Warning about modding phone with a locked SIM

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Boys and girls, last night was a heck of a night. I'm running 1.1.1 and I have never done 3rd party apps or unlocked my phone. Last night I figured I would give it a try. To cut to the chase, after installing several apps from AppTapp, when I plugged my phone into my computer it showed 6.6GB allocated to "Other". I tried deleting my music, movies, resynching, and all kinds of stuff.

I eventually had to restore my phone. As you know, restoring requires a new activation. When I tried to activate my phone, it said I could not activate it because my SIM was locked. SO STUPID! It would not let me unlock my SIM card, which meant I couldn't call myself via the *#3307# or whatever that code was. All I could do was dial 911. This is what I eventually did, after many hours of trying everything I could think of. I swapped a T-Mobile card in it, and was able to get into the settings menu via a call glitch and adding prefs: to a contact. Then I did a hot swap with my AT&T SIM card and was able to unlock it and then activate it.

Be careful if you don't have another SIM handy...was a painful lesson.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
thats because you need the sim puk code that you can get from whatever carrier you have... not sure exactly if you have to call in or can do on the web with t-mobile but for att you can get your puk code right from the "my account" area on the att wireless website... or just do it with no sim in at all and you have to do the pref:/1F and www.jailbreakme.com to get it activated again... of course it wouldn't reactivate with the t-mobile sim in... thats why there are activation bypass's created like jailbreakme....

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
thats because you need the sim puk code that you can get from whatever carrier you have... not sure exactly if you have to call in or can do on the web with t-mobile but for att you can get your puk code right from the "my account" area on the att wireless website... or just do it with no sim in at all and you have to do the pref:/1F and www.jailbreakme.com to get it activated again... of course it wouldn't reactivate with the t-mobile sim in... thats why there are activation bypass's created like jailbreakme....
On the contrary -- the card was not locked out but locked. I had no need for the puk code. When the card is locked and the phone is not activated you cannot do ANY emergency calls except 911 which is why i couldnt access jailbreakme.com in the first place

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
you prob coulda done it with no sim in it.... don't see why you could hit 911 but not *#307#... weird

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
you prob coulda done it with no sim in it.... don't see why you could hit 911 but not *#307#... weird
I agree weird. Without a SIM it wouldn't let me do anything except 911. With the card, it wouldn't let you do the *#307# as it somehow had to access the sim card to do this and it was locked. I was very frustrated in the whole deal and will never make that mistake again.