Want some advice for a Man Cave

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
This weekend, Karen and I decided that my birthday present this year will be a redesign of our bonus room into a Man Cave for me. I have a few ideas about what to put in it but I'm still looking for suggestions on what sort of things are a necessity in a man cave. The room in question is about 14.5' x 13' so it's not huge nor is the budget. *

Currently, I'm planning on a wall-mounted TV, a couple of recliners, maybe a small fridge, an Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, and lighting (both neon and traditional). So, if you were to have your own man cave, what is the one other thing you'd want in it?*

A stripper (including the pole), and disco ball are not options.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
What good is a man cave without a stripper pole? ;)

I guess the only thing you're missing is the PS3 for bluray. And some type of game with plastic instruments such as Rock Band.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
My man cave consists of projector, 120" Pull-down screen, movie theater seats, bar, dart board, tourney size air hockey table. Its in a full basement so I have more room, but you get an idea. Gotta have a bar, drew!

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Thanks for the suggestions, I actually like the brass pole idea but for use as a quick exit. The room is actually over the garage so I could cut a hole in the floor and run it down into the garage like a fire pole.

I think a bar might take up too much space but I'll see how things look once the rooms empty. Not getting a PS3 but a Bluray player may be added, as will surround sound.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
For reference, here is the room before. It looks bigger than it is due to the wide angle shots:

You might say it's already a man cave but I don't use the room since I have no need for a home office. The big desk will find a new home and I want to maximize the floor space which is why I'm less inclined to build out a wet bar.

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I think it's good but needs a lot of organization. Also, as you said, maybe you can remove the big desk and just box the unnecessary things in a separate place to free up some space for a new smaller desk.

Ncalien

Bronze
Dec 2, 2009
Greensboro,NC
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the suggestions, I actually like the brass pole idea but for use as a quick exit. The room is actually over the garage so I could cut a hole in the floor and run it down into the garage like a fire pole.

I think a bar might take up too much space but I'll see how things look once the rooms empty. Not getting a PS3 but a Bluray player may be added, as will surround sound.
LMAO at the thought of a fire pole...That idea has so much potential fail but would still be soo cool and unique

Do you have any plans like painting the walls a different color ? If so i would go with a darker color and adorn the walls with posters or memorabilia if you are a sports fan. Also it may be a given but whats a man cave without the perfect couch that also serves as a great place to nap.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I think it's good but needs a lot of organization. Also, as you said, maybe you can remove the big desk and just box the unnecessary things in a separate place to free up some space for a new smaller desk.
The idea is to empty the room then "rebuild" it. That desk is definitely going but another desk won't be going back in. The final room will be for relaxing and being entertained, not working.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
LMAO at the thought of a fire pole...That idea has so much potential fail but would still be soo cool and unique

Do you have any plans like painting the walls a different color ? If so i would go with a darker color and adorn the walls with posters or memorabilia if you are a sports fan. Also it may be a given but whats a man cave without the perfect couch that also serves as a great place to nap.
Hadn't decided on paint yet but I have a Harley and might use it as inspiration. And for napping, the recliner will be be my couch.

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
My Dad has the recliner, he loves it. He's always on it when he's home. It's going to make you really lazy, though. :p

How about something like this:

With a recliner instead of those two chairs. A mini fridge and a portable bar (like the one in the first picture) on your right.

If you have a notebook, I recommend getting something like this http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html

It's very, very nice. I'm pretty sure it will fit other laptops as well if you don't own a MacBook. It will go perfectly with your recliner.