Websites

glengara

May 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
How do websites look on the iPhone?
I'm considering getting one.
When one looks at a website on an iPhone does it show ok or like cell phones do websites have to be adapted to be seen on iPhones as well?

Thanks

Glengara

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
websites look great - just as you'd see them on a browser on your computer. you should check out the videos on Apple's site here - some of the tutorials and commercials demonstrate this clearly.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Having used the bulk of smartphones available on the market, I can say that without a doubt, the iPhone offers the best web experience. Not only does it correctly render and display websites, it offers unparalleled usability. If there is any downside, it's the speed of the browser. However, to some extent that's often dependent on the site itself. The release of the 3G iPhone next month should put those issues to bed.

glengara

May 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Having used the bulk of smartphones available on the market, I can say that without a doubt, the iPhone offers the best web experience. Not only does it correctly render and display websites, it offers unparalleled usability. If there is any downside, it's the speed of the browser. However, to some extent that's often dependent on the site itself. The release of the 3G iPhone next month should put those issues to bed.

Thanks but I suppose my question is do you have to scroll over and back as you do on an ordinary mobile phone or does it automatically shrink a normal website that one sees on a PC down to size that it shows perfectly. From what I've read about the 3G it makes sense to hang on a few weeks

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Thanks but I suppose my question is do you have to scroll over and back as you do on an ordinary mobile phone or does it automatically shrink a normal website that one sees on a PC down to size that it shows perfectly.

Well, both.

When you initially load a page, it will be shrunken down and fit on the screen. You can then zoom in to a section (either by double-tapping or by the "pinch" method) and then pan around with your finger. It sounds more complicated than it really is, and can only be truly understood when you try it.

I will second Chris' comment: It is the best phone browser experience, period.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Your best bet is to run over to your local Apple store and play with the iPhone there. You will be amazed.
I couldnt agree more and I can tell you for certain it is the best mobile browsing experience you can have on a mobile to date. Apart from using my pc at work I almost exclusively use it for general browsing. Infact I use it for all my dealings with the EIC, facebok and the like. I would have never attempted this with any other mobile browser and I have used.... Palm, blackberry etc. Its probably the best component of the iPhone. If this is is one of the main reasons you are thinking of getting the iPhone then its a must.