Warranty?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

reginaalear

Bronze
Jun 21, 2010
Western Kentucky
I have a 4s but then went the S3 for a little while. Well I decided I wanted a 5 so I traded it for a 5 last night. My question is will I have any kind of warranty on it since I traded for it? She didn't give me a box or anything with it. I also need a new power cord because for some reason it doesn't charge all the time. It looks as though she had it to where the wires are lose in it where it connects to the phone. Thanks in advance.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The warranty automatically transferred over to you. It will be good for one year from the original date of purchase. You can get the Lightning cable replaced at Apple for free.

reginaalear

Bronze
Jun 21, 2010
Western Kentucky
Thanks. How do I find the purchase date? I can't even activate it yet because I haven't got a nano sim yet. I'm going to do that today. I guess I will call Apple today and try to get a replacement cable.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
After you get it activated, go to Settings > General > About > Serial Number. Then copy and past the serial number on Apple's warranty checker. Here's the link:
https://selfsolve.apple.com/wcResults.do

You can call them or go online to set up an appointment at the Genius Bar for the cable replacement.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thanks so much. We don't have Genius Bar anywhere near me but they should let me send mail it in I hope. I appreciate all the help.
You're welcome. :) You might be able to get it replaced at at Mac store if you have one nearby that has a contract with them. Otherwise, Apple will ship you a replacement, but you'll have to pay for shipping if you don't have AppleCare+. You just have the standard AppleCare and it doesn't cover shipping charges. It should be cheaper than buying one at Walmart or Best Buy, though. They cost $19 new.

reginaalear

Bronze
Jun 21, 2010
Western Kentucky
It looked genuine but I just went out and bought a new one. It charges fine now. I did find out today when I went to get a new SIM card that it is actually a Verizon iPhone that has been unlocked. The guy at AT&T said that the imei numbers for AT&T never start with 99

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It looked genuine but I just went out and bought a new one. It charges fine now. I did find out today when I went to get a new SIM card that it is actually a Verizon iPhone that has been unlocked. The guy at AT&T said that the imei numbers for AT&T never start with 99
The Verizon iPhone 5 is sold unlocked for GSM networks. Because of that, it will work fine on AT&T, but the downside is you won't be able to access AT&T's LTE network from it. You'll be limited to 4G HSPA+ on AT&T on that phone. This is due to a hardware limitation; the cellular radio in that model isn't able to access the frequency that AT&T's LTE runs on. That was deceitful for the seller to tell you it was an AT&T phone.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
AT&T announced that their 4G coverage is now 4G LTE. You said your device is an iPhone 5 with AT&T?
Read my posts. You're confusing her with incorrect information. She's already said this is a Verizon phone.

ATT's 3G network was rebranded as 4G HSPA+. This has nothing to do with their LTE network.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
The Verizon iPhone 5 is sold unlocked for GSM networks. Because of that, it will work fine on AT&T, but the downside is you won't be able to access AT&T's LTE network from it. You'll be limited to 4G HSPA+ on AT&T on that phone. This is due to a hardware limitation; the cellular radio in that model isn't able to access the frequency that AT&T's LTE runs on. That was deceitful for the seller to tell you it was an AT&T phone.
Looks like Europa is right. The device you have is an unlocked Verizon iPhone to work for AT&T, thereforee it does not have the capability and hardware to use LTE.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
What is the LTE network?
So I won't have 4g on this phone? I normally only use it on wifi but it is a little annoying that she lied to me.
AT&T has a 4G HSPA+ network and an LTE network. Verizon has a 3G network and an LTE network. They also have older, slower networks. The radios in the phone have to be capable of accessing the fastest network. If they aren't, you'll only be able to access the next fastest one. The AT&T iPhone 4S cannot access LTE; it can access 4G HSPA+ and lower. The AT&T iPhone 5 is the only iPhone that can access AT&T LTE. The benefit to LTE is that it's a faster network. This means you can surf the web (while on cellular) much faster. Some cites have 50+ Mbps LTE speeds while HSPA+ speeds are only around 5 Mbps or so.

The Verizon model that you have can access Verion's LTE network, but not AT&T's. It's a hardware limitation of the radio chip.

If cellular speeds are important to you, you might want to get your money back since she misrepresented the phone.

That being said, you might not even have LTE available in your area. Big cites have it, but most smaller cities don't have it yet. AT&T will still be installing it for years. You can look at the coverage map to see. If you don't have AT&T LTE, it's not a big deal, but I just wanted you to be aware that you'll never be able to access it from that phone.