Wake on WLAN - Apple TV 3 and MBP

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by supersonicbaron, Jun 21, 2014.

1. supersonicbaron

Bronze

So I have recently joined the ATV world, picked up an ATV3 a few weeks ago. I have hooked it up and I am damn impressed. The airplay, streaming etc is awesome. Its a great addition to the my TV - yes theres alternatives, cheaper maybe but the ATV fits right in, in my ecosystem.

So I wanted to get clever with it and stream from my MBP(2011 with Mavericks) but I didn't want my MBP on all the time and soon discovered this neat functionality called Wake on WLAN.

Problem is I cant get my ATV to wake my sleeping MBP in order to browse the iTunes library.My MBP does supprt wake on wireless(I checked) - endless research and scouring through forums and I still cant get it to work. Is anyone here using their ATV to wirelessly wake up their MBP in order to stream content ? According to an Apple note I came across, it says that the ATV has the capability to wake up a sleeping Mac wirelessly as it has the Bonjour sleep proxy built in (or something like that)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3774

I have tried the following

- Activated the wake for network access in energy settings

- MBP plugged into power with lid up

- Deleted all wi-fi networks and renewed DHCP lease

- Set preferred wi-fi network

- played around with sleep settings

- Turned off bluetooth (thought it might be interfering)

with all that the ATV is still not able to wake the MBP to browse my iTunes library

So I am quite stumped now as to how to get this to work , I don't want to set the MBP so it does not go to sleep, but thats not really clever to have the MBP running24/7 only to watch movies occansionally, I'd rather have it wake up when I need it and then go to sleep when not in use

Any help/hints would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't need to go through the ATV. Just wake your Mac directly. I use the AirVideo app (paid version) on my iPhone for WOL (Wake on LAN). It works great for WON and doesn't require the tedious setup that dedicated WOL apps require. More than half the time I use it simply to wake my iMac for VNC usage rather than streaming video through AirVideo. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

3. supersonicbaron

Bronze

Thanks for the feedback, I got the app but unfortunately it still does not work

I don't have a LAN setup, my area lacks infrastructure,thereforee I'm forced to use wireless(mi-fi) to run my network

I've noticed the the Mac has almost 2 types of sleep modes

With the first the sleep the Mac indicator is on - in this "mode" the ATV will read iTunes library and air video will connect as well

After a while it seems to go into another mode where the indicator starts to flash, in this mode it's impossible to connect to the Mac, if I want to browse I need to manually get it out of sleep mode, press a key or something

I wonder if what I'm trying to do with the wireless network only is impossible

4. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

I think the two modes of sleep you're referring to are the monitor sleep time and the hard disk sleep time. Both can be adjusted in display settings. When the monitor turns off, the hard disk is still awake and can be accessed remotely by the ATV. When the hard disk sleeps, the network generally shuts down. Such things happen even when downloading files from internet sources. The hard disk will sleep and the download will stop. There is a free little program you can download called Caffeine that you can use to make your computer stay awake at such times such as streaming video from your iTunes to your ATV. I use this myself and it works like a charm.
    There is also a utility to keep the hard disk awake on an external hard drive if your files are stored externally. I can't think of the name of it because I haven't had to use it in a long time. Good luck.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Which version did you use? There are at least three of them. The HD version won't wake my Mac. This one will, though:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-video-watch-your-videos/id306550020?mt=8

6. supersonicbaron

Bronze

I got the HD version, I'll give it another go later tonight. Thanks

7. supersonicbaron

Bronze

Thanks for the info. I was always under the impression that the ATV would be able to wake the hard drive. This in my opinion is the most useful part of wake on lan/wlan

I could also set it so for the hard drive never to go to sleep, but I don't want this, according to the Apple note ATV should be able to wake the MAC, from the research I've been doing on this topic on the web it seems like a hit and miss for others trying to do this, mostly miss.

Wonder if I am really doing something incorrect or this feature just doesn't work reliably - hopefully Apple addresses if such.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I guess I'm confused as to why you want to go through a middleman to wake your Mac when you can wake it up directly with the app I linked.

9. supersonicbaron

Bronze

the only reason i want to wake my MBP wirelessly is to use it with ATV - yes I'm lazy to get up and manually turn it on - and seeing that ATV "should" be able to do that, i thought that would be neat

I'm not opposed to using the app,I will try the non hd version of air video tonight and let you know how that goes.I guess if i can wake the MBP wirelessly it opens opportunities to do other stuff with it remotely

10. supersonicbaron

Bronze

@Europa I'm a bit skeptical of buying the old air video app as most of the recent reviews on the App Store from users say that it does not work anymore. I see the app was last updated in November 2013, can you confirm if you have this latest update of the app ?

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The older AirVideo server is still available for Mac and Windows.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It still works for me. I have that update.
    Is it connected to your TV? What do you need it to do? If you just want to watch videos that are on your Mac, you don't need the ATV for that. You just need AirVideo.

13. supersonicbaron

Bronze

Yes, all I want to do is watch movies that are on my MBP, but I want to watch it on my TV,not my iPhone or iPad

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Okay, so it's just that you want to be able to wake it remotely from the other room rather than walking in there, correct? I do that myself sometimes (through Air Video). The nice thing about AirVideo is that it does live conversion. It will play all types of video formats and they don't have to be in iTunes. Just open AirVideo, get it playing on your iPhone/iPad (in the AirVideo app) and then use AirPlay to kick it over to the TV. If it's already in iTunes, open AirVideo to wake the Mac, close the app and then just play movies directly though the ATV via home sharing.

15. supersonicbaron

Bronze

Sorry for getting back to you guys do late - I'm still unsuccessful, even with the older version of air video.

It seems once my Mac goes to sleep(where the indicator starts to flash) it's impossible to wake it over WLAN.

I tried both versions of air video and their corresponding server software but no luck

Oh well....

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Do you have wake for network access selected in settings?
    image.jpg

17. supersonicbaron

Bronze

Yep have that checked as well - I'm going to take it to the local Apple reseller's store, maybe they can tell me what I'm doing wrong

18. supersonicbaron

Bronze

This could be the answer I've been looking for

Apple Releases OS X 10.9.4 With Wi-Fi Fixes, Wake From Sleep Improvements, Safari 7.0.5 http://t.co/fhBnyS216H by @julipuli