Wall Charger for iPhone

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Hey question for anyone. I am leaving for a cruise today, and I want to have my iPhone with me for the iPod part of it. I do not have a Apple USB Power Adapter, but I have the one that came with the Jawbone. Do you think it is safe to plug the iPhone into the Jawbone USB Power Adaptor to charge while on the cruise. Thanks for any help!

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
It's very unlikely to cause any damage to the iPhone, however, from recollection (I have a Jawbone too), the Jawbone charger is unable to supply enough current to charge the iPhone.

I use my iPhone charger for charging both the iPhone and the Jawbone for this reason.

Give it a try though.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Don't even try it. Two totally different devices, two toally different voltage/amps. Great way to fry the iPhone.
Pony up 30 bucks and buy the wall charger.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Well, it hasn't fried mine. Both are USB voltage (hence the USB plug).

There just isn't enough current draw available.

A device can only draw as much current as it needs, provided the voltage is correct. Current is drawn, voltage is pushed, that's why the current is irrelevant, provided the charger is capable of delivering sufficient.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I used my old iHome to charge for about a month because I lost my dock. I had to turn on Airplane Mode every time I docked. The iPhone dock is much better.

- John

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Hey question for anyone. I am leaving for a cruise today, and I want to have my iPhone with me for the iPod part of it. I do not have a Apple USB Power Adapter, but I have the one that came with the Jawbone. Do you think it is safe to plug the iPhone into the Jawbone USB Power Adaptor to charge while on the cruise. Thanks for any help!
How come you don't have an Apple USB wall charger? As i remember, it was in the iPhone box.
I tried several battery-powered adapters myself (like Belkin's, Griffin's and some other ones) meant for the iPod. They don't work.
I would dish out $29 for an Apple wall charger if I were you.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
its not a charger per say, but my hardmon kardon drive+play that i use for the iPhone in the car also charges... And its not "Apple." but I agree, I'd be careful when plugging stuff up to your 4 or $ 500 dollar "investment."