Weird Charging Problem

Donnybrooke

Bronze
Aug 23, 2009
I have had my 3GS since the day they came out. I never had a problem with it. Right now I would not consider this a problem, just an inconvenience. I had a 3G phone that I bought a couple of days before the 3GS announcement. Since I got it through AT&T I was able to return it and get my 3GS. I kept all the accessories from the 3G, one of which was a car charger. The phone always charged fine. Today I went on a trip and used my Navigon app with the phone on the charger. When I left the phone was not completly charged, but I don't recall the exact number. The trip was 90 minutes. When I arrived my battery was completly charged. I used the phone for a couple of hours off the charger and it was down to 45% charge. On the ride home it was back on the charger and using Navigon I noticed it was loosing charge. By about 3/4 of the way home I was down to 34%. I turned off the Navigon app and the phone started charging great. I guess the Navigon app uses so much power that if the battery is below a certain percentage it can not recharge.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Don't know if this will help but once a month it is suggested to allow your iPhone's battery to completely discharge. This is supposed to help with calibration. Some people have seen strange battery % losses and the discharge method has helped.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I hope this isn't considered changing the subject, but....... this brings up one of my big questions that I've never seen answered properly : does leaving location services on without using a gps app really drain the battery?

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
I think the drain comes when opening 1 of many programs that ask to use your current location. It seems like everybody is wanting to mark the spot with their software and that requires some pull of the battery. By itself I doubt it drains the battery. We know having WiFi on does as it keeps looking for a signal but I can't imagine the location services doing anything until some program asks where you are.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I think the heavy use of a memory intensive program (screen on, gps on, internet? on) messes with the calibration of the memory...as said above, let the phone run all the way down and do a full recharge.

cdc515

Bronze
Jun 10, 2009
I have also been experiencing some weird battery issues.

I charge my phone every night on the charger in the morning i take it off and go to work and about 4 hours later it is down to like 50% and by 7 hours the phone is dead. Yesterday i didn't even use my phone at all not one call or even turn the lockscreen on and the battery was at 100% percent when i came back to the phone it was at 26% and that was from absolutely nothing. I do not understand what this problem could be. I am jailbroken could that be the problem? This is just a big problem because my phone is constantly dying and then i recharge it from 0% back to 100% only to have it do the same thing the next day. How can i fix this?

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
I guess you could have several apps running in the background draining you. If you have backgrounder check check application specific- always enabled to see how many programs never quit. You may also want to look at SBSettings - Processes to see how many programs are running. Some people have hugh drain on 3G internet surfing. You may also want to try a hard reset, won't affect any data, by pressing and holding the power button and home button until the phone shuts off and don't release the buttons until after you see the Apple on the screen. My last option is to wait and see if 3.1 increases battery life. It should be out around the end of September. Maybe!

CK6Speed

Aug 31, 2009
All of a sudden overnight my barely 2 month old 3GS has developed a severe battery drain problem. The apps were fine all this time and the night before. I just put it on the supplied USB wall charger overnight like I always do, but this morning my battery is draining by about 1% per minute of standby use. I can watch the battery percentage go from 100%, to 99%, to 98% and so forth as each minute passes by. I already turned the phone on and off, rebooted the phone, and did a complete restore through iTunes and nothing helped. If I use any app or make calls the battery will drain much faster. I use the iPhone heavily throughout the day so everyday I'm running the battery below 30% and charging it back up. I do this at least 2X a day. I'm literally using the phone in some manner almost all day though so that was normal for me since day 1.

Right now from a 100% charge about 20 minutes ago my battery is already down to about 20% low battery warning because my son is playing a game on it. I think my battery is shot, or there is a bug in the 3.0 software. I guess I'll have to make an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow.

ticman

Aug 28, 2009
please post what you find out at the Genius Bar. I'm sure many of us would like to know the outcome. thanks and good luck

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
CK6, since this happened in the past couple days, have you tried letting it run till the unit shuts off? It is recommended to do this monthly and since you've restored and that didn't help I would sure try taking the battery to zero.

CK6Speed

Aug 31, 2009
Yes, since it started happening I have let the phone fully discharge and shut itself down, then fully recharged it every time for the past 2 days now. It hasn't worked and in fact I'm getting the jumping battery percentage that another poster has reported in the Apple.com support forum. Right now my phone has been completely restored as new and running only what came on the phone brand new. The only apps I have loaded is a battery meter app and a CPU usage meter app to monitor if anything strange is running in the background, but I haven't noticed anything except once where there was a spike and the CPU usage was pegged at 100% for a couple of seconds. Never seen that since, yet the battery still discharges about 2X as fast as it did previously. I heavily use the apps and internet so I used to get about 5 hours of usage before, now I get about 2.5 hours if I conserve power. If you check out the Apple.com forums there are others with the exact same problems, so the chances that we all have a bad app loaded is pretty slim. Plus my phone is pretty much OEM right now with nothing loaded but those two apps I mentioned.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
This may be a waste of time but since it's stripped right now delete the battery and CPU meters, hard reset to make sure they are out of memory and try from a full charge again. Next is Apple for a replacement or a battery swap.

CK6Speed

Aug 31, 2009
Went to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store tonight and they gave me a new iPhone. Took him about 1 minute to determine my battery might have a problem.