Wanna play Travian? New server starting NOW! Plays great on iPhone. Very addictive.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Travian is a browser-based MMOG, or "massively multiplayer online game." It plays very well on the iPhone. The game draws roughly from classical antiquity and particularly from the Roman Empire to create a predominantly militaristic real-time strategy.

The game is 100% free to play. But you can use real money to buy game "gold" that can be used to enhance game-play. Whether to use gold or not is your choice, but it is certainly not required (and you are given some free gold with every new account). Don't use any gold till you know what to do with it, especially your free gold!

You must choose one of three "tribes," out of four in the game. The fourth tribe, the Natars, are a game-controlled tribe that are released at the end of the game. The end goal of the game is to defeat those Natars, and to create a world wonder so civilizations that follow will remember you. But well before the end-game there are a lot of "mini goals" that you will, hopefully, enjoy attaining (reaching 100 population, raiding your first village, etc.).

Each of the three tribes has their own strengths and weaknesses, but in a nutshell they are as follows:

Teutons: Primarily an offensive tribe. You can start building an army quickly as a Teuton. Teutons can also steal some resources that would otherwise be protected by "crannies" (you build those to protect your resources). As time goes on Teutonic troops are no match for equal numbers of, say, Roman troops. But if you want to get going in the game quickly, Teutons are the way to go.

Gauls:
Primarily a defensive tribe. Gauls get extra space in their crannies, and they have the unique ability to "trap" attacking troops. That said plenty of people play offensively as Gauls.

Romans: Roughly split between offense and defense. Lots of new players start out as Romans. But Roman troops are expensive, so it might take awhile to get going. But once you get going your troops will pack a mighty punch.

When you setup your account and choose to be one of the above tribes, you cannot change it. So decide wisely.

You start out with an empty village, and must grow it and nurture it to the point of building an army, producing resources, and eventually founding--or conquering--other villages. There are raids, attacks, non-aggression pacts, and lots of communication with other players. The pace is slow at first, but don't let that fool you. Once you are sucked into the game you might find yourself checking in on your village (later, villages) all of the time (think: reaching for your iPhone off of the nightstand in the middle of the night).

It can be very addictive.

It is also very-much a game of cooperation. In that vein the game supports "alliances," which are a fundamental aspect of the game. An iphone-centric alliance has a distinct strategic advantage since we can play the game almost anywhere, anytime.

Indy Jones started an iPhone alliance on server1 earlier this year (the server starting now is server4). That alliance did amazingly well, and it has merged with an even bigger alliance so that it should be a formidable opponent, ready for the end-game. Still, we didn't get started on that server till a month or two after the game began, and by now it's not really appropriate for new players.

But a new game is about to begin on a different server. If anyone is interested in starting fresh on a new server, a new game is about to begin on server 4:
http://s4.travian.com

Game starts on 5/30/08, but registration is open NOW. I've already registered as Tinman. If enough EIC people join we can have a good start on the new server. And we will have started right at the beginning of the game. (We didn't really get into the game previously until it was well under way.) If you join, please specifiy that you want to join in the Southwest!

To recap, if you want to play:

1.) Register right now at http://s4.travian.com. Try to use your EIC name, as it gets confusing if you don't.

2.) Make sure you choose to have your village located in the southwest. If you don't do this you will be VERY FAR from the rest of the alliance. Get this right!

3.)
Choose a tribe. I play as a Roman, but feel free to choose one that you like.

Once the game starts you want to "build" wisely. Don't go out and build stuff willy-nilly, as you will likely waste precious resources. If you don't know what to build, ask. This is crucial in the beginning. If this thread isn't updated with building tips by the time you get started, start out by building up a few resource fields (wood, clay, iron, and crop).

If there is enough interest, and commitment, I will build an embassy and start an alliance for EIC. You will then be able to join that alliance. But I am getting ahead of myself. Let's see if anyone is interested (we have several already).

Anyone else interested?

--
Mike

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Absolutely. My Death Eaters are eager to break out their new wands.;)

I will be a Gaul.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
[a respectful tip of the hat to Tinman]

Miss you around these parts. You coming back for G2 or what?

And sorry, I can not get involved in another online activity or I will probably lose my job or something.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Cool. What is your in-game name, Eragon?

--
Mike
On S1, my Severus_Snape account is being deleted since I will be assuming Keagle's old account. Not sure if I can change my name on S1. If I can, I'll try to make it Lord Voldemort.

On S4, I've registered as Lord Voldemort. Can't activate until about midnight tonite.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
*bump*;)

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
How much time does it take? Sounds fun, but I do not want to be lame if I am busy at work in the day.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
How much time does it take? Sounds fun, but I do not want to be lame if I am busy at work in the day.
If you managed to log in about every sixth breath you took, you MIGHT be OK.

:p

Oh and bring your credit card!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Update - 5/30/08

Tinman and I are both registered and building. The race to build and grow is pretty quick in my grid. I can see now how some of the more aggressive players got to where they are now. :eek:

We should have the EIC alliance ready by tomorrow. To join, players must build an embassy to at least a level 1.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
OK, the game at http://s4.travian.com has officially begun.

Join now if you have any sort of interest in playing, even if you are not sure yet. The locations seems to be coming in fairly close together, and at the "center" of Travian's universe, if you will.

I'm already working on building up the embassy so that we should be able to start an EIC alliance by tomorrow.

If you are new to the game, here are a few pointers to help get your village going

1.) There are two "views" of your village in Travian. One is just the village center, the rest shows all of the resources fields, with the village center in the middle. Clicking on the middle will take you to the village center view. Get used to these two views, as you will spend a lot of time looking at them.

2.) Start out by increasing the level of each of the resource field (0 to 1). Do it once for wood, clay, iron and crop and you will receive a bonus shipment of resources. Level the fields up equally. For example you will have 4 clay fields. Don't update any clay fields to level 2 until they all are all up to 1. Don't get too lopsided in upgrading any one kind of resource (e.g., if you only upgrade iron you won't be able to upgrade anything else).

3.) Once you get your resource fields going the only buildings you should be concerned with in the village center should be a warehouse and granary. You can wait a few days before building a cranny (but you will need to build one... more than one eventually).

4.) The game doesn't take much input in the early stages, so you can leave your village alone while stuff is "building."

5.) Have fun!

Here's a very brief tutorial that should make things clearer:
http://help.travian.com/index.php?type=faq&mod=210

--
Mike

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
So that we can get a feel for who starts where, please include your capital village coordinates. Here's what we know so far:

Tinman (-23, -10)
Lord Voldemort (AKA Eragon) (-59,-42)
Wolfmother (-73, -101)
Kransky (-11, -100)

kransky

May 30, 2008
I just started up on server 4 then. I'm building an embassy now, and my user name is Kransky (-11,-100). how is the alliance going so far?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I just started up on server 4 then. I'm building an embassy now, and my user name is Kransky (-11,-100). how is the alliance going so far?
It's slow at first, but will pick up once your production fields have grown. :)

Welcome to EIC, BTW. :)

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
;)Still going slow, but the neighbors are starting to approach ~30 in size. Not too much of a problem as I'm almost there, myself.

Wolfmother

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
New Jersey
Sry for double post

I can start the alliance if you want? I have enough res to get it to lvl 3 or 4 IGM me if you want Philley32

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Sry for double post

I can start the alliance if you want? I have enough res to get it to lvl 3 or 4 IGM me if you want Philley32
Hi Wolfmother, just IGMd you. If you are ready to start the alliance, please do so. Please coordinate with Tinman. We need to make sure that the folks listed in an earlier post in this thread get invites.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
The EIC alliance has been established on S4. Kudos to Tinman for getting it done so quickly. :)

If you want to join, you must have an embassy level 1 and let Tinman know so he can send you an invite. Go to the embassy, and click on join alliance.

Wolfmother

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
New Jersey
If we get some more people on this server who know what they are doing we will do really good because we got an early start.