Washed-out, faded-looking screen bug?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by psylichon, Jan 4, 2013.

1. psylichon

psylichon Genius

This is such a rare bug that I've been hesitant to mention it. But I just saw it again for about the third time since owning my iPhone 5.

It happens when unlocking the screen. I've had the same highly-saturated image of the full color spectrum as my lockscreen almost since getting the phone (I know... I'm boring) so I know it well. Occasionally when unlocking, the screen will be very faded looking. Not bright like an autobright overadjustment, just unsaturated and hazy. It dissipates slowly over about 30 seconds to a minute after seeing it. Even then, the screen saturation can seem slightly off for quite some time... days even. It eventually goes back to normal, but it's something that I definitely notice happening.

Has anyone else seen this?

2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I've not seen or read about this but it sounds like a hardware problem, maybe a trip to the Genius Bar is in order.

Sent using iCafe app

3. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Yeah, it seems hardware-related (perhaps even static-related?)... just thought I'd put out some feelers and see if it's a common if rarely-occurring problem.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think this is quite the same problem, but it's similar to something I experience so I thought I'd mention it. My lock screen and home screen have appeared very dim (lowest brightness level) about four or five times upon unlocking. I checked the brightness level when it did it right now, and it was still in the middle where I typically keep it. Locking the phone and unlocking it again has fixed the brightness every time. I'm not sure if it was just coincidental or not, but when it did it right now it occurred when I accidentally double-tapped the home button instead of single-tapping it.

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Do you have auto brightness enabled? If so, it may be the phone adjusting the screen against ambient light.

Sent using iCafe app

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

See your ophthalmologist. :D

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No. I alway keep auto-brightness turned off.

8. cindra

cindra Member
    Bronze

I get this too, but I've got the 4S so it may be OS related, or hardware common to both models perhaps?

9. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I have had this happen as well a few times not often
    I just turn off the phone and on again. I figured it is a glitch of sorts

10. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

My iPod and husbands iPod is doing the same thing. It's annoying every now and then

Sent using iCafe app

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I definitely don't think this is a hardware problem. I think it's a 6.x bug.

12. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

Do you smell burnt chicken feathers when this happens? O_o

13. pradley

pradley Member
    Bronze

I had this "fog" problem with the screen on my new iPhone5 - it was sporadic and when it appeared dimmed the whole screen whatever I was doing. So I went to the Genius bar (in NYC) where the tech told me he had never seen this, was able to reproduce it, and replaced the phone. I think it's a hardware problem.

14. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Happened again today and I took a screen shoot but there was no fog there

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can't capture the dimness in a screenshot just as you can't capture inverted colors.

16. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Ok, try this. After a hard reset, if I rub the screen vigorously with my shirt, it seems to build up static, causing a faded "hole" in the display where I rubbed. Touching it with my finger then makes it go away rather quickly. Most be a static thing, but it's quite odd. Only seems to happen during the Apple logo of a hard reset boot.

Anyone else?