"We have owned the file system"

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I love the title of this thread (and assumingly the article)
It makes it sound like Fort Knox. lol
:cool:

900 posts! WoOt!

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN

900 posts! WoOt!
I, too, hope that one day I will reach 900 posts... :laugh2:

This opens a lot of possibilities for customizing the iPhone. We will soon start to see 3rd party apps that will allows this. I just have a feeling that Apple is waiting for these guys to get so far, then swoop in with a software update that allows the same features. Either way, it's a win-win for us!

drjman

Jul 2, 2007

900 posts! WoOt!
I was thinking more "all your bases have belong to us...."

It's funny reading all the angry WM5 and "smartphone" lovers' vitrol being spewed in the comments section on that site. I guess it's backlash for the iPhone being marketed so heavily and all the hype. Anyone can use what they like as far as I care--I'll never give up my Blackberry! I found the Windows Mobile 5 device completely unusable, I was avoiding using it.

ccr78

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Awesome news.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I, too, hope that one day I will reach 900 posts... :laugh2:

This opens a lot of possibilities for customizing the iPhone. We will soon start to see 3rd party apps that will allows this. I just have a feeling that Apple is waiting for these guys to get so far, then swoop in with a software update that allows the same features. Either way, it's a win-win for us!
I'd rather have Apple give me a feature than use a third party app. I'm assuming hacking the phone, will void the warranty. It did on my old razor phone. I really didn't care about messing up my 200 dollar razor phone. But my 600 dollar iPhone is a different story.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
I'd rather have Apple give me a feature than use a third party app. I'm assuming hacking the phone, will void the warranty. It did on my old razor phone. I really didn't care about messing up my 200 dollar razor phone. But my 600 dollar iPhone is a different story.
I don't think the people who are interested hacking these things are going to be deterred by voided warranties. They're trying to stay ahead of the software development curve, and $600 is a small price to pay to get started. For regular users like us, it would be enough to keep us from doing too much tweaking, but then again, we're not trying to write software or get hired by a company who wants us to develop 3rd party applications for the phone.

gannon145

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Melbourne, FL
Risking $600 on bricking my phone scares me. I'm in agreement on waiting for Apple's apps or until they open up 3rd party apps.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Risking $600 on bricking my phone scares me. I'm in agreement on waiting for Apple's apps or until they open up 3rd party apps.
Yeah, I wanna keep the Apple "secure and easy" feel, on my phone. I'll wait for official stuff.

apercele79

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
i need this phone unlocked before i leave for europe on july 19th... im still hoping something will happen in the meantime.. :)

Crazieukfan

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
I want to just go ahead and un lock it but i know that some how that wil mess it up so im just going to wait till Apple comes out with some stuff. Hope its soon.

gannon145

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Melbourne, FL
Along the same lines as what I said before... do you think these guys are bricking/killing phones unintentionally and if so how many do you think?

That thought makes me sad. :(

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
but do provide the picture above as evidence of their hacking skillz.

Looks like Photoshop to me.

- SR

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Along the same lines as what I said before... do you think these guys are bricking/killing phones unintentionally and if so how many do you think?

That thought makes me sad. :(
Well,.. After checking what they did. I think they're a little over confident. They basically removed the sim card and moved a Icon. The moving is Icons is probably already in the code. All they did was turn on a option. It was basically like me when I started modding my Razor Phone. There was all this hidden code on the phone. All people were doing was turning on what was already there. I work for software company and lots of stuff goes into products which are just never activated for one reason or another.

It makes me sad too gannon...

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Will be interesting if they ever do anything. I have been hearing they are this close to this or that since hours after the phone came out.

I understand the hacker mentality and their desire to break into it. But stuff like this is of minimal interest or benefit to the average person unless it actually allows people to do something useful. That may all come in time...

Until then...

drjman

Jul 2, 2007
There are hackers and then there are developers....

Someone posted a link to this in another thread, looks like there was a Day Camp for Geeks where brainiacs were encouraged to hack away, and hopefully come up with something useful, or at least make headway toward something useful. Looks like it was sponsored by Adobe, so seems legit.

http://news.com.com/2300-1041_3-6195568-1.html?tag=ss

Here's what they came up with and what's coming:

http://barcamp.org/iPhoneDevCampApps