Watch the 32gb come out by Christmas, and cost all us July 11th buyers full retail

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
My biggest worry about buying on July 11th is getting screwed in a few months with the 32gb. Those who waited will probably get it for $299 and all us July 11th buyers will pay $499 or more.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
We'll just complain and complain like last time lol. Maybe we'll get a gift card thing?

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
WOW! I am hoping that won't be the case. I hope they hold out until next summer for a 32Gig. If not, all he has to do is release it in Red and I don't and won't care about the price, I'm buying it.

But, wait a minute there, I might as well wait until next July. I'm sure it'll still be around.

Dag on it Steve! Dag on it!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Even next july wouldn't be long enough would it? Isn't it 18 months until you are eligible for an upgrade with AT&T?

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
Even next july wouldn't be long enough would it? Isn't it 18 months until you are eligible for an upgrade with AT&T?
yes, but even now, current iPhone users get the lowest price on the iPhone 3g... so im assuming whenever the next version comes out, the deal would be similar

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
yes, but even now, current iPhone users get the lowest price on the iPhone 3g... so im assuming whenever the next version comes out, the deal would be similar
I actually think differently here. Remember, the first iPhone wasn't subsidized so they are happy to offer V1 iPhone owners the cheap price. But now that they are subsidized, AT&T is making an investment in us when they sell it to us. They need us to pay for their service to make back the money they lost from selling it to us for so cheap. This means for the next iPhone, they won't offer it to us the cheap price until they make back their lost money, which takes 18 months I believe.

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
I actually think differently here. Remember, the first iPhone wasn't subsidized so they are happy to offer V1 iPhone owners the cheap price. But now that they are subsidized, AT&T is making an investment in us when they sell it to us. They need us to pay for their service to make back the money they lost from selling it to us for so cheap. This means for the next iPhone, they won't offer it to us the cheap price until they make back their lost money, which takes 18 months I believe.
why wouldn't they offer the cheap price? if they we are getting the next gen phone...plus extending our contract another 2 years (just like with this 3g phone) i would think they should give it for a subsidized price.

maybe they wont, but if youre a current iPhone user and are extending your contract, they are still keeping your businesss. maybe it wont be AS cheap, but i definitely would still think some sort of deal

this is assuming you are buying the phone and extending your contract. if not, then i wouldn't argue that the phone would be full price obviously

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm afraid Wildonrio is probably right here. AT&T, selling the phone for $200, turns no profit at all until you serve out a certain amount of your contract. That's why Early Termination Fees exist.

They're happy to give you THIS one for the cheap price because they didn't subsidize the first iPhone for you. You paid outright for it.

Yes, the new iPhone is in a different game than the first one was.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm sure we will still be able to make a bit of profit from selling a 16 GB 3G iPhone if the need to upgrade to 32 GB is that dire.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
No, it wouldn't. I believe it should be 24 months not 18. When I said next July I had yet another new release in mind for the iPhone and I figure I will make it worth mywhile and get the next new iPhone next year rather than jumping on the new 32Gig release around Christmas time.

Either wayt his is a heck of a way to treat the customers. We, because we are loyal AT&T customers, should get the choice to buy one of the new phones without any problems at all. But this is a businesss and the money will be made no matter what.