Water Damage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asdfsad, Sep 14, 2009.

1. asdfsad

asdfsad New Member

Long story short, I was washing my hands and had my phone in my shirt pocket. I bent over the sink to wash my face and the phone dropped in for prob half a sec to a second (short time the water wasn't pooled at the bottom, it was running and draining water). The phone remained on and I could continue to make phone calls, the speaker function worked, and could sent outgoing sound to other callers; everything worked fine except that when on speaker, the sound was very low, but audible. The same can be said for when calling off speaker. I can hear it, but low.

I for now I am just not over the shock that the phone touched sink water. I quickly googled what I can do to dry out the water. My plans so far have been to remove the sim and dry the phone in a bag of rice in my car where it is warm to say the least.

My question is, how many sensors are on the phone? I think there are four. One in the headphone jack (mine didn't turn pink). Where are the rest? I haven't found any others. Am I boned? Or did the grace of god help me out this time?

EDIT: Found the second sensor at the bottom. It looks a little white? Like dirt? Is that from the water or just natural wear and tear on the body of the phone. What are the tests that they perform to see if the phone has been in water aside from the two pink/red sensors? (Both mine are not either color)

2. terrapin

terrapin New Member
    Bronze

you're boned bro - from my experience (a good friend works at the Motorola repair center), one of 'em anyway, once sensitive parts get wet it's all over - even for a small length of time. Not to say that some skilled person couldn't get you back to normal, but Apple and the carrier will certainly claim water damage which usually is not covered

3. asdfsad

asdfsad New Member

How would they know that it is water damage? I am just curious. Both my earphone jack and my dock port jack are not pink. If I take it to Apple, what else will they check?

4. RossMc

RossMc Zealot
    Gold

I think the rest are inside the phone.

5. terrapin

terrapin New Member
    Bronze

water damage is an "abuse" that is so easily detected by companies nowadays. Believe me, the techs at Apple, Motorola, Nokia, wherever, can spot components that have come in contact with water very easily and quickly. It's sort of like the little red/white sticker that Blackberry uses, in a sense - "If removed, warranty void" sort of thing...ya know. Now I am NOT saying that with such a short exposure to moisture that certain techs wouldn't miss it, bu I wouldn't bet on it is all.

6. terrapin

terrapin New Member
    Bronze

and yes, the rest are inside the iPhone itself.

7. hot_mamma311

hot_mamma311 Member
    Bronze

I just had this problem last week. My dock sensor did turn pink/red and they used what looked to me like what a doctor would use to check your ears a magnified glass with a light at the end to check the dock and headphone jack sensors. If you are positive yours weren't triggered I would go there and play dumb and see what they say. I got lucky and the guy made a deal with me if I bought the extended warranty he would give me a new phone. I got very lucky!

8. terrapin

terrapin New Member
    Bronze

it is very touch and go - you very well may get lucky and like hotmama said, play dumb...the worst they can do is say water damage and that's it. mybe you'll get lucky - hope so - keep us posted

9. asdfsad

asdfsad New Member

How much time elapsed between the time that water came into contact with your phone and you took it to the store? I want to dry it out in my car for about a Friday where I will then try to schedule a Genius bar appointment.

10. hot_mamma311

hot_mamma311 Member
    Bronze

I am VERY impatient and waited like 2 days then took it to the store.

11. Saverino

Saverino Zealot
    Gold

AFAIK, there's one in the headphone jack and one by the 30 pin connector. I've also heard the screws change colors as well, but am not certain at all on that one. As far as the others being inside the actual phone (besides the one by the plug), those don't matter because Geniuses don't check the internal ones when you take your phone in.

12. asdfsad

asdfsad New Member

Problem aborted. Everything works fine now. Sound is as good as pre-sink. I won't be taking it to the genius bar anytime soon (god forbid an accident or another sink incident) I will count my blessings and be more careful.

---
    In short rice bag and the hot sun dried out the electronics and everything works fine.

13. gr8hntr

gr8hntr New Member

gr8 news !

my wife dropped her blackberry in the dogs water bowl
    removed battery and 1 full day in rice bag and was good as new

14. Spikefood

Spikefood New Member
    Bronze

I've had a worse off but very similar situation. I was in my car and long story short the phone fell into a cup of sprite. Phone dropped in down to about half way. I took the phone out turned it off then drove to walmart to get some compressed air. sprayed the hell out of all the jacks and ports and even all the gaps between the screen and bevel. Waited a day with it in some rice and then turned it on. Perfectly fine no damage caused.

I've even dropped the same phone into a puddle, had the speaker be very quiet but it eventually over some days fixed itself. The phone is serprising well at preventing water from going into it. Or atleast from what I have experienced.

Main key is to keep it off. Its electricity and water that destroy parts not the water itself. Usually.

15. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

Okay... you guys have got to educate me about the rice. What does that do?

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Rice is a cheap alternative to desiccants, such as silica, which prevent humidity damage by absorbing moisture from the air and maintaining a state of dryness. They can also slowly pull water from an electronic device that has been submerged in water. Silica packs are often found in beef jerky packages to maintain freshness as well as in luggage and other items.

17. brokemiphone

brokemiphone New Member

I dropped the iPhone in the toilet...barely for 1/2 a second ...but it definitely got wet. Now it works I think entirely except the speakers aren't working, and the back light isn't coming up.

I put it in rice in a warm place over night to dry it out. And I've connected it to my computer and am trying to restore it.

Any other advice? I'm not sure that the restore is working.....it seems to be taking a really long time.

:(

18. brokemiphone

brokemiphone New Member

7-10 days? (Just turned it back off and put it back in the rice.)

Is it likely that I have ruined it by using it? It seems to completely function...so I wonder if it's possible to just fix the back light?

19. computerfox

computerfox Zealot
    Gold

you should really put the phone back in your pocket after taking a poo. that's my advice :)

20. brokemiphone

brokemiphone New Member

OK, thanks Julie. Really, though. did you mean 7-10 days or 7-10 hours? And is it likely that I damaged it because I used it?