Bronze
Jun 13, 2009
she has an 80gb ipod so I am thinking the 16gb phone should
be enough...what do you think?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It will be plenty. She'll be able to have thousands of songs, a bunch of apps and several movies on there with free space to spare. When she wants a new movie on it, she can just unsync one of the old ones.

screeema

Bronze
Jun 13, 2009
that's what I was thinking, I mean she does have an extensive music library but she can keep it on the ipod..
thanks

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I have an 80gb iPod that I keep everything on and an iPod Touch. As the previous poster said, when I want something different, unsync the old for the new. For me, it's been enough.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Why not just spend the few extra bucks and get the 32 gig?

screeema

Bronze
Jun 13, 2009
If you think $100 is a few bucks, then good for you man. :)

Joe

exactly, and she is only 19 and does have an 80gb ipod so I think a 16gb should be just fine...;)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I agree with everyone else. And especially since both come in black and white, so you have a choice. Not like the 3G where you had to get the 16GB if you wanted white.

Jun 27, 2009
Loveland Ohio
I'd just spring for the extra memory myself.
I have a smaller ipod and now always wishing i had more space because the "jockey-ing" all the music, movies etc back and forth is annoying.

I bought the 32g iPhone and have not regretted it at all....it was worth the extra $$$ just my opinion of course.

you can"t really go wrong with any iPhone! :eek:k:eek:k

macscac

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
i have an 80g ipod classic and a 16g 3gs.
imo, 16g is plenty... i keep about 14-15 on it... i transfer a few albums every couple weeks. its no biggie

thetonyclifton

Bronze
Nov 12, 2007
I agree, I also paid the extra for the 32G but then I don't have an 80GB ipod.

Truth be told though even if I did I think i would rather just use the one device (the iPhone) and wouldn't use my ipod as I wouldn't want to carry it around.

I have an old nano which I use for the gym - the iPhone gets used for everything else. With that in mind the higher the capacity of the iPhone the better.

So you have to tell:-
If your daughter would want to carry 2 devices
or
Can adapt to a smaller capacity be that 16G or 32G and keep the rest on iTunes.

$100 is a lot of extra money so you then have to factor that in too - if my parents were to buy me any iPhone I would be delighted - as a suggestion - have you thought of asking her - or telling her you will buy her a 16G unless she wants to find the extra herself for the 32G?

I'd just spring for the extra memory myself.
I have a smaller ipod and now always wishing i had more space because the "jockey-ing" all the music, movies etc back and forth is annoying.

I bought the 32g iPhone and have not regretted it at all....it was worth the extra $$$ just my opinion of course.

you can"t really go wrong with any iPhone! :eek:k:eek:k

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
In my opinion the 16GB will be fine. You can't listen to 32GB of songs at a time anyway so why waste the money. Your daughter since she has an iPod is already familiar with iTunes I assume. The correct management of playlists makes 16GB plenty of space. I don't know why people can't understand that. Having an iPod to hold all your music makes the iPhone a great mobile carry around. I wonder if the people who say get the largest GB's carried around their entire tape or CD collection, Not. Mark

thetonyclifton

Bronze
Nov 12, 2007
That isn't really an argument.

Tapes and cds take up physical space - in this case the extra music takes up no space as the 16 and 32G iPhones are the same size.

Sure you can live with less music and videos or even none at all but the less you have to compromise the better and more choice you have.

Correct, you cannot listen to 16g of music or video at one time unless you are on a trip/traveling, but that isn't the point - the more you have on there the more choice you have when pushing play for however long that is.

There is no credible argument of taking a 16G iPhone over a 32G except price.

In my opinion the 16GB will be fine. You can't listen to 32GB of songs at a time anyway so why waste the money. Your daughter since she has an iPod is already familiar with iTunes I assume. The correct management of playlists makes 16GB plenty of space. I don't know why people can't understand that. Having an iPod to hold all your music makes the iPhone a great mobile carry around. I wonder if the people who say get the largest GB's carried around their entire tape or CD collection, Not. Mark

jeffjazzy

Jul 26, 2009
Yeah the iPhone is a great choice for anyone who love their tunes. And if you would like to see where she has been check out Cellflare. My wife two kids and myself are useing this app to see where we are when the family goes out for the day. We can keep an eye on our kids while downtown. luv it
All of us have the iPhone and we can't put it down. Well maybe to sleep. no one watches TV anymore its all Apple now/

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
That isn't really an argument.

Tapes and cds take up physical space - in this case the extra music takes up no space as the 16 and 32G iPhones are the same size.

Sure you can live with less music and videos or even none at all but the less you have to compromise the better and more choice you have.

Correct, you cannot listen to 16g of music or video at one time unless you are on a trip/traveling, but that isn't the point - the more you have on there the more choice you have when pushing play for however long that is.

There is no credible argument of taking a 16G iPhone over a 32G except price.
I strongly disagree 8GB and 16GB is a whole lot of choice. Why do people always "want more food than they can eat"? Mark

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
She has an 80GB iPod, but how much of that space is used?

I have a 30GB iPod Video, and it is only half full right now, and that is STILL 10 days straight of listening to music, before I could hear every song, and I'd guess that I probably only listen to about 5% of what I have.

Anywho, I opted for the 16GB iPhone, because even when I had my 8GB first gen, I still had plenty of space left on there. I don't use my phone for videos, and only a handful of songs for the gym (15-20) and the rest for apps.

I personally don't see the 32GB as ever being worth it, unless of course the 32GB becomes the small version on the next iteration of the iPhone, much like Apple has done in the past.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
16 should be fine especially since she already has the 80 GB.

For me, however, space is never enough. I've got a 160 GB Classic and I have the 32 GB 3GS so I never have to worry about not having a particular song.

thetonyclifton

Bronze
Nov 12, 2007
You can think that 8GB and 16GB are enough but if you look I didn't disagree with that - I said that it is possible to adapt to any configuration - but as long as you have more than 16GB of music and video you will need to compromise something - whether that be syncing more or not having some things you might want. Which is why I said the only reason for a 16GB over a 32GB is money.

Its not really about wanting more food than you can eat - that is greed in taking something you cant use that will be wasted - there is no wastage with having 'too much' storage space on an ipod - it is about choice. If you want a food analogy the 16GB is like taking a packed lunch to work and the 32GB is going to a cafe and choosing whatever you want from the menu.

I survived with 8GB of storage on my launch iPhone (which I only just stopped using) - it was ok I managed fine - but then I did take the larger option at the time - had I taken the 4GB option I am not sure I would have been happy for the full time - taking the larger option allowed me to skip out a full upgrade - I skipped the 3G and went straight to 3GS so I may have actually saved money in the long run.

This all comes down to personal choice, how much music the individual has and their listening habits. Some people have a little music, some have a ton, some people know exactly what they want to listen to, others want random things at random times. I am simply of the opinion that more choice is always better, I want a multi media device that restricts me as little as possible - it is essentially a luxury device- so you shouldnt have to compromise unless completely necessary.

I strongly disagree 8GB and 16GB is a whole lot of choice. Why do people always "want more food than they can eat"? Mark