Weird activation problem

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
HELP! Weird activation problem

I got my iPhone used from someone on craigslist... The phone still had an activated sim card in it... I went to att and got a new sim... When I put it in and connected it to iTunes I got an error that this phone was not able to be activated for service.... So I though it was because it was still active so I used iPhone interface to deactivate and try but nuttin.... So I called att and they said that the equipment was still registered to someone account and that if I can't get in touch with the account holder and have them take it off their account that pretty much I'm screwed and own a paperweight... So I tried to contact them but couldn't find the number to reach him because the post was gone already... Getting frustrated I just wanted to be able to get on wifi for the time being and used the activation medthod for old sim card users on www.hacktheiPhone.com and the strangest thing happened... It worked... Much better than I wanted.... Now I have full cell phone service on andead sim card with no bill... I checked my mins and I have 450 and the balance is due 12/01/00 $0.00..... Very strange

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
i know this this is why im trying figure out how to get the phone activated under my own account... but att tells me that its Apples problem and Apple says its att's problem... i just get the run around... i have talked to reps from both sides on the phone and in person and no one can seem to help me

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
i know this this is why im trying figure out how to get the phone activated under my own account... but att tells me that its Apples problem and Apple says its att's problem... i just get the run around... i have talked to reps from both sides on the phone and in person and no one can seem to help me

There is a chance that the phone could be stolen, and if that is the case you may be up the creek without a paddle. My friend bought a Windows Mobile phone off of eBay and when he called to get it activated they said that the phone was registered to a different customer, they would not release the customer information to him, nor would they transfer it without the other owners express permission. He did everything, threatened to cancel his long standing account, etc. After many calls he never got it re-activated in his own name.

On one hand it really sucks because it sounds like you may have gotten ripped off, but on another hand the policy is understandable because if someone steals my iPhone I don't want them to be able to use it either.

Your best bet is to do the best to find a way to contact the person you bought it from, I would even go so far as to go to the police and file a report, maybe they can somehow track down the person it belongs to by calling ATT and explaining that they are with law enforcement. Once you find the owner (hopefully the person who sold it to you) then you can explain that you are having trouble getting it activated and that they need to contact AT&T for you. If the phone is in fact stolen, then maybe the right thing to do would be to return it to its rightful owner. The law states that if you buy something that is stolen, even if you were not aware that it was stolen, the item in question still belongs to its rightful owner.

In the future if you go this route be sure to request the IMEI number of the device and call AT&T first to be sure that you will be able to activate it and that the device is not reported stolen, banned, or in use already.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Yupp... I used to work for a cellular carrier, Best thing to do is get ahold of the person that you bought it from to remove the phone from his account. Right now it sounds as if you are using somone elses service, so you want to contact that person ASAP! because if it is a legitimate sale he could easily screw you as well by stating to att&t it was lost or stollen, in which case only the person that owns the account can EVER use that phone again. Only the account owner can re-instate a phones service.
If it is stollen and some guy sold it to you..... Your gonna have a 500 Dollar phone that can never have service. Well Best of luck, and hope the phone you bought isn't hot!:sick: