls out their phone they can feel like everyone around them is jealous. The 3g is almost becoming too common place, it doesn't produce as much of a wow factor anymore.