Way to delete duplicates in iTunes?

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by kenneth, Sep 11, 2008.

1. kenneth

kenneth Zealot
    Gold

like the title says how do you delete your duplicates in your iTunes? i just updated to 8.0 and it copied all of my files again. so now i have a lot of doubles.

2. jptolife

jptolife Member
    Silver

File -> Show duplicates should make it easier for you. Good luck.

3. kenneth

kenneth Zealot
    Gold

haha well yes thats what i have been doing for the past hour.

4. jptolife

jptolife Member
    Silver

haha ok, yeah I don't think there is an "Erase all duplicates" button somewhere. Will have to keep doing it that way. Sorry!

5. kenneth

kenneth Zealot
    Gold

6. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot
    Gold

As far as I know what you've been doing is the only option. I've had this happen a few times and it is certainly annoying.

7. psylichon

psylichon Genius

This is why I don't let iTunes copy my music files on import. I like to manage my own files.

8. Swagger

Swagger New Member
    Gold

Actually there is a way to delete all duplicates at once. File>Show Duplicates, when the duplicate screen comes up. Highlight (on Mac= Ctrl+click drag cursor until all songs turn blue, Windows= Left click and drag cursor down page until all songs turn blue, then right click on blue area, in drop down box click delete. Another pop up will appear asking if you want to delete or keep original file, click delete original file (this will only delete the copies you will still be left with one file, which is in your music library). All duplicates will then be deleted..Mark

9. SmartAlx

SmartAlx Zealot
    Gold

But that will remove EVERY song that is said to be a duplicate from your library. The original AND the duplicate. You have to look at each song to see if you want it because some of the filenames in the folders will be like:

La Agarro Bajando 1.mp3
    while in the same folder you have a file:
    La Agarro Bajando.mp3

You probably want to delete the one with the "1" and keep the other one.

This is why I hate Steve Jobs for not having a filename column. It's VERY usable for getting rid of these things. Instead we have to go through a real painful job to remove these files.

If you have to manage your library a lot then i would suggest that you purchase BeaTunes. It's an amazing piece of software that helps you keep your library organized. It will identify tracks, identify tempo (with maybe 80%-90% accuracy), and analyze your library and identify problems like duplicates, songs with similar names, artists with similar names, Songs of the same album with different dates or artists or genres, etc.

But if you don't want to buy a program, you can get rid of songs with "1" in the filename yourself.

My method is to go outside of iTunes. Search for "1" in the filename and delete them from your computer. iTunes will put an ! in front of the song and that will make it easier to identify the songs with 1 in the title.

But I just came up with a new idea. I haven't tested it though but it should prove much easier since you can't delete songs from your library from inside a playlist. What we're going to do is add "dup" to the genre names so we can sort them in the music list, not a playlist. If you have a lot of genres then this method might not be the easiest method for you, but who knows, depending on how many songs you have, it still might be easier than highlighting each song individually. If you are a DJ, then I would definitely suggest this method to start getting rid of duplicates. But if you are DJ, you might have other tools (Like BeaTunes at least) to help get rid of duplicates.
    1. First we have to prepare our songs. Sort your duplicate list by genre.
    2. Highlight the list of duplicates in each genre, right click, and select "Get Info."
    3. Add "dup" to the beginning of the genre name. (We'll be deleting that later on.)
    4. Repeat for every genre.

5. Highlight every song on your duplicate playlist.
    6. File->Create Playlist from Selection. Name it "duplicates-all."

7. Go to explorer (in Windows) and search for "*1 .mp3"
    8. You might end up losing some songs if you delete. So for now move them to a temporary folder called "duplicates" until you make sure the songs are deleteable.
    9. You should go ahead and search for "* 2.mp3" and "* 3.mp3" on up to say 5 or so, just to be thorough. Once we start changing the library we can't go back. In fact, try to search for every possible way that might identify a duplicate. For example you might want to search for "copy of" in the filename. You also need to check other file extensions like m4a and m4r. You only want to go through this process once.

10. Return to iTunes and highlight all of the songs in a genre.
    11. Right click and select "Get Info." Remove "dup" from the genre name.
    12. Hit OK and look at your list of duplicates. Now (about) half of the songs in that genre will have an exclamation point next to it.
    13. Repeat for each genre.

14. Now every song with "dup" in the genre name is one of those songs with "1" in the filename. Can you delete it? Maybe not, so you should check to see if every song with a "1" in the filename is a dup. We can do this with a playlist.

15. File->New Smart Playlist.
    16. First line should be [contains] [dup]
      [*]Second line should be [playlist] [is not] ["duplicates-all"]

[*]All of the songs in this list are NOT duplicates, but their filenames are screwy. The files are also in the duplicates folder. You'll need to use this list to find the songs and fix these filenames. So name the playlist "screwy filenames"
      [*]You are going to have to go down this list and find each song in the folder you created earlier and put them in a new folder called "add back to library." (This is a good reason to not go and willy-nilly delete duplicates. You might be removing songs with clean filenames and keep songs with screwy filenames.)

Don't add these songs back to the iTunes library yet. They still have "dup" in the genre title!

[*]Now we know that all of the files in the duplicate folder that we created earlier are in fact duplicates and we can safely delete the folder. You might want to keep the folder for awhile though just in case.

[*]Now go to the music list, and delete every song in each genre with dup in the title from the library.
      [*]Now we shouldn't have any genres with dup in the title. But we will in a second because we are going to put our missing songs back into the library.

[*]Go to your "add back to library" folder.
      [*]*optional* Fix the screwy filenames if you are so inclined. I would.
      [*]Move the good songs BACK to where they belong. (If you manage your folder yourself, you'll have to put the files back where you moved them yourself and add them to the iTunes library manually. If you allow iTunes to keep your iTunes folder organized and you allow it to copy to the folder then you should just have to double click on the mp3.)
      [*]Go back to your music list in iTunes. Select each genre with dup in the name. Highlight all songs. Select "get info" and get rid of the dup in the name.
      [*]repeat for each dup genre.

[*]You might (probably) still have duplicates though. I can't help you there. You'll have to check those files manually, unless you can find a common pattern you can search for. If there is a pattern then you'll want to include those files in the duplicates folder before you start this entire process.

By the way "Show Duplicates" has been in iTunes for quite awhile. Ever since I started to put music on my iPhone anyway.

10. santoz642

santoz642 New Member

11. pdentrem

pdentrem New Member

How to remove duplicate songs the easy way

This is for finding duplicated songs that were not loaded on the same day. As well if your Library becomes corrupted and it lists 2 sets of the same songs and you wish to remove that bad set.

You have to remember that your iPod uses a database.
    Go to Library / Music and display all your songs in column without the Album thumbnails. You should have a long listing of your songs under the heading called Name.
    You will have a selection of columns, one of them being Date Added.
    If you do not have that column you have to add it.
    Once you have that Date Added column then sort the songs by Date Added. Now all you have to do is select the songs that are of the same date, (these will be grouped together!) that are no longer correct for your current.
    You select those songs with the Explanation mark which are the ones that are incorrect and delete them.
    This is much easier than all that other stuff mentioned earlier and totally free and quick.:eek:k:eek:k

12. JJMessina

JJMessina New Member

Simple. Delete all and Re-add music library

Deleting each file is insanely tedious and time consuming.
    The simplest method I found was simply highlight and delete ALL files from library (not cpu) and re-add them from your music folder. Its not instantaneous, but iTunes does the work for you. *NOTE - I lost the contents of some of my playlists. That was not important to me because they can be remade quickly... but consider that before choosing this option.

13. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

Is this a joke? In iTunes you can just select "show duplicates" and then delete them. It takes like 5 minutes.

14. SmartAlx

SmartAlx Zealot
    Gold

I'm pretty sure you missed when JJMessina said:

It hardly takes 5 minutes. It will take me more than 5 HOURS!

My problem is that I have over 100 playlists and I really pretty much need them all and I can't just go deleting duplicates. I don't know how I get them but I've got over 300 duplicates. I need a utility that will MOVE the good version of the song to every duplicates' playlists, in the proper position on that playlist, then delete the duplicates.

15. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

The question wasn't how to delete duplicates that are in playlists - the question was how to delete duplicates IIRC. I agree that when playlists are involved then the above process wont work - but it DOES remove duplicates.

Read the instructions from Mark (Swagger) on page 1 and that explains how to do it if your happy setting up playlists again.

16. anubis.

anubis. New Member

Import from ipod. Without third-party software. Delete and re-add library.

This is a slightly different take on what JJMessina said. If your ipod and iTunes libraries are identical, then there's an easy solution involving importing indirectly from your ipod. 1. Delete your iTunes library. Highlight all with ctrl + A. 2. Save ipod library to hard disk. To do this go to Computer;ipod;ipod_Control;Music. (If you can't find ipod_Control, that is because it is hidden. To view hidden files, in Windows 7, go to the Organize tab in windows explorer and select Folder Options. Then select the View tab and scroll down to Hidden Files and Folders>Show hidden files, folders, and drives.) You will see a number of folders named F00, F01 etc. Inside these folders are all your songs. Don't worry that they all have seemingly meaningless names like EZLC, that's taken care of in step 3. Now copy and paste the Music folder to your desired location on your hard disk, and rename it to avoid confusion. I named mine ipod Music. 3. Import ipod Music folder into iTunes. In iTunes, go to File;Add Folder to Library. Then navigate to wherever you saved your ipod's music, for me it would be Administrator;Music;ipod Music. Double-click on ipod Music (or whatever you named it) and highlight all the F00 etc. folders then press enter. iTunes will then add and organize all the songs into your library, complete with whatever information they contained when on your ipod. Still takes some time if you have a lot of music, but you don't have to do much; just let iTunes do its thing for like an hour. I guess the problem with this method is that if you import a friend's ipod library, you basically have the same duplicate problem, though probably not as bad.

17. MLD

MLD New Member

Thanks man, you are a genius! :-D

18. Sandeep Senggutuvan

Sandeep Senggutuvan New Member

I recently stumbled upon a add-artwork tool for iTunes which I mentioned in another thread - however there is a duplicate program which comes along from the same producers - it might be just what you need: http://www.copytrans.net/delete-itunes-duplicate.php

If you are on Mac, what comes up is coverscout for artwork and iDupe for duplicates.

19. cisero12

cisero12 New Member

i figured it out. its actually quite simple. if you have all of your music in a separate folder other than the one on iTunes you can then delete all of your music off of iTunes. Then you go to file. add folder. then find your folder where you had the music. just did it two seconds ago and it works.