Water damage...replacement question

nickpav

Sep 22, 2009
This summer my iPhone went swimming, it died. I went to the Apple store and asked what they could do. Well my options were replace it (16gb 3g) with another 16gb 3g for 199 or get a 3gs for 199. Well obvious I got the 3gs. Well here's my question. I could have gotten a replacement 3g for 199 because that was part of Apples water damage warranty, they wouldn't make you pay full price for a new one. Well I bought the 3gs, which didn't do anything warranty wise from my old 3g. Well I still have the 3g, so I was wondering if I went back to the Apple store I could still get that replacement 3g for 199. I could easily make a profit selling it. I just don't know if they would let me because I already got abother new iPhone. Do you think they would?

Jul 28, 2007
i had a 3gs that went in the water and went to att and bought another one at $199 on upgrade of another line on my account....put the water damaged on ebay and sold for $270...

nickpav

Sep 22, 2009
Did you say it was water damaged?

Jul 28, 2007
Yes. Took a dip in saltwater and never came back on. First time on eBay bid up to $410 and guy never paid me. Relisted and bid to $255 first 4 hours and guy wanted to buy right then for $270 so I took sure thing. I'm certain it would gone higher. Give it a try

ryanrrr

Sep 1, 2008
www.shieldskins.com
I sold my old iPhone 2G that took a fall down some stairs. It was really messed up and got 257 on ebay for it.
I didn't know that Apple would replace an iPhone that got water damage.

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
Apple's new water-damaged policy is replacement for $199.

I know. I got a new 32GB 3GS after it took a swim in a spilled can of coke.

I don't know if it's new or refurb, but it works perfect, is in new condition, casing, screen and all.

No upgrade of contract, no added months to contract. Turn in the old phone and $199 on the table got me a new phone.

Jim

ryanrrr

Sep 1, 2008
www.shieldskins.com
I wish I would have known that when my iPhone took a swim in a mop bucket. I ended up finding a new one on craigs list

Jun 26, 2010
Would that be the case for one that took a dip in a lavatory? If I take it to the Apple Store in London?

larryo108

Bronze
Dec 22, 2009
I understand you were given the option to replace for 200, but could you have paid 300 and gotten a 32GB?

Along the same lines, I noticed the OP was offered his choice between a 3G and a 3GS, would the same offer be made now between a 3GS and a 4?

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I realize this doesn't apply to a phone that went swimming but Apple has also changed their policy on warranty on water damage regarding sensors. My wife's phone had the bottom sensor activated She was at the Apple store to have it exchanged (another issue) and didn't not know it was activated the guy wouldn't replace it. Went back last month to have mine exchanged under warranty i was talking to the genius about hers and he asked to look at it.

He said now it has to have two sensors activated of the 4 to be considered water damaged and he exchanged it.