Weird iPhone 4s Question

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by baseballcoach, Dec 12, 2011.

1. baseballcoach

baseballcoach New Member

My mother in law bought the new iPhone 4s from the app store. They charged her twice and sent her 2 phones. She opened one and uses it. (She has AT&T). She hasn't opened the other one. She told me if I sell it for her on eBay, she'd give me anything I got over $254.

My question is..Can I sell this as a new iPhone 4s? Doesn't it have her sim card in it if Apple shipped it to her? I have a 100% feedback on eBay and don't want to screw someone over, but I don't want to open it if I can sell is as New In Box.

Anyone have any answers?

2. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

People sell iPhones they received at promo prices on ebay all the time. The audience are people who want a new phone and don't have upgrade eligibility on the contracts. Pull the sim card and sell it. Depending on the size it could fetch you over 400 bucks.

#2 showguy, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014
  3. baseballcoach

baseballcoach New Member

I'll add a reply and a comment.

Comment: I don't want to remove the sim card because then the iPhone wouldn't be new in box. Obviously I will if there is no other way.

Questions: If I remove the sim card...is that all I need to do? Or is there more of her information on that phone?

4. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

If the phone has not been activated there is nothing else to do. And removing the sim is common place and a security thing for you.

5. baseballcoach

baseballcoach New Member

OK. So I can't sell it new in box then, because I need to remove the sim card. Keep in mind..that she is using an iPhone 4s. They sent 2. Same Phone #. Same sim card. They just messed up and charged her twice.

6. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

What most people do is say " new in box. Opened to test power up. Never activated". And the fact that they sent 2 phones with sim cards is all the more reason to pull the sim".

7. baseballcoach

baseballcoach New Member

That makes sense. Thanks. I guess I was more worried there would still be her info attached to it, if I only pulled the sim card.

8. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

Strange situation.
    I would just be wary of AT&T catching on that she has 2 phones and then charging her a monthly rate for the second one. She would then have to pay the early termination fee to get that phone off of her account.
    How do you know the other phone has the same phone # when it hasn't been activated yet ?

9. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Why not just send it back and get the money refunded? Saves having to take the risk that something could go awry- seller doesn't pay causing more eBay fees, seller buys it then decides he doesn't want an opened box after all and wants refund, phone somehow gets lost or damaged on the way to seller, etc.

I say, return it and be done with it.