Weigh in on web apps

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

velvetropeparty

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Maybe I am just too old school, but I think having apps only available via Safari SUCKS!
I am a huge Apple fanboy too. I wish people would stop creating these annoying and slow apps that we can only access via EDGE while a passenger in a car or train or plane ...oh wait, won't work in a plane! (tongue in cheek)
I hate to give Apple ammunition at the next keynote, justifying not allowing an SDK and the ability to load apps. I am sure to hear Lord Steve saying how many thousands of useless and slow (he might leave that part out) apps have been developed for the iPhone via the Safari interface. How many friggin bookmarks do I need to get simple jobs done!?

I love my iPhone for its interface, but it is seriously missing the boat on a few points and features that smartphones/pda devices have had since.... the NEWTON~

ala, install your own programs, copy/paste, SEARCH! ... and did I say SEARCH already?

sorry for the rant

dsuppa

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
New Jersey
www.dfsdesigns.com
I agree about the web app thing, I like to play mindless games on my cell phones always have from Snake to Tetris, now I cant do that if I don't have good service, and even when I do have good service the games take a minute plus to load. I would love to be able to dl and install games on the phone for when I don't have WiFi access.

Jul 10, 2007
I wish people would stop creating these annoying and slow apps that we can only access via EDGE while a passenger in a car or train or plane ...oh wait, won't work in a plane! (tongue in cheek)
I definitely hear you on this. I think the biggest problem is the combination of EDGE and web apps. Almost everything takes a while to load, which is really no better than having a slow-ass processor. If they had just fixed one of those problems (EDGE with native apps or web apps with 3G), we'd be much better off. ;)

Jul 12, 2007
I totally agree. They have to release an SDK for this thing or its full potential will never be reached. Web apps are good for certain things, but real apps will always have a place. I am counting on some real apps at some point. Otherwise I will be very disappointed and will ditch this for the next shiny new phone from some competitor that is more customizable.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Just wait for

Software updates and Leopard. The kitty iPhone is going to morph into a growling Leopard, most of it for free.
Meanwhile, we can enjoy some great alpha/beta software like iPhone Remote.

Doc Holiday

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
Software updates and Leopard. The kitty iPhone is going to morph into a growling Leopard, most of it for free.
Meanwhile, we can enjoy some great alpha/beta software like iPhone Remote.
Patience grasshoppers. I know, we all shelled out the big bucks and want to use the iPhone to play tetris, snake, soduku... personally I like Bejewled. Seriously everyone, just relax about the games, apps, ringtones, etc. not available YET. Believe and they will come... Are you seriously going to tell me that not having these features yet is going to upset you enough to return your iPhone, yeah right.

Just imagine all the cool "real" applications and games utilizing the touch screen and internal motion sensors that can be developed for the iPhone! I already have my ideas flowing just itching to start developing! Where's that SDK!

The web apps have their place and when used for the right application, can be quite useful. Developers need to keep in mind the speed of the EDGE network and produce their web apps accordingly. There is a lot of crap from when Javascript first came out being rehashed as iPhone apps. Totally not acceptable... iChess is a good example to follow for now. Look forward to many cool apps to show off your iPhone some more with soon!

Cash

Jul 5, 2007
I don't understand why people complain about the iPhone.If you're filthy rich and like to spend money of useless things I got you,but before I buy a 500-600$ toy I do a research and know exactly what I'm getting.iPhone is everything they said it would be plus a lot more.I find out new tricks every day and I didn't know how slick/small the phone is and how easy and convenient is to use.About third party apps all I have to say is that I've had smart phones before and from the 5 million user made apps out there maybe 5 are worth using.I find the web apps to be actually much more useful.I know that with SDK people will do wonders on this phone,but I didn't buy the phone because some day this could happen.Will there be more widgets/apps for iPhone? Sure ,but I think we're going to have to pay for them.Surprise.. Apple is it for the money!

Doc Holiday

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
I don't understand why people complain about the iPhone.If you're filthy rich and like to spend money of useless things I got you,but before I buy a 500-600$ toy I do a research and know exactly what I'm getting.iPhone is everything they said it would be plus a lot more.I find out new tricks every day and I didn't know how slick/small the phone is and how easy and convenient is to use.About third party apps all I have to say is that I've had smart phones before and from the 5 million user made apps out there maybe 5 are worth using.I find the web apps to be actually much more useful.I know that with SDK people will do wonders on this phone,but I didn't buy the phone because some day this could happen.Will there be more widgets/apps for iPhone? Sure ,but I think we're going to have to pay for them.Surprise.. Apple is it for the money!
What, Apple is in it for the money? I'm shocked! Hmm.. let's see... I'm a developer and producing apps is what I do to make a living, I guess I would be in for the money too! Oh no, what have I become! I am so ashamed of myself... I know I'll make a free web app, that iPhone users will love. It'll be the ultimate web search app called "iSearch" and it'll be a page with a link to Google on it. (Sorry, I was going to actually create the page to make the joke funnier but decided not to just in case someone actually believed it and get pissed off at me ha ha ha) OK enough!

Listen, there are web apps and there are web pages. WE all know the difference, so calling a web page with links a web app is a joke. iChess and Telekentic are very good examples of web apps developed for the iPhone. I'm sure there will be many more to come, like iSearch :p

Jeremiah

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Maryland
I agree with you about the things missing. But, I really don't care that much I guess it's because I'm upgrading from a Sony Ericson Z250a, which is pretty much junk. I also never played the games on it, so I was used to not having any games or apps to use on my phone. Maybe when the second generation comes out we will get some downloadable apps. Or maybe even from one of the software updates. I'd still like it if we could only use download apps from Apple themselves. I haven't really seen any good web 2.0 apps yet. Maybe a few good ones will come out. But when I do play a web app for a long period of time it really sucks because my Safari will close and go back to the home screen.