Washed iPhone 3GS

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

elicia

Jun 26, 2011
i have washed my iPhone 3gs in the washer, it is restoring in iTunes but the screen is black, when plugged into the charger it says searching and searching for iTunes but when plugged to iTunes it is black screen...is it beyond repair? it is currently restoring all factory settings on iTunes but i can't see anything on the screen, it does not come on at all unless i have it plugged into the charger..i dried it for two days with rice, hairdryer and a warm heat.. any suggestions or recommendations on my next move/ should i wait it out or am i just on my way to buying a new phone tomorrow? thanks!

Mar 9, 2011
U should have turned off your phone right away and bring to a phone repair center or to Apple store. Im not sure if damage now is still repairable since it still powered on.

elicia

Jun 26, 2011
I would have turned it off but it was dead when it came out of the washer, no anything. there was no turning it off, it powers up for the emergency call when plugged to the charger but when you unplug it does not do anything else.. the screen goes black..

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
If it was backed up previously then try leaving it in a bag of uncooked rice for a week or two first, instead of rushing out and buying/getting a new phone. It usually works. Just leave it in there and don't touch it. The rice supposedly removes water by drying it out. Hopefully you have a spare phone you can use for a couple of weeks.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
If it was backed up previously then try leaving it in a bag of uncooked rice for a week or two first, instead of rushing out and buying/getting a new phone. It usually works. Just leave it in there and don't touch it. The rice supposedly removes water by drying it out. Hopefully you have a spare phone you can use for a couple of weeks.
Too much water in the iPhone will almost assuredly short something out. Especially if the phone was on when it got drenched. You're better off getting a new phone and hopefully you'll be more careful with your expensive mobiles.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I agree you should have let it dry in rice or whatever for at least a week or more, being in the washer means complete submersion not just soaked..plugging it in may have shorted it out for sure. I hope it starts to work for you.