Watching Videos on iPhone 6+ sucks

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by KenSolo, Feb 18, 2015.

1. KenSolo

KenSolo Member
    Bronze

Why is it such a chore to watch a simple video on this phone! I have the 6+ from AT&T and this thing stays buffing after 4 to 7 seconds of play. Am I the only one with this problem?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

What videos? Which app? Etc etc. I don't have buffering issues.

3. KenSolo

KenSolo Member
    Bronze

Like YouTube videos (Browser and App) and videos links from Facebook. Stuff like that.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Is it over WiFi or using AT&T's 4G network? How's your home WiFi?

5. KenSolo

KenSolo Member
    Bronze

Over their "LTE" network. If I'm trying to watch a video through the browser I get hit with the buffing. I clear my cookies and data, and still have these issues.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Don't blame the phone; blame the LTE coverage in your area. I have decent LTE coverage with AT&T and rarely have buffering issues.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Over LTE it should not be happening as much as it is happening to you, provided you're in an area with good or at least decent LTE coverage. Why don't you try the Speedtest.net Mobile Speed Test By Ookla (free) and tell us what kind of speed you're getting? (Be aware that LTE speedtests may consume a large amount of data, so don't do too many of these if you have a rather conservative data plan.)

If the Speedtest result from the app I mentioned above reveals really poor LTE speeds (less than about 3 - 4Mbps), you might want to try disabling LTE (Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE > Off) and testing it out (both the Speedtest and some of your videos) at 4G to see if you get better results.

Here in Miami, FL, 4G was regularly giving me better speeds than LTE until about 12 - 14 months ago.

8. KenSolo

KenSolo Member
    Bronze

I'm in Houston,Tx on LTE download .50 upload .48

On 4G download .49 upload .49

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

0.50 Mbps down on LTE and 0.49 Mbps down on 4G in a big city like Houston, TX are unacceptable speeds. My recommendation is to call AT&T and speak to someone to see if there is a major issue with the towers in your area.

As a secondary measure, after you speak to AT&T, use this AT&T app called Mark The Spot to report slow speeds.

How long has this been going on?

10. KenSolo

KenSolo Member
    Bronze

This been going on for a while I think a few months after the 5S came out. I've still had the 5 and it was still doing that.

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Given the speeds you mentioned, it's safe to say that that is what's causing your videos to pause and buffer so frequently. You may want to check with folks on AT&T who live near you to see what speeds they are getting; your speeds are extremely atypical. Check out this chart (which I got from this article). Good luck!

430274-houston-lte.gif

12. KenSolo

KenSolo Member
    Bronze

Thank

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Those speeds are terrible. Try resetting your network settings and doing another speedtest. If the speed hasn't improved, disable LTE and use 4G HSPA+. I have the same problem you do. My LTE speeds are often less than one and unusable, but my 4G is usually around 5, so I have to disable LTE.

I wish I could say calling AT&T would help, but from my experience after countess calls, tweets and Mark the Spot notices, it's an absolute waste of time. I gave up and just accept it now. I can browse and stream on 4G just fine, so it's not that bad.

14. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

Yeah, so much for AT&T's advertisements for "the nation's strongest LTE signal". Strong does not equate to fast. Slowness is a sign of network congestion. They need to build out the infrastructure that connects the cell towers to their core network.

Based in the test results I see with SpeedTest and similar measurement apps, it looks like AT&T polices connections to share connectivity more equally. So, more of us can connect, but all of us experience the same slowness.

15. Picazzo

Picazzo Zealot
    Gold

Could Youtube it self be an issue here?

16. KenSolo

KenSolo Member
    Bronze

I've been using that Mark the Spot app for AT&T like crazy! Now it's running like a champ… For now…

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

For real? Wow, could it be they actually started paying attention to those Mark The Spot complaints/reports? I filed numerous "complaints" of slow speed using that very app in the past (over a year ago or so, when my LTE speeds were lousy). I can't say that they helped, but I figured I would mention it to you anyway (as I did earlier on in this thread) on the assumption they couldn't hurt.

You'll recall, also from earlier on in this thread, that even @Europa shared her less-than-stellar experiences with filing Mark The Spot. Her complaints was pretty much futile, she told us.

So no more lag/buffering when viewing videos, I take it? I'm glad it's working out for you.

Of course, the possibility exists that the Mark The Spot complaint filings that you submitted were never actually read by AT&T staff, and the sudden improvement is due to something else. Perhaps a failing cell phone tower or two in your neighborhood got replaced, etc... Or perhaps someone called Ralph de la Vega's (President and CEO of AT&T Mobility) mother to complain. Hey, it worked for irate Comcast customers.

#17 Rafagon, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  18. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

No buffering issues here on Verizon with my iPhone 6.

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 4.22.30 PM.png

19. KenSolo

KenSolo Member
    Bronze

I know what you mean. I'm not going to sit here and praise Mark the Spot. It could be coincidence or something. But I'm happy that it's running at a decent speed.

20. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Is this normal or strange behavior from the app? I ran the same speed tests and my results seem to be very high. I don't even get speeds this fast at home.

More interesting is the fact my speeds start out between 3-6 Mbps and jump up to 40 Mbps.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1425055159.417721.jpg