Waterproof cases

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by Rbakfan, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Rbakfan

Rbakfan Member
    Bronze

As a firefighter and an avid outdoorsman, I have been searching for a workable waterproof case. I tried the lifeproof, but it hampered the sound quality quite a bit, and everyone I talked to heard an echo. They sent me a replacement but it was the same. When I heard otter box was coming out with the new armor series, I was excited as I have been using the defender and commuter series cases for some time. After months of anticipation I got my hands on one. I was so confident in otter box that I didn't test the case first like the directions said to do. After a fire, I noticed a water spot under the earpiece speaker. The speaker was faint and I thought it was ruined. After a few hours it dried and is fine (whew). I carried it back to AT&T since they have a 30 day return policy and picked up another one. I tested this one and it filled half up with water after 30 minutes of submersion in the sink. Now my confidence is shattered. Anyone else tried the otter box yet? I'm going to call o/b tomorrow since today is Sunday. I just wanted to share this.

Sent using iCafe app

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's why I prefer the term "-resistant" to "-proof."

3. Rbakfan

Rbakfan Member
    Bronze

I guess I'm just expecting too much!

Sent using iCafe app

4. meFTW

meFTW New Member

I agree with Napoleon, proof almost borderlines are false advertisement, but it does sound better.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm just leery of hyped-up claims like that, whatever the product is.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Testing it for leaks before use is crucial. I don't know about the Otterbox, but lots of people here use a LifeProof and have confirmed that it really is waterproof. I've heard that it doesn't usually affect sound quality, but you might want to try a Bluetooth headset or earbuds for phone calls if you are experiencing muffled sound.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I've been using a LifeProof on my 4s for over a year. It does muffle the sound a bit, but its a totally enclosed case so that's to be expected. Is this on iPhone 4/4s or a 5? The first few runs of the LifeProof cases for the 5 were HORRID! To the point they finally pulled the original black and white cases. The newer colored cases are 'the bomb' for the 5 :)

Sent using iCafe app

9. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

I have a lifeproof for the 5 and it is waterproof not resistant

Sent using iCafe app

10. Rbakfan

Rbakfan Member
    Bronze

Update: returned and decided to try one more. Works great. Happy now!

Sent using iCafe app

11. Rbakfan

Rbakfan Member
    Bronze

Also a deal breaker for the lifeproof is the fact that it can only be removed a limited number of times. The otter is unlimited. I really don't want to use it as a daily case just when on fire duty or when going to the river or lake. The rest of the time I like a "Sunday " case that I can slip into my pocket.

Sent using iCafe app

12. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Zealot
    Bronze

That's not true, it was stated by LifeProofs CEO awhile back, that as long as you inspect the case after a hard fall or continue opening the case and do regular maintenance on the seals and o ring the openings are unlimited. The max 50 openings is a thing of the past.

13. Rbakfan

Rbakfan Member
    Bronze

First I've heard of that. If the O/b fails me, I might give l/p another chance.

Sent using iCafe app

14. Rbakfan

Rbakfan Member
    Bronze

Since I have finally gotten to use the otter, I thought I'd give my first impressions. First of all, the sound loss is much more minimal than the lifeproof I had was. Persons on the other end can hear me fine also, and the screen feels much better than the l/p, as it never laid down completely flat. It is however much more bulky, which I can live with because it's very easy to remove. If there was a holster for this thing, I might leave it in though.

Sent using iCafe app