wanted to upgrade to 2.1

prabhat

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I have an iPhone 2g with 2.1 firmware.... wanted to upgrade it to 2.2 and jailbreak it again.....
But i don't want to loose my Data, My SMS , My Contacts and my Apllications of which i don't have backup of applications... please help.... what should i do ... and also steps for upgrading and jailbreaking it...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You're apps are in your iTunes library (as long as you sync your phone) so there's nothing you need to do for that. Sync your contacts with a Google/Gmail or Yahoo account in iTunes under contacts. To save your notes and SMS, you'll need to use an SSH program (iPhoneBrowser for PC or Diskaid for Mac) both are free. It gives you root access to the phone. Find the notes file and the SMS file and save them to your desktop. To upgrade, put it in DFU mode and connect it to iTunes, it give you the option to "restore an iPhone you are having problems with", restore to factory settings, do the 2.2.1 (or whatever version you want) FW upgrade, and rejailbreak. After than, you can use the SSH program to copy those files back onto the phone.

I'm pretty sure the 3.0 update that will be released really soon will sync notes in iTunes.

Jun 6, 2009
you just need to sync with your iTunes before the upgrade and jailbreak. you can restore them back after you are done with the jailbreak.
maybe you can take a look here...
http://www.iPhonepro101.com/jailbreak/jailbreak1.htm

I have an iPhone 2g with 2.1 firmware.... wanted to upgrade it to 2.2 and jailbreak it again.....
But i don't want to loose my Data, My SMS , My Contacts and my Apllications of which i don't have backup of applications... please help.... what should i do ... and also steps for upgrading and jailbreaking it...

prabhat

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
You're apps are in your iTunes library (as long as you sync your phone) so there's nothing you need to do for that. Sync your contacts with a Google/Gmail or Yahoo account in iTunes under contacts. To save your notes and SMS, you'll need to use an SSH program (iPhoneBrowser for PC or Diskaid for Mac) both are free. It gives you root access to the phone. Find the notes file and the SMS file and save them to your desktop. To upgrade, put it in DFU mode and connect it to iTunes, it give you the option to "restore an iPhone you are having problems with", restore to factory settings, do the 2.2.1 (or whatever version you want) FW upgrade, and rejailbreak. After than, you can use the SSH program to copy those files back onto the phone.

I'm pretty sure the 3.0 update that will be released really soon will sync notes in iTunes.
can u tell me
1. Which one is better 2.2 or 2.2.1 ... and is there jailbreak available for 2.2.1
2. The steps to be followed to jailbreak
3. How to put it on DFU mode.
4. root directory for my SMS... i mean where i can found my SMS on my

Jun 6, 2009
can u tell me
1. Which one is better 2.2 or 2.2.1 ... and is there jailbreak available for 2.2.1
2. The steps to be followed to jailbreak
3. How to put it on DFU mode.
4. root directory for my SMS... i mean where i can found my SMS on my
take a look at the link i gave to you...it has the answers for your question 2 and 3. http://www.iPhonepro101.com/jailbreak/jailbreak1.htm

if you have an iPhone 3G, make sure your baseband is 2.28.0 otherwise you won't be able to unlock it by using yellowsn0w

the jailbreak steps are all the same, the different is the firmware version....just make sure you download the firmware you want.

prabhat

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
you just need to sync with your iTunes before the upgrade and jailbreak. you can restore them back after you are done with the jailbreak.
maybe you can take a look here...
http://www.iPhonepro101.com/jailbreak/jailbreak1.htm
Thanks for your reply...i wanted to ask u one thing...tht whether i need to be connected to Internet when jailbreaking.....because last time i Jailbreaked 10 months back using Quickpwn it was asking to connect to some Apple link after restore... at tht time i did some mistake and thn jailbreak was not successful and only emergency number was allowed to dial.... thn i have to pay to one professional for jailbreak.. but this i wanted to do it myself....
Do i need to download some BLfile also along with quickpwn file ?
while jailbreaking do i need to keep O2 simcard inside or any sim because now im using Airtel sim in INDIA....

prabhat

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
take a look at the link i gave to you...it has the answers for your question 2 and 3. http://www.iPhonepro101.com/jailbreak/jailbreak1.htm

if you have an iPhone 3G, make sure your baseband is 2.28.0 otherwise you won't be able to unlock it by using yellowsn0w

the jailbreak steps are all the same, the different is the firmware version....just make sure you download the firmware you want.
i have iPhone2g.. but don't know my baseband... howtochek my base band....
also i wanted to wheter 2.2 is better or 2.2.1? and is jailbreak is available for 2.2.21
and what is yellowsnow... i have windows xp and will use quickpwn....

Jun 6, 2009
for the first generation iPhone...the baseband don't matter.
yes, jailbreak for 2.2.1 is available.
most of people can't tell the differece of 2.2 and 2.2.1

i have iPhone2g.. but don't know my baseband... howtochek my base band....
also i wanted to wheter 2.2 is better or 2.2.1? and is jailbreak is available for 2.2.21
and what is yellowsnow... i have windows xp and will use quickpwn....

Jun 6, 2009
you don't have to pay those so call profession to jailbreak/unlock for you.
the software for jailbreaking is free and information is free on line also...

iPhone is built to be tough....you can try again and again to jailbreak it. it won't be dead especially for the first generation one.

no internet needed while or after jailbreak.

Thanks for your reply...i wanted to ask u one thing...tht whether i need to be connected to Internet when jailbreaking.....because last time i Jailbreaked 10 months back using Quickpwn it was asking to connect to some Apple link after restore... at tht time i did some mistake and thn jailbreak was not successful and only emergency number was allowed to dial.... thn i have to pay to one professional for jailbreak.. but this i wanted to do it myself....
Do i need to download some BLfile also along with quickpwn file ?
while jailbreaking do i need to keep O2 simcard inside or any sim because now im using Airtel sim in INDIA....

prabhat

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
you don't have to pay those so call profession to jailbreak/unlock for you.
the software for jailbreaking is free and information is free on line also...

iPhone is built to be tough....you can try again and again to jailbreak it. it won't be dead especially for the first generation one.

no internet needed while or after jailbreak.
Thanks ...i did it!