Want a Cheap iPhone 6 Case? Hit up Walmart. Or Amazon.

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, May 23, 2014.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

#1 Napoleon PhoneApart, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  2. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Does it come with a return policy and a 0 guarantee that it will work? $5.95 isn't exactly breaking the bank so Minisuit may not have to worry about a lawsuit. Apple will probably get sued for not releasing the specs and people possibly buying the wrong case, lol.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Personally, I don't care. I ordered them just to have them. :)

And if it does end up fitting the 4.7" iPhone 6, then all the better.

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

With only 3 or 4 months until the iPhone 6 release, one would think some of the most trusted case makers would already have the specs. If not yet, then very soon.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If there is a lawsuit, at least it won't be a big one... just a minisuit ... :D

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

RB1395_0710_ART_MAIN.jpg

7. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

I have always bought my accessories off eBay for a fraction of what Apple wanted for comparable: Cases, cords, adapters, in-car players, etc. Mostly they come from Hong Kong or something. I recently got a spare wall charger, in my choice of color, for $5 shipped. Got a rubber case that looks remarkably like a cassette tape for 90 cents shipped. Car charger for $2.25, etc. Never had a problem with any of them, and they are usually ready when the new phone comes out.

IMO, buying Apple accessories is being a sucker. I have yet to see a reason why I would.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Preference for quality products that safely and consistently charge iPhones doesn't make someone a sucker. Apple chargers were engineered and designed to work correctly with the iPhone and to be safe. Cheap knockoff chargers don't provide consistent, filtered power. They have ripple through that can damage the phone's circuitry and they can start fires and even cause electrocution.

The problems and safety issues caused by low quality Chinese chargers became bad enough that Apple instituted a Power Adapter Tackback Program in 2013. The circuitry in Apple chargers is complex, innovative and smooth. Unlike the counterfeits, it provides a constant voltage and regulated current.

These comparison images show how the non-OEM charger is overworked, has four times the ripple and can't deliver the same amount of power that the Apple product delivers.

9. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I'm leery on cheap chargers from China as well, but for things like cases or screen protectors I always get good cheap ones from eBay...

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I like Apple cables because I like to allow reliable music pass-through. So that makes me a sucker?

11. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

I've had iPhone since the first one. I've bought many, many cords, chargers, and other plug-in accessories off eBay, in spite of hearing the horror stories, and have never once had one give me any problems of any kind whatsoever. The number of items has to be in the dozens. Not one problem.

Maybe I just walk between the raindrops, but given my own personal experience over several years, it makes no sense to me to pay 3,5,10 times more for an accessory just because Apple sells it. But maybe 'sucker' was too harsh a word.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, the only reason I even replied was because of your usage of the word "sucker." I'm not talking about cases, cables or anything else here - just chargers. There is a huge quality difference. You seem to be implying that Apple chargers are nothing more than knockoffs with a name slapped on the side, and that is certainly not the case. There is is evidence to support OEM chargers being superior in many ways. I explained why they cost more and how the counterfeits aren't safe to use. Did you check the links I posted to back up what I said?

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

"Sucker" was too harsh a word. I don't consider myself a "sucker" because I pay for quality and want reliable pass-through of music instead of the cheap charge/sync cables. Yes, I have a couple of those cheaper cables around somewhere, but I have the good stuff in my office and in my car.

14. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

No, I didn't check your links. You're a moderator here, so I am willing to take your word for what you say.

I hereby retract my use of the word 'sucker'.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

16. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Monoprice for lightning cables/chargers. Never a problem with anything from them. :)

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I use a 10' certified Monoprice lightning cable. No problems at all.

18. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

It's hard to know what to believe. With the first iPhone I spent the big money on Apple accessories. Then I found the aftermarket, and not knowing otherwise, started buying there. All these years later, I have been buying aftermarket and have yet to have one item affect a phone negatively. Never had a problem to this day. So when I see articles like the one linked I remember that on the 'net one can find a story that says anything they want it to, on any side of any subject.

In the end, we are all free to do- and believe- what we want. For me, I'll go with my own experience: continue using aftermarket accessories. The many hundreds of dollars I've saved over the years will easily replace my phone in the instance the tiny chance of damage does in fact happen.

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The certified off-brand accessories aren't so bad. But I won't risk non certified "knock offs" from China just to save a couple bucks.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, the cheap Chinese knockoffs are the problem. Certified products such as Monoprice's aren't likely to cause problems. Here's another article showing how the knockoffs damage iPhones.