Weird freezing situation...

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
I'm having freezing issues with my iPhone, and what's most frustrating is that they're not reliably reproducible (so I cant take it in to an Apple store and show them the problem).

Sometimes when it's "locked" and I push either the center menu or lock/unlock buttons, it will make the lock/unlock sound but the screen will just flash on for a second then back to black. For a second or two afterwards, it will be unresponsive to either button. This has happened at most three times in a row, and then it starts responding normally.

The other issue is with the on-screen keyboard, which I did manage to catch a picture of (attached). I'll be typing and then the keyboard will jump to random parts of the screen, freeze, then I'll have to push and hold the center menu button to quit the application. The lock/unlock button is usually (but not always) unresponsive during this freeze.

Is this a common problem? Is it something that warrants a replacement from Apple?

Attachments

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Stock phone or jailbroken?
You've said the issue is intermittent, but does it tend to occur most when using any one particular app?

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I get freezing issues every once n a while (not often). But remember , this is like a mini computer, so there is a lot going on in there (maybe a hamster in a wheel :) ), so visiting certain sites that are more content rich, or of dubious quality does affect performance. cleaning out the cache or even a restore usually brings the phone back to original condition. Ill bet we see more freezes and crashes when flash is implemented, i guess will just need to do a restore as a possible maintenance procedure then.

Last edited by a moderator:

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
Stock phone, and the second issue has happened only while using safari and SMS, not maps or youtube... but it may just be because I use those apps more.

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
aknightstale... this is a stupid question, but how do I go about cleaning out the cache? edit: nevermind, I see it's sittin' right there in the settings menu!

I do understand that with this level of complexity, freezing is inevitable. It's frustrating, though, because my fiance has an iPhone as well and hasn't experienced any of these problems (and he uses his as much as, if not more than, I use mine). We bought them both at the same time and each just picked a box. I think I picked the wrong one :p

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Try a Restore, see if that helps. If not, go into Apple; my phone doesn't freeze like that, and it's jailbroken.

- John

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Take it to Apple. The phone doesn't have to freeze up in their presense to prove your case. Just explain what is going on and they will take care of you. Take the picture you posted here along. That will support what you are telling them.

Edit: Like John said, try a restore first.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I would try a full reboot first. Make sure you power the phone completely down before you reboot it. Don't just put the phone to sleep or lock it, but power it down completely by holding down the lock button until you get the "slide to power off" message.

powersrus

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Battle Creek, MI.
I'm having freezing issues with my iPhone, and what's most frustrating is that they're not reliably reproducible (so I cant take it in to an Apple store and show them the problem).

Sometimes when it's "locked" and I push either the center menu or lock/unlock buttons, it will make the lock/unlock sound but the screen will just flash on for a second then back to black. For a second or two afterwards, it will be unresponsive to either button. This has happened at most three times in a row, and then it starts responding normally.

The other issue is with the on-screen keyboard, which I did manage to catch a picture of (attached). I'll be typing and then the keyboard will jump to random parts of the screen, freeze, then I'll have to push and hold the center menu button to quit the application. The lock/unlock button is usually (but not always) unresponsive during this freeze.

Is this a common problem? Is it something that warrants a replacement from Apple?

I have had the same problems with my iPhone as well and only does it once in awhile. I do a reboot then its fine. Starting to worry about it now!

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
I would try a full reboot first. Make sure you power the phone completely down before you reboot it. Don't just put the phone to sleep or lock it, but power it down completely by holding down the lock button until you get the "slide to power off" message.
I generally do this once every day or two. Just rebooted this morning and the unlocking problem happened again about 20 minutes later....

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I generally do this once every day or two. Just rebooted this morning and the unlocking problem happened again about 20 minutes later....
You probably should try a restore then, and if problem persists after that, talk to / take it to Apple ...

tom187

Apr 21, 2008
I bought an iPhone 1 week ago. Believe me, it is the coolest thing I have ever seen! How can you not love the easy Apple interface and all the features under one unit. Thought all this great electronic genius, I had problems with my phone as well.
I woke up one morning to find that my phone was just continually vibrating after the last call woke me up. I attempted to turn off the vibrating phone by pressing the screen, which was unresponsive. I then tried to push the middle button which did not good. I then attempted to power down the unit, which was still unsuccessful! I was pissed. I just paid $499 for this thing 1 week ago. I then took it and put it on the power dock. It was still locked. The phone also was very warm, and was not responding while the power was getting low.

I came back a few minutes later and plugged the dock into the computer. After 1 hour, I was able to get it to start working again. I was able to call a few people, but got the error "the Edge network is unavailable." And when I tried to use the internet or Wi-Fi, or use mail, it said "Serve not found." I brought it back to the AT&T store and it began to work again. They told me to monitor it, or I could bring it to the Apple store for them to either send it away of issue me another unit. I just bought it 1 week ago from AT7T, so I did not understand why I would go there and risk having them send it out, or make me pay more money, and/or loss a working phone which I needed. I then brought it to a Wi-Fi hotspot, and it worked again. I used it for a while, and then the internet stooped working and I got the same messages again. I brought it home, and read this site.
I then brought it back to the AT&T store. It again worked, which was mention in another post. I asked them to give me another unit, and then told me to go and bring it to the Apple store. I returned the entire phone, and had them activate my old phone. My former contract was expired, so I made sure that the new 2 year contract was made null, so I can buy another iPhone again, and not have to wait 2 more years!

Good Luck with the above information, I hope it helps someone!

-Neometh :mad:

tom187

Apr 21, 2008
I bought an iPhone 1 week ago. Believe me, it is the coolest thing I have ever seen! How can you not love the easy Apple interface and all the features under one unit. Thought all this great electronic genius, I had problems with my phone as well.
I woke up one morning to find that my phone was just continually vibrating after the last call woke me up. I attempted to turn off the vibrating phone by pressing the screen, which was unresponsive. I then tried to push the middle button which did not good. I then attempted to power down the unit, which was still unsuccessful! I was pissed. I just paid $499 for this thing 1 week ago. I then took it and put it on the power dock. It was still locked. The phone also was very warm, and was not responding while the power was getting low.

I came back a few minutes later and plugged the dock into the computer. After 1 hour, I was able to get it to start working again. I was able to call a few people, but got the error "the Edge network is unavailable." And when I tried to use the internet or Wi-Fi, or use mail, it said "Serve not found." I brought it back to the AT&T store and it began to work again. They told me to monitor it, or I could bring it to the Apple store for them to either send it away of issue me another unit. I just bought it 1 week ago from AT7T, so I did not understand why I would go there and risk having them send it out, or make me pay more money, and/or loss a working phone which I needed. I then brought it to a Wi-Fi hotspot, and it worked again. I used it for a while, and then the internet stooped working and I got the same messages again. I brought it home, and read this site.
I then brought it back to the AT&T store. It again worked, which was mention in another post. I asked them to give me another unit, and then told me to go and bring it to the Apple store. I returned the entire phone, and had them activate my old phone. My former contract was expired, so I made sure that the new 2 year contract was made null, so I can buy another iPhone again, and not have to wait 2 more years!

Good Luck with the above information, I hope it helps someone!

-Neometh :mad:

I have had the same problems with my iPhone as well and only does it once in awhile. I do a reboot then its fine. Starting to worry about it now!