WD My Cloud 2TB

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Has anyone used these new 'My Cloud" network/cloud type devices?
I'm thinking of reducing paying service fees to the likes of Dropbox or OneDrive, etc. These WD My Cloud 2TB (and larger) Storage devices seem to be all the rage.

From my understanding it connects via your home network, and you can use an app on your smartphone to access it and said files on it, remotely. In addition you can perform backups from your desktop, etc. to it.

What's your take on it?

PS: I'll make sure to not 'bump' this thread, so if I don't comment on it, you'll understand why. Then again, how is one to encourage conversation on a forum, at that? Especially when we all know threads\posts gets lost among the plethora of threads\post. Hmm...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
You know my take. I think you should invest a bit more in a Synology. This gives you more flexibility with your storage. Plus, you can use it for fun stuff, like setting up a Plex server.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
i was thinking the same thing. they are rock solid unit. take chris's advice and spend a few more dollars now. and it will pay off in the long run

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
I had the three TB version and while it worked well, it was terribly slow at transferring files to and from the unit from within my network. Accessing files remotely was even slower. I fiddled with it for a little more than a year and ended up removing it's hard drive, re-partitioning it and using it as internal storage in my main computer. IMHO, not quite ready for prime time.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Sent from my iPhone 5

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
You had the 3TB version of the Western Digital? Thanks for the info.

So many choices. Since hardware is really going away (I work in IT and this seems to be the trend) maybe it is best to simply let the likes of OneDrive, DropBox, GoogleDrive, etc. lead the race...

I had the three TB version and while it worked well, it was terribly slow at transferring files to and from the unit from within my network. Accessing files remotely was even slower. I fiddled with it for a little more than a year and ended up removing it's hard drive, re-partitioning it and using it as internal storage in my main computer. IMHO, not quite ready for prime time.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Sent from my iPhone 5

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I've lost many a file entrusted to WD externals. My next venture into that realm leans toward Synology when I can afford it. It's a standard for Macs from what I've heard.
YMMV