Was my 1.1.3 Jailbreak Successful?

GolfNut

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
After spending hours each evening this week attempting to upgrade from JB 1.1.2 to JB 1.1.3, getting many errors and restoring to the boring 1.1.3 each night, I finally completed the process to JB 1.1.3. I ended up using the Hackint0sh version, with the Official 1.1.3 Upgrader package even though the process called to use the "1.1.3 soft upgrade" package (the soft upgrade didn't show up). It seemed I was having things happen that were not mentioned anywhere in these threads.

However, how can I be certain it really worked the the full extent it should have? What should I look for to know for certain I have succeeded?

Here is what I think I have now:

Week 39 phone - Ser. # 7V739......(can't remember if it was 1.0.2 or 1.1.1 OOTB)
Modem firmware - 04.03.13_G
Baseband - ? What is this and how can I tell what I should have to work with the future SDK?

I have not had to install any fixes for email and the Gmail works fine. My YouTube works fine. My Google Maps with Locate and Pinpoint works fine. I'm able to install apps from Installer. Some work, and some don't. I'm guessing this is due to the directory structure change. SysInfo shows some processes running as the mobile user and some as root. The only problem I seem to be having (coincidentally?) is I'm getting a lot of dropped calls. This was never a problem before.

Maybe we need a sticky here with the signs of a successful 1.1.3 JB listed...grin.

Thanks to everyone who provided insights and processes to help me complete this. I did all of this just because I wanted (needed) Lockbox (and squiggly icons).

John

GolfNut

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
I just realized that I never replaced the lockdown file either.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
well you can download iNdependence (if you have a mac) and open it and when it connects to your iPhone it will say at the bottom what firmware your running and if its jailbroken or not. Also tells you if your activated...but you probably know that my looking to see if you have any service.

GolfNut

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
well you can download iNdependence (if you have a mac) and open it and when it connects to your iPhone it will say at the bottom what firmware your running and if its jailbroken or not. Also tells you if your activated...but you probably know that my looking to see if you have any service.

I'm on a Win PC and used iBrickr.

As you can see in my OP, I know what the firmware version is on my phone, but I'm not sure what version I should have after a successful JB. I can load 3rd party apps, so I know the JB did take. I also don't quite understand what "baseband" is and how I can tell if it's correct on mine.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I'm on a Win PC and used iBrickr.

As you can see in my OP, I know what the firmware version is on my phone, but I'm not sure what version I should have after a successful JB. I can load 3rd party apps, so I know the JB did take. I also don't quite understand what "baseband" is and how I can tell if it's correct on mine.
Baseband is the processor/firmware that runs the phone, and other wireless functions. Yours (04.03.13) is the correct baseband for firmware 1.1.3. The iPhone has two processors: the Infineon baseband and ARM. The ARM processor is what runs iPhone apps.

Your bootloader is version 3.9. That would be the bootloader for the baseband. It ensures the baseband can boot, and install updates, without having the device turn into a (real) brick. It's also the gatekeeper to the baseband, so to speak. Due to a flaw in version 3.9, that allowed easy software SIM unlocking, the baseband was updated to version 4.6 beginning with iPhones that shipped with firmware 1.1.2 (and now, despite claims that it was locked down good and tight, an exploit has been found in version 4.6 too).

The bootloader has never been updated via an update from Apple, as it is a risky process (if something goes awry while writing a new bootloader the device could turn into a true brick).

The primary reason to care about the bootloader version is if you want to unlock. If you have a valid iPhone AT&T account it really doesn't matter.

BTW: I assume you are jailbroken (have Installer, etc.), and if so it's definitely 1.1.3.

--
Mike

GolfNut

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
Thanks Mike.

This is the info I was looking for. I had so much trouble with the JB process(es) that I wasn't sure of what I ended up with, what I was supposed to end up with, and how to tell.

I believe some posts say Nate's process did something with the 1.1.3 functionality that would prevent future functionality with SDK apps. I think they mentioned Nikita. Is this true and how can we tell if we got what was intented with 1.1.3?

John

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
no, this is not true at all.

unless you updated straight from 1.11, you WILL have SDK functionality.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
no, this is not true at all.

unless you updated straight from 1.11, you WILL have SDK functionality.
Yes, this is correct. No matter what jailbreak is used if you go from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 you are fine.

The "breaks Nikita" nonsense came about because one dev team member heard that some people couldn't access purchased music or movies on their iPhones, after running Nate's JB. Well those people had all went from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3. The "dev team" member never clarified that it was a 1.1.1 issue, even though it's mentioned right in the dev team's jailbreak own readme. It's laughable that this bogus rumor went as far as it did...

--
Mike

GolfNut

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
Thanks TinMan and TMOTD.

This is the information (and comfort) I was looking for.