Way to get $199 Price Even if you're in contract!

CJisohsocool

Bronze
Jul 28, 2008
Okay so I had the same problem as a bunch of people with the whole "Got iPhone 3g last year, cant get cheap price for 3gs now" And i found the solution :D If you have a family plan with more than your phone then use their phone to upgrade with and then just put your sim in it and tell AT&T to fix everything up. I called them twice and asked about it and they basically said thats fine as long as we get you in another 2 year contract with any number.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Its easier to just pay the early upgrade price. Someone else explained in the "think before you buy a 3gs thread". Some guy there keeps 2 lines for a family plan. Uses one line to get the 3gs and moves himself from the 3g line to the 3gs line. When the next iPhone comes he'll move from the 3gs line to the "new iPhone line" because the upgrade eligibility is there. However the cost of this is ineffective than just sucking it up and paying the one time upgrade price.

Family plans = more money monthly. Also, this prlly wont work for those who are just opening up a new family plan addition to their "single" account.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Yep. Its like $20/month more just for a family plan vs single line. Not to mention if you want unlimited texting it will be an extra $10/month vs single. So $30 a month * 12 months is $360 extra by using a family plan. Whats the early upgrade price again? lol

CJisohsocool

Bronze
Jul 28, 2008
Tarek, the OP said 'if you have a family plan', he wasn't suggesting that you get one just for the upgrade. This is exactly what I am doing.
Exactly. It would be stupid to make a family plan JUST for this lol, But if you have a family plan already like me (I have like 5 phones lol) Its super :D

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Yep. Its like $20/month more just for a family plan vs single line. Not to mention if you want unlimited texting it will be an extra $10/month vs single. So $30 a month * 12 months is $360 extra by using a family plan. Whats the early upgrade price again? lol
The early upgrade price is close to this. So you may as well just pay the early upgrade fee instead of increase the monthy rates you pay at. In the longrun it'll be WAY cheaper to just pay early upgrade.

azsprty

Jun 10, 2009
Valley of the Sun
i just added a line for 9.99 then the manager asaid I could remove all the data from the old phone and switch the sim card to the new phone

CJisohsocool

Bronze
Jul 28, 2008
Okay are you all dyslexic or something? I didn't mean to go out and buy another line and a family plan i meant...

IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A FAMILY PLAN WITH MORE PHONE NUMBERS ON IT THEN YOU CAN USE ONE OF THE NUMBER'S THAT ARE OUT OF CONTRACT

oriolesfan23

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Virginia
Sweet! I bought the 3G last year so my phone is still in contract, but my Dad's phone is eligible for an upgrade.

oriolesfan23

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Virginia
I've got one question about doing this though...Wouldn’t the person who was eligible for the upgrade be stuck with the iPhone data plan instead of their original plan? Hopefully this will all work out!

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I've got one question about doing this though...Wouldn’t the person who was eligible for the upgrade be stuck with the iPhone data plan instead of their original plan? Hopefully this will all work out!
It might just check your account online. If it does call AT&T and explain what you did, they are ok with doing this and will just take the data plan off the line. The only thing that is needs to be changed on that line is adding the 2 year contract, but since you aren't using the phone on that line a data plan isn't required.

CJisohsocool

Bronze
Jul 28, 2008
It might just check your account online. If it does call AT&T and explain what you did, they are ok with doing this and will just take the data plan off the line. The only thing that is needs to be changed on that line is adding the 2 year contract, but since you aren't using the phone on that line a data plan isn't required.
Yes all you do is call AT&T after and tell them your gonna be using the phone and not the other account, they will take off the data plan and put it on yours.

Icealicy

Jul 10, 2008
Ok, so in order to do this my dad has a phone that is out of contract and eligible for an upgrade. So can I actually order the phone through Apple? Once I get the phone I just call AT&T and tell them that I want to use the phone that my dad just upgraded for me on my account which already has the data plan so they can cancel the data plan on my dads account and then I can just put my sim in and it will work?

CJisohsocool

Bronze
Jul 28, 2008
Ok, so in order to do this my dad has a phone that is out of contract and eligible for an upgrade. So can I actually order the phone through Apple? Once I get the phone I just call AT&T and tell them that I want to use the phone that my dad just upgraded for me on my account which already has the data plan so they can cancel the data plan on my dads account and then I can just put my sim in and it will work?
Yep :] I called them twice before i pre-ordered it to make sure. they basically said w/e as long as we get you hooked in a 2 year contract on one of the numbers in the family plan

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
You might not even have to call, just check on your online account and make sure no data plan was added to his line. If it was then you can call them and tell them what you did and they will help you. When mine is delivered from Apple I am going to just put my sim in it (unless they want us to use the new one) and activate on iTunes. Shortly after that I will check online to see if the data plan was added to the line I used the eligibility of. If so I will call to correct it.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
seems to be a sound plan if att will infact take the data plan of the second line, ill do this but it will be instore not over the phone just to be safe.

best part would be that we wouldn't add 2 years to our current iPhone 3g plans so if a new version is released next year we can take advatage of upgrade pricing again, if im understanding correctly?