Watchmen the Movie

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Warning: possible spoiler alert

Anyone see it? I just saw the midnight showing last night. I didn't know it was a 3 hour movie lol. My opinion...good not great. I really liked the way it was filmed with the slow motion and crazy camera angles, but the storyline was meh. It didn't seem like there was any point. Like the ending didn't resolve anything and some of the characters were never really explained. I heard it was pretty close to the graphic novel as far as story line goes but I haven't read it.

What do you guys think?
PS the fight scenes were awesome, there's actually blood

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Good, but way too long.
But all in all I liked it. I have people here at home that absolutely loved it. Definitely for novel fans!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I saw it last night--really liked it. My ass was sore from the almost 3 hrs of sitting, but udder den dat, a really good movie. The cinematography was amazing, the fight scenes were awesome, the blood and guts were plentiful. And remember the actor who played Rorschach? Jackie Earle Haley? He was the bad kid in the original Bad News Bears. Helluva job in Watchmen.

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
worst movie ever, waste of time!

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Warning: possible spoiler alert

Anyone see it? I just saw the midnight showing last night. I didn't know it was a 3 hour movie lol. My opinion...good not great. I really liked the way it was filmed with the slow motion and crazy camera angles, but the storyline was meh. It didn't seem like there was any point. Like the ending didn't resolve anything and some of the characters were never really explained. I heard it was pretty close to the graphic novel as far as story line goes but I haven't read it.

What do you guys think?
PS the fight scenes were awesome, there's actually blood
Pretty much sums up the movie.

H

Hayesimus

I agree with you mostly. The production values were extremely high. Great filming and special effects. The storyline however... mediocre at best. It didn't seem to have a climax or resolution or anything. Just had terrible pacing if you ask me. I for one still don't understand what the deal is with the inkblot mask. He takes it off and he looks normal so... what the F... is causing that? I really liked Dr. Manhattan's backstory. I would like to see a movie solely about him and how he gradually loses his humanity as time goes by after his accident. And what about the rest of them. Half the time they act like they have super human strength. The other half they act like they are just cops in goofy costumes so... which is it? ANyway, it was very boring. People got up and left or at the very least fell asleep in it. I rode with a buddy so when I fell asleep the first time I was wishing I had driven myself so I could leave. And why the hell did people bring their kids. People are the dumbest animals it seems...

SO... sorry but, two thumbs down...

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
LOL oh yeah I forgot to mention I actually got a drink for once because it was free and its been so long since I've bought anything at a theater that I was shocked out how big the "small" was. So about two hours in my bladder is throbbing with coke and I couldn't figure out if it was close to being over. Hayes is right with the terrible pacing.
I also agree that a movie about Dr. Manhattan would be better (aside from not having rorschach). Dr. M had a better story because his character was dynamic and well, he had super powers haha.

gea

Jan 15, 2009
that movie suck ass I want the 3 hrs of my life that I lost watching that movie back.
but my son liked it and thats all that matters.

by the way it's not a movie for kids.

Emerica

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
Saw a private screening before rls.

Not bad, but very long! Personal opinions vary!

Skol312000

Dec 8, 2008
N
I got it on my iPhone, and its not a Cam record either, im gonna watch it tonight....

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Perhaps the most interesting thing about this movie is the range of opinions it generates. I was very pleasantly surprised after reading some really awful reviews, including one calling it a flop flat out. I had no knowledge of the 'novels' before hand.

It seems perhaps expectations are what color the various opinions. People who wanted a special effect driven, X-men aping, 'superhero' movie were uniformly disappointed, except of course by Dr Manhattan. I liked the storyline quite a lot. It was different, and I wouldn't have predicted the outcome. It was all slightly over the top pulp fiction kind of characters and plot, and that seems to me to be exactly what it should be. It was much more comic-bookish in a Sin City way than most of the other overblown adaptations we are used to. It's pacing to me was good. I was never bored, but it never really peaked either. Again, this is ok. I'm an older guy and tired of the formulaic movie format with the simplistic buildup, climax, resolution, go home and forget about it that is expected and almost always done. The scope of storyline they covered, quite adroitly, was awesome. Oh and they had the 'balls' to show swinging blue genitalia, for no apparent reason other than they could :)

Two thumbs up.

H

Hayesimus

actually I had no preconceptions. It was just not enjoyable and I absolutely ADORED sin city. There was a story that had pacing and all back stories actually meant something and tied together nicely in the end.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
I for one still don't understand what the deal is with the inkblot mask. He takes it off and he looks normal so... what the F... is causing that?

He explains it to the psychiatrist in the comic. When he was 16, he was sent to work in a shop. It was actually a dress that was for a woman. But she never picked it up because she said it was ugly. And no one wanted it. So he took it and cut it up into a mask.

The material was inspired by Dr. M, using Viscous fluid between two layers of latex. two years after he see's in the paper the woman that ordered the dress was murdered. In the article it stated that people heard and even watched, but did nothing about it. He felt ashamed for humanity and cut the remains of the dress into a mask. "And made a face i could bear to look at in the mirror" he says.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
He explains it to the psychiatrist in the comic. When he was 16, he was sent to work in a shop. It was actually a dress that was for a woman. But she never picked it up because she said it was ugly. And no one wanted it. So he took it and cut it up into a mask.

The material was inspired by Dr. M, using Viscous fluid between two layers of latex. two years after he see's in the paper the woman that ordered the dress was murdered. In the article it stated that people heard and even watched, but did nothing about it. He felt ashamed for humanity and cut the remains of the dress into a mask. "And made a face i could bear to look at in the mirror" he says.
Cool, Rorschach was my favorite character. I really enjoyed watching a super-hero movie that was a little atypical.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I just watched it last night, and it's a good movie. I didn't really get the plot or some of the characters much, and the ending didn't really explain anything..at least not to me. But all in all, it's still a good movie.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
just saw it today too, and i really liked it. I think it's because it plays more like an old-school Mystery than a Comic flick.

Rorschach and his story were awesome... i hear there's going to be a director's cut releases this summer with extended scenes with him and the psychiatrist.

I'm not a comics guy at all, but this is the first comic-based movie that has made me really want to read the books.