Was this device named properly?

What should have this device been named?

• Total voters

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Initial reactions to the name announced yesterday, were swamping Twitter. People seemed to think that the device name choice was incorrect. Some people were even joking about the name, and some still are. So do you think it was named well? Does the name suit it? Please vote in the poll, and if you vote for "other" please put what you think they should have named it and why. :)

iBanana

Silver
Jan 15, 2010
United States
it was even on the cnn app that it has brought on feminine hygiene product jokes. i personally think it was really poorly named. its going to be very confusing when people say iPod and iPad. just imagine those accents in the new england area!

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I noticed that the names of people voting can be seen. Can a moderator change this please? I just wanted the poll results shown, not names.

ipadorama

Jan 28, 2010
iPad Parody video

This is hilarious - clearly somebody doesn't think iPad was the right name to choose! lol

DocRawk

Bronze
Jun 11, 2009
I actually think iTablet would have been cool.
It would've been cool if Apple had made an iTablet... This thing isn't even close to deserving at tablet moniker. Tablets, historically, are fully capable laptops with added touch/stylus capabilities. This thing is a supersized iPod touch. Nothing more, and nothing less. iPad, while retarded, is entirely appropriate.

Dell's Latitude XT is the closest thing to an "iTablet" that has been marketed thus far, and it's an epic failure in it's own right. It's a fully functional laptop with capacitive touch, multi-touch, and stylus capabilities. All tech that was pioneered on the iPhone. Unfortunately Dell engineers were obviously stoned when they worked on hardware/driver support. The digitizer runs on an internal USB port and almost universally conflicts with USB heavy applications like iTunes causing digitizer driver failure and display crashes.

If Apple had taken the MBAir and developed a tablet convertible from it, they could've called THAT the iTablet. Maybe they will.

Dream iTablet:

Notebook style but with fully functional touch displays both inside and outside the top leaf. Bottom leaf consists of hardware internals with a full keyboard/pad made thinner and light weight by using resistive touch tech allowing it to be completely flat or maybe a few mm's thick with a thin rubber key mat to give a more tactile experience. Hardware is variable by price point. There should be a 2+GHz model with a minimum of 120GB HDD. The OS should be iPhone OS-like, but structured after Linux/Cydia in that drivers and software are available via repository so as to minimize OS HDD usage. AND IT SHOULD HAVE A FEW FREAKIN USB PORTS! Internal WIFI/Bluetooth.

I understand that Apple wanted something between the MB and the iPhone. I just don't understand why we need that. My idea is more of a marriage of the two. I would purchase my idea. I will not purchase the iPad.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I really don't mind the name but if you ask90% of people the first thing that comes to mind, they will think feminine hygiene. Whether they're mature or not, that's just the way it is these days.

Could they have chosen a better, more appropriate name? Perhaps. But I don't know what that could have been.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Just simply The Apple Tablet would have been nice I think. That's what it really is. Not a pad.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
The name is fine with me. Really could care less what Apple called it. What I am more concerned about is what it is and can do. In this area it came up short of my expectations. Doesn't mean I won't be getting one but if I had to say today the answer would be not getting it.