Weather app on iOS 8 communicates with OS X Yosemite… without requesting permission?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I just noticed now that if I add a city to my Weather app's city list on my iPhone, it also gets added automatically on the Weather widget on my iMac running OS X Yosemite. Remove it on iOS, and it is also removed automatically from my iMac.

The thing is, on iOS, when I go to Settings > iCloud, there is a list of apps that are sharing data via iCloud. Weather is not on that list. Shouldn't it be? I have to assume that my Weather city list is being shared via my iCloud account, and not by other means (devices on the same Wi-Fi network, or Bluetooth [I have that off on my iPhone, anyhow]).

The Weather app or widget is also missing from the corresponding list on OS X Yosemite (System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive > click on Options):
    weather.jpg
    Does this mean that under certain circumstances outside of my control, apps are alllowed to store certain kinds of data in iCloud without my explicit permission?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think Documents and Data syncs a lot of information through iCloud without specifically listing it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List