wasn't Safari closing down in the past?

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I keep reading that safari did the "freeze and close down" thing in the past, but after a firmware update it was fixed? Mine still does it every now and then if i'm running several pages or 2 pages with a tremendous amount of content. Its only about 2-3 weeks old and its 1.2 firmware i believe. Anyone else having this experience?

Thanks

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Are you modded or unlocked at all? I know that several people still experience Safari crashes because of the 3rd party applications they have added to their phones. This might be the problem, if not then I would just make sure you're on the most current firmware 1.1.2.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Mine still does it every now and then if i'm running several pages or 2 pages with a tremendous amount of content.
So this begs the question, if you know how to reliably crash the browser why not change how you use it?

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Are you modded or unlocked at all? I know that several people still experience Safari crashes because of the 3rd party applications they have added to their phones. This might be the problem, if not then I would just make sure you're on the most current firmware 1.1.2.
I haven't done any mods so thats why i posted because i figured this shouldn't be happening. Also my firmware is 1.1.2

So this begs the question, if you know how to reliably crash the browser why not change how you use it?
Why thank you? Trust me, i've avoided doing such things but I still was curious to if this was common to other people or maybe i have a problem? Plus it just shouldn't be happening...

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
I keep reading that safari did the "freeze and close down" thing in the past, but after a firmware update it was fixed? Mine still does it every now and then if i'm running several pages or 2 pages with a tremendous amount of content. Its only about 2-3 weeks old and its 1.2 firmware i believe. Anyone else having this experience?

Thanks
Yeah mine will lose randomly sometimes. No big deal though just takes a second to bring it back up again

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Why thank you? Trust me, i've avoided doing such things but I still was curious to if this was common to other people or maybe i have a problem? Plus it just shouldn't be happening...
I guess everyone has different ideas for what a mobile platform should be capable of.

I mean if you said you were crashing from just browsing and listening to music at the same time is one thing, but you also stated that you have multiple pages open, or a tremendous amount of data on said pages.

There in lies our difference on opinion, because to you it shouldn't be happening, but to me, well I would expect it to happen given the variables you've set.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I guess everyone has different ideas for what a mobile platform should be capable of.

I mean if you said you were crashing from just browsing and listening to music at the same time is one thing, but you also stated that you have multiple pages open, or a tremendous amount of data on said pages.

There in lies our difference on opinion, because to you it shouldn't be happening, but to me, well I would expect it to happen given the variables you've set.
I understand...but also...tremendous amount of data was a stupid exaggeration i made. Once it closed down when i had two pages open www.webshots.com running. So my fault in misleading you

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It crashes from time to time because most people never completely power off their phone. Usually the people that have this problem can solve it by completely shutting the phone down and not just putting it to sleep by locking it. I do this about once/week and I hardly ever have Safari crashing.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Mine has never stopped crashing since the day I got it on iDay.
Yeah mine will lose randomly sometimes. No big deal though just takes a second to bring it back up again
Beg to differ. When it crashes (which probably happens more often than you realize*) you lose your history. If you don't have a decent internet connection, then it can certainly take more than "a second" to bring everything back up again, especially if you have 8, 9, or even 10 windows open (yes, I've had 10 windows open before.)

*You might THINK safari doesn't crash, but if you have a window open in the browser (say to EIC) then you hit the home button (which basically really just minimizes the browser) and then browse to something like your mail app and then you go back to your safari browser, if it has to reload the EIC content again then guess what? It crashed.

You lost your back button history, if you were typing a forum message you lost that, plus you have to wait for the webpages to reload. Also, there's a glitch in safari that if you hit a link (say from EIC) and it opens the link (say to Apple) in a pop up window, the original webpage will put the address of the pop up in the address field and sometimes it will open up the webpage too. You'll have two windows with the same content. Freaking pisses me off, but I usually can go back and stop the loading of the webpage. But if Safari crashes while that other webpage is loading, when you restart safari the original webpage (say from EIC) won't open up. The address from the pop up window (say from Apple) will open up instead. This glitch has given me quite a number of headaches.

I like that Safari puts the pop up's address in the address field when I'm at the 8 window limit. Putting the address there gives me a chance to tap the address field and just hit 'go' to make the pop up open up in the same window. But if Safari crashes, it should forget the pop up address and just load the webpage that was in the window, not the address that was temporarily in the address field.

Safari (and any other app) crashing is a HUUUUUUUGE problem. Evidence that this fantastic device isn't as "great" as everyone wants to believe. They just brainwash themselves because they don't want to dislike anything by Apple. Granted, I don't hate my iPhone, but I do hate SOME things about it.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Beg to differ, ColsTiger is right, just like with your computer when you add or delete software you need to reboot the computer. samething, the iPhone is a computer, so many people add and delete 3rd party apps is the problem with stability, so do like he says.:mad:

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Beg to differ.:p

Are you saying that my point isn't valid? Are you saying that when Safari crashes that it's not a big deal? That was my point, not that I don't deserve to have safari on my iPhone crash constantly. Does it cost me a lot of time and effort and emotional energy when safari crashes? Are you trying to tell me that I'm wring, and that Safari crashing doesn't give me headaches, because that's the only thing I said. Why you didn't read my post at all, did you?

All iPhones have crashing problems, whether or not they are jaulbroke. As I said, Safaru might crash and you won't realize it.

And I do restart, daily though, not weekly. Crashing is still a big problem.

And that glitch that I described has been around since day 1.