Weird circles on my iPhone (looks like under the screen)? Anyone have this happen?

DC23

Jul 22, 2009
Hey all, I just got my iPhone like 2 weeks ago. It has been in the little plastic thing it comes in since and today I took it off because I finally got a case and it looks like there are 3 circles on the iPhone underneath the screen. They look almost purpleish as they are on the black part near the top. Anyone know what this could be from?

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
These are the light sensors and are used for making the iPhone screen go black when you hold it to your head for a call. They also work with Auto Brightness to adjust the brightness based on the readings they receive.

You should only be able to see them there in certain lighting conditions. Probably real bright light shined on.

DC23

Jul 22, 2009
oh ok, so nothing wrong with it? Just figured i never saw them before and I was sitting in my car and noticed it!

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
yeah you will only see them when some kind of lighting conditions show them. They are normal and necessary. If you find that you see them indoors and out of direct light, you may want to take to an Apple store. That would definitely be a weird defect though. I left out before. I believe one is also some kind of proximity sensor.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Yeah, I had this same question when I got the phone! LOL

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
i am surprised you got the camera to show it.
ussualy i have to look in direct sunlight to notice it.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Yeah i noticed that the other day when i was outside in the sunlight

Was going to ask but i typed it into google and that told me what they were