Water damage indicator

1. heespharm

heespharm Guest

the water damage indicator is at the bottom of the headphone jack... if you look down it... it should have a white bottom unless you have water damage

2. Too Many Secrets

Too Many Secrets Member Bronze

Am I gonna get a squirt in the eye if I look?

Yep it's white...

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist Gold

Wow, so a single raindrop that happens to land on it, without doing any actual damage, could trigger the water damage indicator? Sure hope it takes a bit more than just a drop to trigger it.

Most times the indicator is under the battery.

--
    Mike

5. xoulo

xoulo New Member Bronze

so i guess if you drop your iPhone into water, Apple wouldn't replace it for you for free?
    damn those bastards. lol

at least have a warranty for everything include theif, drop, screen crack ect.

6. mobilehavoc

mobilehavoc New Member Bronze

Can you please provide some sources for this? Doesn't make sense for someone to put a water damage indicator at the end of a long hole that is exposed to the outside world on a daily basis. The changes of water getting into the headphone jack is VERY high.

I call BS.

7. ps49556n

ps49556n New Member Silver

Doesn't make sense to me either.

8. aggieman

aggieman Zealot Gold

i too call BS on this unless i see something that says otherwise from an official Apple document. it doesn't make sense to have something that's exposed to moisture from the outside of the phone to indicate that the phone has been submerged in water and the guts been exposed. heck i guess if it's really humid where i am and theres a little condensation on my headphone jack, the indicator is gonna turn red? i'm not buying it.

9. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member Silver

I just stuck my iPhone under the facet for 2 seconds and got lots of water in the headphone jack and it's still white.

I call BS.

;)

10. JnC

JnC New Member Bronze

I have water damage indicators on all of my electronics.

If I suspect water damage, I turn said gadget upside down. If water comes out, it's an indicator that water was in there.

11. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member Bronze

This is BS.

The white thing you're seeing is part of the headphone jack assembly. All headphone jacks have this.

Next time you go post about info you think you know, look it up. don't guess.

12. The Apple

The Apple Zealot Gold

So if I drop my phone in a urinal would it turn yellow?:p

13. Ace4261991

Ace4261991 New Member Silver

it makes sense because people will accidentlu drop it in the toilet and mess it up and let it dry then trying to get it replaced by saying it just stopped working. So with the water indicator there it can tell them if your bs'in them into replacing it by lying.( I did this with my iPod mini a few years ago after it having a run in with the washer machine) :p

14. kdarling

kdarling New Member Bronze

There are stories on the net of people living in very humid climates, wherein the indicator turned red on their device (and so was refused service) even though they never really "got it wet".

I think companies would rather be safe than sorry, and refuse when possible.

PS. Yes, repair people say urine smells are quite common on incoming repairs! (From people dropping phones in toilets.)

15. OJsakila

OJsakila New Member

textbook example of what goes on around here. LOL that's funny

16. wonkafire613

wonkafire613 New Member

what warranty service do you have?

17. heespharm

heespharm Guest

you may call bs but i actually had my iPhone accidentally engulfed in water from a condensations off a drink that was sitting next to it....

it shorted/died! so i took it to the iPhone store and he found the water damage.... he looked down the headphone jack and said "wow it actually changed color" then he turned it to me and I saw it too....

the reason he said wow is because they actually poured water in there and it didn't change color....

So now it's being sent to Apple for repair... i'm down 200 bucks but the good news is that i have a loaner?:(:(:(:(

18. heespharm

heespharm Guest

thanks guys for the unkind comments.. i try to only contribute positively to all the posts... none of the bs flaming that goes on....

I'm just telling you guys what i saw at the Apple store and what he said....

If you guys want proof i'll put up the document saying i'm down 200 bucks and a water logged iPhone....

once again Thanks

19. heespharm

heespharm Guest

here is the proof of my story

edit: removed for safety

20. rollinfromhell

rollinfromhell Zealot Gold

hmm.. who would have time? Even a loaner at home probably about 10 years old to make up a story of a headphone jack changing... very odd. that story still sounds like bs above, and he could have water damage, but i don't know about the inside of a headphone jack, how does it mysteriously change colors? lol..

21. heespharm

heespharm Guest

as i said i'm just reporting what he told me... he even turned it to me and showed me the color change... no bs...