Weird Vista/iPhone sync problem

simes6600

Dec 15, 2007
U.K.
i had a nasty does of virtumonde malmare on my PC a few days ago, completely removed and now PC is clean.

after cleaning, had to remove/reinstall iTunes 7.5 as the "iTuneshelper.exe" file had been infected. again, now all clean.

tried to sync my iPhone with Vista, and in device manager it just shows as "iPhone" with an exclamation mark. ok, so uninstall device and let Vista find it again, nope, still the same.

so tried reinstalling drivers, pointing to where the device driver is kept. fine. says device driver is installed, but when i go back to device manager its the same, no go...

so...

i found a system restore point that allows my iPhone to sync with Vista (32bit) fine, shows up as an Apple device etc, can transfer photos. i don't have iTunes installed at this restore point, so i reinstall it. and then the problem comes back after install. ie, iPhone wont install correctly in Vista.

any ideas?

thanks in advance..

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
i had a nasty does of virtumonde malmare on my PC a few days ago, completely removed and now PC is clean.

after cleaning, had to remove/reinstall iTunes 7.5 as the "iTuneshelper.exe" file had been infected. again, now all clean.

tried to sync my iPhone with Vista, and in device manager it just shows as "iPhone" with an exclamation mark. ok, so uninstall device and let Vista find it again, nope, still the same.

so tried reinstalling drivers, pointing to where the device driver is kept. fine. says device driver is installed, but when i go back to device manager its the same, no go...

so...

i found a system restore point that allows my iPhone to sync with Vista (32bit) fine, shows up as an Apple device etc, can transfer photos. i don't have iTunes installed at this restore point, so i reinstall it. and then the problem comes back after install. ie, iPhone wont install correctly in Vista.

any ideas?

thanks in advance..

I assume you are re-booting the machine after the restore point, then to Apple and download iTunes, install, then reboot again.

simes6600

Dec 15, 2007
U.K.
I assume you are re-booting the machine after the restore point, then to Apple and download iTunes, install, then reboot again.

nope, i didn't, which is exactly why i got the problem. i rebooted, then installed, and my iPhone now syncs fine.

but....

my ipod, and the wife's nano came up with the exact same prob after the reboot and install. would not install an ipod device driver.
managed to fix this by connecting the ipod, uninstalling the driver, reboot, and vista found a working driver.

thanks for replying!

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
nope, i didn't, which is exactly why i got the problem. i rebooted, then installed, and my iPhone now syncs fine.

but....

my ipod, and the wife's nano came up with the exact same prob after the reboot and install. would not install an ipod device driver.
managed to fix this by connecting the ipod, uninstalling the driver, reboot, and vista found a working driver.

thanks for replying!

Well at least you got the work-a-round and is working for you. Thanks