Waterproof iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by hmfc-1874, Jul 8, 2014.

1. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

Why has this never been tackled when bringing a new iPhone out? Sure you can get cases but that will cost just about as much as the phone itself.
    It would be a great feature I think.
    I have never spilt anything on my iPhone (touch wood I don't ) also how great would it be to be able to record in a swimming pool or if your under the sea on a holiday trip.
    Would you like this feature and why do you not think it's ever been added to the hardware aspect of the iPhone?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I don't see it possible for the iPhone to be waterproof in itself. There is lifeproof, but even with it the iPhone will be severely damaged if on the bottom of a pool for a good while.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'd sign up for wanting a waterproof iPhone. I'm always paranoid when placing my phone on a table where there are beverages. It'd be a bonus to have the capability to take it in the pool!

Before we get a waterproof iPhone, I'm hoping news of the sapphire display solves the shattered display issue if/when you drop your phone.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

This would definitely be a benefit for anybody worried about that. However, some owners of lifeproof cases think it will save them if they are for some reason unable to get their iPhone out of their pool for a good while.

One time my mom dropped her phone in the pool, but of course she doesn't have a case on it or she just had a back case. :p

5. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

Will be interesting to see if they add the sapphire display.. It sounds the right thing to do.
    Water proof will be next on my list after the screen lol

Chris I think I remember seeing a video with you using one of the cases in a pool .. I would still be crapping it just incase water somehow gets in.
    Can you vouch on of the cases for a reasonable price and not too bulky ?

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

A few years back I was stupid and put my iPhone under the sink to get dirt off or something and forgot my otterbox case was on it. I flipped out although only a few drops got on it and not in it lol.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm sold on the Otterbox Preserver for a waterproof case. It's not as bulky as the old Defender like I have. If the price would just come down.

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Here's the video of me testing the LifeProof case.

My LifeProof review can be found here. I've heard they've made improvements, but I haven't had the opportunity to test any of their newer products.

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

What I'm curious about is if the phone with the case on it is on the bottom of a pool sitting there for an hour.

10. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

Ah thanks Chris will give it a wee watch !
    Chance to show the six pack as well buddy eh ;) haha

11. wildor

wildor New Member

The company Liquipel has been waterproofing electronic device for awhile.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Great video! Now get the Otterbox Preserver and test it! :whistle:

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I think it uses protective plugs, but the Galaxy S5 did very well during a test to check its claim of being waterproof.

14. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Waterproof would be a bonus since I use my phone with no case and always worry about dropping it in a pool,toilet,sink, tub , etc...

Sent using iCafe app

15. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

After all this talking about water, now my air conditioning system in the oldest dorm building built in the 1800s is froze up and water is everywhere and nobody is on call tonight.

16. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Do you work for them or are you associated with them in any way shape or form? If so, I fell you have an ethical responsibility to disclose that when you make a post promoting another company.

If you have no connection with them then have you done this to your iPhone? If so, please record some video showing how this process has protected your device. I ask because I had never heard of them before your post and when I googled them I saw many more skeptical comments than positive ones.

17. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Liquipel has been around a while now.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I suspect that they are already coating many of the parts in Liquipel or something of the sort. I used my iPhone 5 in the rain quite a bit last September and spilled a full glass of water on it a month or two before that. It just had a bumper case at the time. I still have it and it was fine after getting it wet and it's still fine.

I don't have any interest in taking my phone swimming and have never wanted to deal with the bulk of waterproof case (or any case that isn't minimalistic) and port covers. Water resistant is good enough for me and they already seem to have that.

Of course, Apple isn't going to advertise this because that may make them liable to cover water damage when people submerge them for extended periods.

19. Hydrogen3

Hydrogen3 Member
    Bronze

Has anyone used/have experience with "Liquipel"

20. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I don't have any reason in taking my iPhone for a dip in the water, but I have never heard of liquipel either.