Web apps make no sense to me

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 11, 2007
I really don't see how a web application can be of any use...regardless of what it does. For example: Let's say I have a web application that figures how much I should pay for a tip at dinner. Using Edge...by the time I get the page to load, type in the data, hit the "calculate" button I could have figured it by hand easily. I just can't see how I would wait for ANY of the apps on the Apple site to load. Just checking my hotmail account takes about 3 or 4 minutes. Using the web over Edge just takes WAAAYYYY too long if you need the information now.

Not to mention if I want to use an application and have no access to internet (on a plane for example).

I really don't get it...

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Yeah I have to agree with you on this. If we will ever have to use EDGE, then GOD save iPhone web app. EDGE is only good for regular browsing, aint good for these web apps.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
While I agree that there are some useless webapps out there (aka the tip calculator), there are some really cool ones such as the ebook one. It allows you to read any book from a selection of 20000 books. Pretty handy if you're waiting for a plane at the airport..

exilio

Oct 4, 2007
WebApps suck*. Give me real 3rd party apps Apple! :mad:

* By suck I mean native apps run faster, don't require a good connection and often times, looks better. Some WebApps are quite friendly but should not be a replacement for native application development.

iCop

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Tucson, AZ.
iPhone friendly site?

What I don't understand is why the hell does Apple NOT have an iPhone friendly version of their site?!? I would think that the makers of the iPhone would want to show off not only how "cool" the scrolling with your finger can be, but how nicely a site can be navigated! Rolling out the new "webapps" portion of their site would have been a prime time to do this. I mean, this portion of the site is strictly for the iPhone!

In my opinion, the decision to not make the webapps site iPhone friendly is even more stupid than some of the webapps themselves. Come on Apple!

gregneedham

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Your overall point is good, but your example is a bit lame. How much you should you pay for a tip?

Let me time this: turn on phone, open calculator, enter dinner amount and multiply by .20 = tip.

8 seconds.

Skeletor

Sep 12, 2007
Also, you bought the phone knowing it had edge. Why the hell do people complain about edge speeds when they knew what they were getting when they bough the phone? *shrug*

firefighterjmar

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
I really don't see how a web application can be of any use...regardless of what it does. For example: Let's say I have a web application that figures how much I should pay for a tip at dinner. Using Edge...by the time I get the page to load, type in the data, hit the "calculate" button I could have figured it by hand easily. I just can't see how I would wait for ANY of the apps on the Apple site to load. Just checking my hotmail account takes about 3 or 4 minutes. Using the web over Edge just takes WAAAYYYY too long if you need the information now.

Not to mention if I want to use an application and have no access to internet (on a plane for example).

I really don't get it...

totally agree! those were my exact first thoughts when i read about Apples' list of web apps.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
totally agree! those were my exact first thoughts when i read about Apples' list of web apps.
'
You are all completely missing the point! Web apps are cool and useful because Steve says they are. We need no other reason since Steve said it. Web apps rule and you all shall follow!

PS - I hate web apps. They are beyond lame. The biggest problem I see with them is that when I will want to use them they might not be available since I live in Utah. Many times when I travel I have no cellular service. Web apps are beyond worthless at that point, particularly since the phone does not hold what you loaded indefinitely, otherwise you could at least load something and come back to it when you want it. I find that often if I wait a few hours then come back to a page that the page is white (blank).

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Also, you bought the phone knowing it had edge. Why the hell do people complain about edge speeds when they knew what they were getting when they bough the phone? *shrug*
What's going on is that people are used to using "Mobile Web" which is not true html. So there's a lot less data. The iPhone is pretty much using full blown html (a full website). hence the slower speeds to get a website, but its a actuall full website insted of the mobile web garbage.

Aug 11, 2007
Your overall point is good, but your example is a bit lame. How much you should you pay for a tip?

Let me time this: turn on phone, open calculator, enter dinner amount and multiply by .20 = tip.

8 seconds.
I was using the tip calculator simply as an example. I don't need a machine to tell me what 15 or 20 percent of a number is.

To the poster accusing me of complaining about edge speed: I'm not complaining about edge...I'm saying a native app makes far more sense and is far more useful than an app over edge.

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
He's not complaining about EDGE itself, he's simply stating that he finds the webapps useless because of their limitations. He's saying that having those apps available as online ONLY apps limits their usefulness as opposed to if they were apps living on the phone and available at all times regardless of internet connectivity.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Nice attempt at diverting the discussion, but the topic is really about Web apps, not EDGE.

--
Mike

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
'
You are all completely missing the point! Web apps are cool and useful because Steve says they are. We need no other reason since Steve said it. Web apps rule and you all shall follow!
I read somewhere that Jobs said they would not allow native apps because of the chance that it would cause the entire AT&T network to crash. I'm sorry but to me this is the height of stupidity. AT&T also supports Treo's, the Blackjack, BB's, etc. and all allow native apps; so why is the iPhone more sensitive to running native apps that it could cause the entire network to crash? How stupid does the man think we are?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I read somewhere that Jobs said they would not allow native apps because of the chance that it would cause the entire AT&T network to crash. I'm sorry but to me this is the height of stupidity. AT&T also supports Treo's, the Blackjack, BB's, etc. and all allow native apps; so why is the iPhone more sensitive to running native apps that it could cause the entire network to crash? How stupid does the man think we are?
Stupid enough not to realize that the iPod Touch, which is locked up the same as the iPhone, doesn't even have a phone. :p:p:p

--
Mike