Want to create a theme on my own....Not sure where to start?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Hey guys,

I'm interested in creating a theme, but I'm not quite sure where to start. I have looked at themes that I have put onto my desktop from the iPhone so I know all the extensions and dimensions I need.

I guess my biggest thing is using photoshop. I've used a few times, but a while ago and not for anything too major. I had to manipulate photos for a film class.

Anyway, any tips or tricks to help me on my journey? Linc, I know you have some. And I bet Hayes does too.

Thanks guys! :)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Well, iPhone icons differ depending on what theme you're using and what person created it. Usually, though, they're somewhere between 50 x 50 and 60 x 60 pixels. I'd start with 57 x 57. This is what you'll see.

It may seem rather depressing, but that's where everything available on Cydia comes from. From here, what the icon looks like is up to you - you may want it to rounded, or more square, or maybe oddly shaped like the Digg Theme.

A good place for you to start would be this template. It's made for standard iPhone icons - the kind you'd find on the AppStore. This may or may not be the kind of icon you're shooting for, but it'll help you get the feel of creating the icons. Then also look at this guide and Apple's own rundown on icons.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Well, iPhone icons differ depending on what theme you're using and what person created it. Usually, though, they're somewhere between 50 x 50 and 60 x 60 pixels. I'd start with 57 x 57. This is what you'll see.

It may seem rather depressing, but that's where everything available on Cydia comes from. From here, what the icon looks like is up to you - you may want it to rounded, or more square, or maybe oddly shaped like the Digg Theme.

A good place for you to start would be this template. It's made for standard iPhone icons - the kind you'd find on the AppStore. This may or may not be the kind of icon you're shooting for, but it'll help you get the feel of creating the icons. Then also look at this guide and Apple's own rundown on icons.
Thanks Linc, I knew you could help me :)

How about things like batteries. I have one theme that has a different charge screen than wall paper. How many renditions of that picture would I need to show the increase in charge? Does my question make sense?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
There are a total of 18 battery images, each increasing a bit in charge. They go in a folder called com.apple.springboard, which goes in a folder called Bundles, which goes in your theme. As with the icons, the size and look of a battery differs from theme to theme. I've uploaded the com.apple.springboard folder with the battery images inside of it from the Gradiance theme for you to look through. Download it here.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Lincoln! I need you!

Ok, so I'm getting very frustrated with my lack of photoshop knowledge.

I have an icon I want to make. It's quite adorable, but I digress....

I want it to have rounded edges. But i'm having a hard time figuring out how to do something that should be so simple.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
It's pretty simple. Here's a quick guide on it.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I now have three icons done. Wow, this is not quite so easy.

I also have the wallpapers and stuff done. But that was fairly easy to do.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Nope, creating a theme is certainly not something done in one day. Take your time - I look forward to seeing the final result.