WebVNC - Remote Desktop / VNC on your iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/v/Hv_JTHVsa8U
The idea seems simple enough. I want to be able to use my PC from the comfort and safety of my iPhone. I got to thinking about it, and it seemed that modifying VNC was the best option. It already has the remote framebuffer thing down pat and I just had to write a web interface for it so the iPhone could connect up.

I decided on TightVNC as my starting point. There was already a built-in HTTP server that I modified heavily. Right now it's Windows only because that's all I have to develop on, but I didn't use Windows-specific functions so porting should be trivial. (Update: now it does use Windows-specific functions for window choosing. Sorry!)

To use:
- Download the Binaries from my website (Developers: source, patch)
- Extract all files into some folder and run WinVNC.exe
- It will ask you to set a default password. CAUTION: At the moment the web client sends your password in plaintext. Use caution when connecting over open Wi-fi access points.
- Note your computer's IP address, and type it into the iPhone Safari address bar, appending :5800, like http://192.168.10.13:5800/
- Enter the password in the password box, and hit Log In.
- A list of windows will show up. Choose one or use Full Desktop to show it all.

Use the iPhone's excellent zooming and panning capabilities to move around your desktop. To perform an action such as clicking or typing, tap the screen where you want to do it, and a menu will show up, along with a crosshair for accuracy.
640 800 Full Options are for the most part self-explanatory.

Supported actions:
- Clicks: Left, right, middle, double
- Scrolling: Mouse wheel up and down
- Dragging and dropping (click Drag to hold mouse button down, click Drop to release)
- Text entry

To enter text, use the Text Input button. VNC will click where the crosshair is centered, then create a text box for you to enter text.
640 800 Full Click the blue "Done" button to type your text onto your PC. Press the X button below the input box to close it.

How it works

WebVNC is a modification of the VNC server. Where before the HTTP server in VNC would just serve a Java Applet, now it serves an AJAX application that downloads the screen as a set of JPEG images. The application then checks back with the server to see which ones have changed, and reloads them. Input is just another message to the server.

The window list is done with Windows-specific functions, enumerating top-level windows and returning a list of their titles and positions. When you click one the VNC server activates the window and the AJAX app limits its window size to just the one window.

VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/v/Hv_JTHVsa8U

finagle69

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
all I can say is WOW. You've certainly put together a nice tool. I will definitely be trying this out very soon. I was hoping something like this would be possible, but didn't think it would come about so soon.

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
Very very good job.. I use my blackberry rite now with RDM+ to control mydesktop and GoToMyPC when im on the move.. this is definitely something im going to try out now..

Emdriven

Jul 8, 2007
Very nice app.

I was really excited when I downloaded this app. I really need something like this since my work is IT and am constantly connecting to different pcs. I downloaded and installed and followed your instructions. I can connect to my server but only see a blank screen with no windows. Am I doing something wrong, or do I need to make any changes to any settings in the iPhone? Thanks for the help.

frank85

Jul 9, 2007
very nice now i don't have to wait for log me in to finish their mac version of their remote interface... ill let you know how it works when i try it tonight

finagle69

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I realize that you are not Tech Support, but it seems that WebVNC crashes when i try to access either a folder or full desktop. i can log in and see the initial menu, but can't get further.

would this problem be due to running Vista Ultimate instead of XP?

finagle69

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
the initial screen comes up with "Full Desktop", "Window 1", etc. when i click on any of the available windows/full desktop, it begins to load, but then stops. when i remote desktop into my PC, it tells me WinVNC has stopped working... i'm using Vista Ultimate, which is what's most probably causing the problem.

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
Many thanks. Works now.

finagle69 - it's most likely a vista issue. On my vista machine I tried installing pcAnywhere. after the installation, the OS would not start up. I had to start up in safe mode, go to a previous restore point, and then it worked. Most like a vista incapatibility.

finagle69

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Many thanks. Works now.

finagle69 - it's most likely a vista issue. On my vista machine I tried installing pcAnywhere. after the installation, the OS would not start up. I had to start up in safe mode, go to a previous restore point, and then it worked. Most like a vista incapatibility.
i have no doubt that this is the case.

on a lighter note, i got it to work with my XP work PC... however, only using the LAN IP. i'll need to figure out how to get the Vonage device to forward a port as it's the first in line from the DSL router.

finagle69

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
When I had Vonage in the past, I put the vonage router on a separate subnet than the rest of the network this way it wouldn't interfere.
we have 4 total lines, 2 boxes total. we put one box on a subnet, but the box with the main line right after the DSL router. that way we had a failsafe. if our server and switch and main router goes down, we can still make phone calls.

back OT:
update with Vista.

tried XP compat, no luck
tried 2000 compat, no luck
tried 98 compat, no luck
tried 98 compat & run as admin, LUCK! it's at least displaying a window or desktop, but, nothing is seen in a window, no icons show on the dtop. what i see is a black screen with an appearingly empty window with no title, and the sidebar. i can click and issue commands, but nothing happens.

i'll try reverting back out of compatibility and see if that helps.