Weak screen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tubamajuba, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Tubamajuba

Tubamajuba New Member

I am really happy with my iPad 2 overall (had it for about two weeks, decided to skip on the iPad 3 and wait for the 4), but there's one small thing I'm worried about. On the bottom right corner of the screen, there is a spot on the screen that seems to be weaker than the rest of the screen. If I touch the screen even slightly harder than normal, the glass presses against the screen and causes the colors to temporarily distort. I know this is easy to replicate with plastic screens, but I've never had this happen to a iDevice before. I'm not worried about dropping my iPad because I am extraordinarily careful with how I handle it, but I worry about the repeated stress on that one spot on the screen. If this is normal with iPads then so be it, I can live with it. I'm just curious, because the rest of the screen seems to be absolutely impervious.

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

If you have an Apple store nearby, I would make an appointment with a genius and look at having them replace the iPad for you. It shouldn't do that at all on the screen.

3. Tubamajuba

Tubamajuba New Member

Alright, thanks for the advice! I already had the original iPad 2 I bought replaced for a dead pixel. I'm wondering if Apple is going to be as nice about it this time, or maybe I just need to learn to live with it?

I know the glass itself is plenty strong. My only worry is that there is probably so much pressure on the LCD screen at rest that even pressing too hard might crack the panel itself, even if the glass remains unscathed. I was reading a post on another forum where somebody was trying in vain to convince quite a few posters that the screen on their iPad 2 cracked in the palm of their hands. I can see how that might happen now...

I really think Apple has finally reached the limit of how tightly you can squeeze an LCD and backlight into a device- and for that I commend them. But reading all the reports of subpar displays going back to the launch of the iPad 2, I wonder what Apple has in store for the future. AMOLED displays, possibly?

But I digress. In any case, I don't want to run the risk of being that guy that comes across as, "OMG MY IPAD IS MESSED UP SO EVERYONE ELSE'S IS TOO AND APPLE SUX BECAUSE OF IT", so I just want to say that regardless of my personal issues, the iPad 2 is a great device that certainly deserves the millions upon millions of sales it has racked up. May the iPad 3 be even more successful!