Want to turn my iPad 2 into laptop

Discussion in 'iPad Cases and Accessories' started by doinitmyway, Mar 22, 2012.

1. doinitmyway

doinitmyway New Member

Which of the wireless keyboards that connects to the iPad 2 to make it look like a little macbook works best? There are a number of them out there now. A few are $149. A few are $49. I want mind to have protection for the top and bottom and to have a USB connection.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'll be interested in replies to your question as well.

A girl I work with just got an Asus tablet. She had this snap-on keyboard which folded down over it and basically turned it into a netbook. The trackpad even had two-finger scrolling, which I thought was pretty cool. The downside was that it was top-heavy. I think she said it was $149. I don't think there is an iPad version of a keyboard like this (with trackpad) available, but I could be wrong.

IMG_1099.jpg

3. doinitmyway

doinitmyway New Member

The guy on my job that sits in the cubicle next to me has that same Asus tablet. He just purchased the keyboard. That's how I got interested in getting a keyboard. His keyboad has a USB connection. That is what I want, the USB and the trackpad. There are two keyboards for the iPad 2 out there for $149.00.

4. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I have the Zagg/Logitech keyboard. It's metal and holds my iPad 2 really well. It's not a laptop replacement, but I love it. No USB though.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

Attached Files:

5. Apple iAddicted

Apple iAddicted Contributor
    Bronze

if she can open the casing and add some stick on weights inside below the trackpad section it will totally solve the topheavy issue a few ounces will work wonders

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1!
    Only thing iPhone is missing is an expandable memory port! Come on Apple give us a microSD port already!

6. doinitmyway

doinitmyway New Member

Apple Addicted I so agree. It would be nice to have a microSD port, and Target that particular case that you have seems to be a popular one. I may have to look into it more. Not sure if there are any keyboards for the iPad with USB ports, Thought I saw one but it does not protect the front and back of the case. I need front and back protected.

7. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I put a zagg leather skin on the back of mine. I also have black leather smart cover. It gives scratch protection with or without the keyboard.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

8. Chancellor

Chancellor Contributor
    Bronze

I was soo close to buying that other tablet, glad I chose the iPad (for now at least). In another thread someone found one on eBay and I'm awaiting his response on now it is. Dent really look like a lil MBP but I'm sure anything that looks like a MBP converter is probably out of my price range lol.

9. GADeputy

GADeputy Member
    Bronze

I answered your post on the other thread. :)

10. Chancellor

Chancellor Contributor
    Bronze

Ty mate

11. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

@Europa

I'm surprised you found the Transformer top heavy. The battery in the keyboard is almost as large as that in the tablet. I do find the hinge action is heavy which may have given you the top heavy impression but they had to do that because the tablet is detachable. Also unlike a laptop, the top section is more than just display so...

In addition to the USB port it also adds a full size SD card and USB support for external drives. Not that that particular device as is would interest you. It might run Ubuntu though, not sure.

The New Transformer does SDXC support maxing it at 160GB between the onboard/microSD/SD ports.

Sent from Tapatalk

12. eye-Fone

eye-Fone Zealot
    Gold

Items to consider:

• Is it plugged into a computer via the USB cable?
    (many PCs' USB ports don't have enough power to charge the new iPads)

• Is it plugged into the same charging unit that came with the iPad?
    (other third-party chargers may not have enough power to charge the new iPad. iPhone chargers are weaker, but will charge them, albeit *very* slowly)

• If the charger is plugged into a power strip or a switched wall outlet, is the strip or outlet turned on?
    (I speak from personal experience!) :-(

Sent from my iPad 3 (64GB)

#12 eye-Fone, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014