Washed-out, faded-looking screen bug?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
This is such a rare bug that I've been hesitant to mention it. But I just saw it again for about the third time since owning my iPhone 5.

It happens when unlocking the screen. I've had the same highly-saturated image of the full color spectrum as my lockscreen almost since getting the phone (I know... I'm boring) so I know it well. Occasionally when unlocking, the screen will be very faded looking. Not bright like an autobright overadjustment, just unsaturated and hazy. It dissipates slowly over about 30 seconds to a minute after seeing it. Even then, the screen saturation can seem slightly off for quite some time... days even. It eventually goes back to normal, but it's something that I definitely notice happening.

Has anyone else seen this?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I've not seen or read about this but it sounds like a hardware problem, maybe a trip to the Genius Bar is in order.

Sent using iCafe app

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, it seems hardware-related (perhaps even static-related?)... just thought I'd put out some feelers and see if it's a common if rarely-occurring problem.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't think this is quite the same problem, but it's similar to something I experience so I thought I'd mention it. My lock screen and home screen have appeared very dim (lowest brightness level) about four or five times upon unlocking. I checked the brightness level when it did it right now, and it was still in the middle where I typically keep it. Locking the phone and unlocking it again has fixed the brightness every time. I'm not sure if it was just coincidental or not, but when it did it right now it occurred when I accidentally double-tapped the home button instead of single-tapping it.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I don't think this is quite the same problem, but it's similar to something I experience so I thought I'd mention it. My lock screen and home screen have appeared very dim (lowest brightness level) about four or five times upon unlocking. I checked the brightness level when it did it right now, and it was still in the middle where I typically keep it. Locking the phone and unlocking it again has fixed the brightness every time. I'm not sure if it was just coincidental or not, but when it did it right now it occurred when I accidentally double-tapped the home button instead of single-tapping it.
Do you have auto brightness enabled? If so, it may be the phone adjusting the screen against ambient light.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Do you have auto brightness enabled? If so, it may be the phone adjusting the screen against ambient light.
No. I alway keep auto-brightness turned off.

cindra

Bronze
Dec 17, 2008
North Carolina
I get this too, but I've got the 4S so it may be OS related, or hardware common to both models perhaps?

Mommy

Zealot
Gold
Feb 19, 2011
NY
My iPod and husbands iPod is doing the same thing. It's annoying every now and then

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I get this too, but I've got the 4S so it may be OS related, or hardware common to both models perhaps?
I definitely don't think this is a hardware problem. I think it's a 6.x bug.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Do you smell burnt chicken feathers when this happens? O_o

pradley

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
I had this "fog" problem with the screen on my new iPhone5 - it was sporadic and when it appeared dimmed the whole screen whatever I was doing. So I went to the Genius bar (in NYC) where the tech told me he had never seen this, was able to reproduce it, and replaced the phone. I think it's a hardware problem.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Happened again today and I took a screen shoot but there was no fog there
You can't capture the dimness in a screenshot just as you can't capture inverted colors.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok, try this. After a hard reset, if I rub the screen vigorously with my shirt, it seems to build up static, causing a faded "hole" in the display where I rubbed. Touching it with my finger then makes it go away rather quickly. Most be a static thing, but it's quite odd. Only seems to happen during the Apple logo of a hard reset boot.

Anyone else?