Warranty Advice Needed!

:-)

Bronze
Sep 21, 2010
Preston, England
So basically, ive had my iPhone4 since the day it came out, over time more and more problems have arisen with it. The majority of the problems i have put up with such as an unresponsive home button as im too busy with work and i live about an hours drive away from an Apple store to get it looked at.

Approximately two weeks ago my mic stopped working on it so i decided it was time to finally book myself in at a genius bar and the get the phone looked at. I was supposed to go in last Saturday to get it looked at but work commitments prevented me from doing this so it was re arranged for the 13th of July (today) HOWEVER whilst i was at work the day before, for the first time ever i dropped my phone on the floor accidentally and now half the screen is compleatly shattered. Absolutely couldnt believe it. I knew it would happen at a time like this!

Question is,
A) Will the guys at the Genius bar Assume the damage to the screen has caused the origional problems.
B) If it is a hardwear fault, how would they go about replacing the phone since it has a damaged screen?
C) Or do you think ill just get lucky and get a replacement handset? :)

I know which one im hoping for but just thought id ask to see if anyone else had been in a similar situation as to the one im in. Any help would be appreciated.

And yes the phone is still in warranty.

Thanks in advance!

Bronze
Sep 21, 2010
Preston, England
If anyone is actually interested, went into the Apple store today, after a quick check of the water sensors, the phone was replaced with a new one no questions asked. Even with the smashed screen.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Apple don't repair faulty phones under guarantee they just replace them with a refurb. Worked well for you. :)

Bronze
Sep 21, 2010
Preston, England
I was so surprised that it was replaced because of the state of the screen, but im not complaining! :)

Funny thing is that when i rung the Apple store at the trafford center in Manchester they said that they wouldn't replace it because of the condition. Good job i went to the other in the Arndale center. There was only a week of warranty left on it as well! haha

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I was so surprised that it was replaced because of the state of the screen, but im not complaining! :)

Funny thing is that when i rung the Apple store at the trafford center in Manchester they said that they wouldn't replace it because of the condition. Good job i went to the other in the Arndale center. There was only a week of warranty left on it as well! haha
Your warranty wont start again, you will still only have a week left. The trafford centre guys are much stricter before swapping I have found, compared to the Arndale, but if I have had a fault - even one they cant replicate - ive had a new phone

Bronze
Sep 21, 2010
Preston, England
Yeah i know, i meant that i was lucky to finally get it sorted this week rather than next.
I know which one ill be going to again if i get another hardware fault ;) haha

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I am not at all surprised that they replaced it. Check out my customer service experience with Apple here

I didn't even have issues with it prior to dropping and smashing it - they still replaced - awesome