Want to have 2 iPhones with same info

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by allysdad, Oct 1, 2012.

1. allysdad

allysdad New Member

I just got an iPhone 5 and want to setup my old iPhone 4 exactly like my new one. I use the 4 as an iPod. I know about setting up two different libraries in iTunes but I want them the same. Thing I'm worried about is if I hook up the 4 iTunes will make a backup of it. Just wondering if there is an easier way instead of copying the 5 library and making new one for the 4. Thanks in advance.

2. iPhoneFan10

iPhoneFan10 Member
    Bronze

The best way is to backup your 5 to iTunes on your computer after it is set up to your satisfaction. Reset your 4 to factory (Settings>General>Reset). Set up your 4 from a restored copy of your 5 backup.. They should be identical then.

3. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

I agree with iPhoneFan10. Get your 5 the way you want it and back it up. No matter what the iTunes account does once you hook the 4 back up won't really matter. iTunes manages devices separately so it isn't like you will wipe something out between the 4 and the 5. Just make sure you name the device differently than the other one (iPhone 4 vs. iPhone 5) in iTunes on setup. Once that is done they are and will always be two separate devices within iTunes. If you currently sync all aspects of your device within iTunes, plugging in the old phone and syncing will result in basically a duplicate of the other just by virtue of the sync without even worrying about backups and restores.

It is much harder to maintain two or more devices when you want them to be different than it is to keep them the same. If both devices are registered and synced to the same iTunes account and the same computer the rest will be easy.

4. allysdad

allysdad New Member

Ok thanks seems rather easier than I thought. Ill give it a try. Thanks again

5. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

I did it with my 4S and 5, with no problem. I restored my 5 with a 4S backup and now have them both identical.

6. allysdad

allysdad New Member

sorry but do i hit reset all settings or erase all content. i figure erase all content. just not sure

7. iPhoneFan10

iPhoneFan10 Member
    Bronze

If you have a good backup already on iTunes, I would erase all content although when you do the restore, it should erase the phone during the process..

8. allysdad

allysdad New Member

ok thanks ill try tomorrow

9. allysdad

allysdad New Member

It worked perfectly. Thanks