Weather Channel Blocks iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
C

crjdriver

The Weather Channel started redirecting all iPhone users to a mobile web page. You cannot get to a "content rich" Weather Channel page anymore while using Safari on your iPhone. I have filed my complaint to them and got this response:

Thanks so much for taking the time to write to us. We felt that the load time for weather.com was excessive so we made the decision to force the mobile site and thereby cut our download time in half. We are actively monitoring this, as well as consumer feedback and may make an update to our current strategy soon.
Thanks for taking the time to let us know how you feel and please send any additional thoughts or comments directly to me.
Cathy Rohrl
Product Manager - Mobile Web
crohrl@weather.com

Everybody should email her and complain. If they want to inform us that there is a mobile web that we can go to for faster download speeds, I would have no problem with that. We should not be automatically redirected.

What are your thoughts?

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
I use Accuweather ... I did use the weather channel before tho.. I understand what they are saying tho but they should have given an option like a subdomain for mobile to load not just rejecting automatically

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
It's not that I used their site overall, but I liked their maps in motion radar...it took me a couple days to finally find radar that has movement...

I do wish it wasn't an automatic redirect though.
I'm exactly like you, like the map in motion. I noticed yesterday that it kept re-directing me but this morning I cleared all history, cookies, and cache and poof, I had it back.

Not sure if that had ANYTHING to do with it but I was happy to have my moving map back :)

MadDog31

Bronze
May 15, 2007
Wilmington, NC
www.bitterfans.com
I'm exactly like you, like the map in motion. I noticed yesterday that it kept re-directing me but this morning I cleared all history, cookies, and cache and poof, I had it back.

Not sure if that had ANYTHING to do with it but I was happy to have my moving map back :)
Intriguing...I may have to try that myself and see if it can be duplicated...I'll report back!

[UPDATE] It does indeed work to clear your cache and cookies to get the full Weather.com page, although it'll be interesting to see if it's only a temporary solution. Regardless, there is a way around it at least for a one-time shot. Great find petalmom!

sled14

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Fort Lauderdale
Sounds like the opposite for me, Weather.com works exactly the same as if I were on a computer but Accuweather.com redirects me to the wirelessaccuweather.com site, which is a watered-down version

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Sounds like the opposite for me, Weather.com works exactly the same as if I were on a computer but Accuweather.com redirects me to the wirelessaccuweather.com site, which is a watered-down version
ya weather.com works fine for me as well

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
iweather.com works on the iPhone. It's pretty good actually. It is basically the weather.com weather map (motion too) without the extra advertisements and other things that clutter the page.

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Another site to try is wunderground.com. They have a full site that you can browse or a mobile site as well. It does have a lot of ads, but for $5 bucks a year they go away. They also have email, and text alerts you can set up for all sorts of weather conditions.

//I am not affiliated with them in anyway, i just really like their site/service.

Jul 27, 2007
Another site to try is wunderground.com. They have a full site that you can browse or a mobile site as well. It does have a lot of ads, but for $5 bucks a year they go away. They also have email, and text alerts you can set up for all sorts of weather conditions.
And if wunderground.com is too heavy for you, and m.wund.com is too lite, try www.wund.com for a happy medium.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I found a great site for radar weather that is built for the iPhone.

www.iweathr.com

Check it out and stick it to those redirecting the iPhone
Thanks for the link but, ugh, what an annoying site. Should be called iRadar since that's all it offers. And talk about an iPhone interface done wrong: huge city list with no means to jump ahead (think: lots of scrolling) and to make matters worse once you find a city and view its radar, when you return to the city list you start at the top no matter what. On a good note the maps load quikly.

--
Mike

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
yeah the fact that it isnonly radar may be a bit annoying to some but sometimes all i wanna see is where the storm is at so radar works for otherwise there is the weather already on the phone

thehotrod

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
I can't believe the Weather Channel. I used to love that web app...now it stinks. I sent them an email complaining about it, we will see if they have the nerve to even respond.

thehotrod

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Yes NOAA has good data, but the WeatherChannel's Radar is the best looking, smooth and detailed.

Any way I just found out how to fix the WeatherChannel's Webapp.

Go to weather.com/iPhone
When it switches to xhtml..... click on the link in upper left that says View Classic Weather.com.
This will set a cookie.
Then type or load from bookmark weather.com/iPhone and BINGO there you go.

Hope this helps others.