weDict 0.6.1

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Maybe the rest of you have already figured this out and this post is unnecessary, but nevertheless I've finally got it figured out, so I'll share it just in case.

The update for weDict on Installer (whether you had 0.5.0 or 0.4.1 previously) was a bit confusing. First of all, if I updated to 0.6.1 (I originally had 0.5,0 on my phone), then another "update" appears, 0.4.1. If I then "update" to 0.4.1, then update 0.6.1 re-appears. That aspect still hasn't changed and I continue to show one "update" pending on Installer, either 0.4.1 or 0.6.1, depending on which version I last installed.

I had settled on using 0.4.1 due to the fact I could not get 0.6.1 to function. Whenever I typed in a word and hit enter, I would get the "word not found" message, so I kept going back to version 0.4.1, thinking there was something still wrong with 0.6.1. Finally, I figured out that if you press the little "i" over on the top right hand side of the page first, it opens up another page and allows you to check one (or more) of your installed dictionaries. I loaded all of the ones I have installed. Then version 0.6.1 works fine, and you only need to load one or more of the dictionaries the one time.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I'm pretty sure I have the latest wedict installed. But, there is no little "i" to be found. The opening page is with the keyboard and search/ pronounce on top. Should the wedict app start up with search as it's first page? I typed in "moropus" and gave me no results, so I wanted to check if in fact it has the dictionaries I downloaded checked.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
I'm pretty sure I have the latest wedict installed. But, there is no little "i" to be found. The opening page is with the keyboard and search/ pronounce on top. Should the wedict app start up with search as it's first page? I typed in "moropus" and gave me no results, so I wanted to check if in fact it has the dictionaries I downloaded checked.
weDict 0.6.1 is from a completely different installer source (which is why two different versions show up in installer). 0.6.1 is by WeiPhone, while 0.4.1 is hosted by Ste. The URL for the installer source for weDict 0.6.1 is: http://app.weiPhone.com/installer/

Personally, I like 0.6.1 better, as I can finally get the pronounce feature to work (had to manually upload the sound files of course).

P.s. I don't think "moropus" is going to give you results anyway, as it is a proper noun. At least with the Merriam-Webster dictionary I have installed on the iPhone.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
weDict 0.6.1 is from a completely different installer source (which is why two different versions show up in installer). 0.6.1 is by WeiPhone, while 0.4.1 is hosted by Ste. The URL for the installer source for weDict 0.6.1 is: http://app.weiPhone.com/installer/

Personally, I like 0.6.1 better, as I can finally get the pronounce feature to work (had to manually upload the sound files of course).

P.s. I don't think "moropus" is going to give you results anyway, as it is a proper noun. At least with the Merriam-Webster dictionary I have installed on the iPhone.
Thanks for the info. I only have community sources installed , so what version be available from what source, because only one Wedict shows up on my list of apps to choose from. Is the UI the same on both versions? Or are there drastic changes? I'm wondering whether it's worth it for me to switch the version I have.

On "moropus," I thought since it is a species of animal (extinct, but still) it would have been in there.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Thanks for the info. I only have community sources installed , so what version be available from what source, because only one Wedict shows up on my list of apps to choose from. Is the UI the same on both versions? Or are there drastic changes? I'm wondering whether it's worth it for me to switch the version I have.

On "moropus," I thought since it is a species of animal (extinct, but still) it would have been in there.
I've attached a screenshot of 0.6.1. As you can see, it's a little different, but not by much. Like I said, I was able to get that pronounce/sound feature to work, after uploading sound files from here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/down...abdcRealPeopleTTS.tar.bz2&use_mirror=easynews

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I've attached a screenshot of 0.6.1. As you can see, it's a little different, but not by much. Like I said, I was able to get that pronounce/sound feature to work, after uploading sound files from here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/down...abdcRealPeopleTTS.tar.bz2&use_mirror=easynews

Interesting. I just went ahead and typed cat into my search and obviously got the same result from Merriam Webster, but I didn't get that choice of words (cat...catafalque) below my entry. It seems useful to have it guess what your choice is, because it helps with spelling as well. Looks like I should switch versions! Thanks for the screenshot!

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
How doyou upload the sound files for pronunciation with Wedict
Not sure if sounds work in the 0.4.1 version, but it definitely works with 0.6.1. Just go here to download the sound files:

Unzip and copy the WyabdcRealPeopleTTS folder to the following directory on your iPhone:
/var/root/Library/weDict

Unfortunately the file is huge (over 200MB), so I wouldn't recommend loading it unless you have enough space on your iPhone.

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Choice of words?

I just "updated" to 0.6.1 and hit the "i" and tried selecting one dictionary and multiple dictionaries but no matter what I did I did not get the selection of words. To me that is critical in a dictionary app! How did you get it to work on yours?

Many thanks in advance! :laugh2:

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
I just "updated" to 0.6.1 and hit the "i" and tried selecting one dictionary and multiple dictionaries but no matter what I did I did not get the selection of words. To me that is critical in a dictionary app! How did you get it to work on yours?

Many thanks in advance! :laugh2:
What words are you trying? I noticed that with my dictionary (Merriam-Webster), words like "sad" will come up, but not related forms of the same word like "sadden" or "sadly".

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
What words are you trying? I noticed that with my dictionary (Merriam-Webster), words like "sad" will come up, but not related forms of the same word like "sadden" or "sadly".
I was about to post "nevermind" but you beat me to posting. I got it working - not sure what I did differently but at least its working! Thanks.

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
are you scrolling through the words? Only a few lines are visible but you can scroll through everything starting with "sad" or whatever you type.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Not sure if sounds work in the 0.4.1 version, but it definitely works with 0.6.1. Just go here to download the sound files:

Unzip and copy the WyabdcRealPeopleTTS folder to the following directory on your iPhone:
/var/root/Library/weDict

Unfortunately the file is huge (over 200MB), so I wouldn't recommend loading it unless you have enough space on your iPhone.
For some further information about using the audio files and how to save some space on your iPhone by using alternative format files and modified program, see this thread:

http://modmyifone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18123

Be sure to read through the entire thread, but I believe the specific details about the above-mentioned is on page 3 of the thread; look for a post by Eurisko (post #45 to be specific).