weird symbol......

Aug 5, 2008
bay area ,ca
ok well I have a mac book pro got it like three yes ago .... I was online and got up but my foot got caught and log story short my laptop fell .From like a desk to the carpet. I'm super scared now because it turns on but it just stays on a blue start up screen with a little folder in the middle going from the two faces to a question mark that's all it does. Does anyone know what that means? I'm going to set an appointment to take it in but I just want to know if anyone has seen that symbol and know what it means? I'm freaking out here :(

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Used to happen on my mini all the time. theres a key combination to press that will boot the computer up. You have told hold down a key, with the power button at the same time.

I can't remember off the top of my head. I will try and search Apple.com support for you to see if I can find the key combination for you.

Do not fret though. I have seen it and gotten around it :)

Aug 5, 2008
bay area ,ca
Used to happen on my mini all the time. theres a key combination to press that will boot the computer up. You have told hold down a key, with the power button at the same time.

I can't remember off the top of my head. I will try and search Apple.com support for you to see if I can find the key combination for you.

Do not fret though. I have seen it and gotten around it :)

Thank u thank u thank u I love my laptop LOL Im so scared it got messes up. But it should be fine right? I mean they can't be that sensitive right. It didn't fall that hard . Err I hope to find out what that other key is to reset it. Will that earase all my info on my laptop?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY

Thank u thank u thank u I love my laptop LOL Im so scared it got messes up. But it should be fine right? I mean they can't be that sensitive right. It didn't fall that hard . Err I hope to find out what that other key is to reset it. Will that earase all my info on my laptop?
Nope...never had it erase anything.

Apparently this happens when the computer cant find the system software. Keep trying to reboot it and see what happens. I'll keep looking for the keystrokes.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Try this:

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM
Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.
Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

Special Thanks to psylichon who helped me search :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
You can try that keystroke combo, but the fact that this happened right after a drop doesn't bode well for your situation, unfortunately. If the disk was writing something at the time, it may be ok, and all you need to do is repair permissions (from the disk utility... if you can get it booted). However the hard drive may have taken on physical damage, in which case you'll need to get a new one (just a hard drive, not a whole notebook). Let us know how it goes...

Aug 5, 2008
bay area ,ca
Try this:

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM
Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second tim
Release the keys.
Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.
Special Thanks to psylichon who helped me search :)
Thanks but it still shows the same symbol. :(

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
:(

I think you need a new hard drive.

Try booting off the install CD and see if you can run disk utility from there and fix permissions there. That's the proper way to repair permissions on a boot drive anyway.

Aug 5, 2008
bay area ,ca
yeah I was jus online when it fell. I closed it when it was on and that's when it fell.

If I have to replace the harddrive.. How much does that usually go for?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
My mini used to show that screen every time i would disconnect it from the monitor and then reconnect it. It usually took a while, but I would eventually get OSX back.

But, it also came to our attention that my hard drive was corrupted which was probably causing this.

Aug 5, 2008
bay area ,ca
cd... I don't remember what cd or what I did with it... Gosh... I'll see what I can do. I might just take it in to Apple and see what they say

Thank you everyone for your help. I'll post up what happened when I figure out what to do

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The Apple Store should be able to hook you up. Good luck with it all!

Aug 5, 2008
bay area ,ca
The Apple Store should be able to hook you up. Good luck with it all!
thanks :) I'm just worried about all the files on my harddrive. Will all that me lost? I know it will huh , I'm just hoping it's not. But I well a new hard drive isn't bad.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well it depends. If the hard drive just has screwed up permissions or directory structure from being turned off while writing, it should be repairable using the disk utility (from the boot CD). If the drive took on physical damage and will not spin up, it becomes quite an expensive chore to get your data back.

Hey, here's something you can try.... turn it on with your ear down on the keyboard and see if you can hear a hard drive spinning up. If so, you may be in luck.

Aug 5, 2008
bay area ,ca
Well it depends. If the hard drive just has screwed up permissions or directory structure from being turned off while writing, it should be repairable using the disk utility (from the boot CD). If the drive took on physical damage and will not spin up, it becomes quite an expensive chore to get your data back.

Hey, here's something you can try.... turn it on with your ear down on the keyboard and see if you can hear a hard drive spinning up. If so, you may be in luck.
Yes when I turn it on I hear something spinning.

Aug 5, 2008
bay area ,ca
My prediction: You'll be just fine.
well i took it into the store today. i have to replace the hard drive. He said he heard a grinding noise when the computer starts up.

I guess its ok, I was going to upgrade the harddrive eventually. But I had done that key combo that was posted on here before... i was wondering.. by me doing that did that erase all my files on my hard drive?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
No, that just cleared the PRAM (program memory).... nothing to do with your hard drive.

Sorry to hear about your disk, but glad that was the only problem.

Aug 5, 2008
bay area ,ca
No, that just cleared the PRAM (program memory).... nothing to do with your hard drive.

Sorry to hear about your disk, but glad that was the only problem.
thanks. ok good. i have so many pictures on there that i didn't finish backing up. thats the main thing i still want from my hardrive. everything else i can get again no problem. but pictures lol cant replace those.

thanks again :) oh by the way..in order to get any files on my hardrive.. would i have to take it to a disk recovery person or whatever they are called? the genius bar guy said something about that but that its a little pricey .