Well a friend did it.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
A friend of mine purchased an iPhone as a second line. His first phone being the AT&T Tilt with the MediaNet Unlimited plan.

He kept the iPhone for a couple of weeks then called AT&T and told them to cancel this line. They told him to return the iPhone and he said no, so they charged him with a $160 ETF fee, not the $175 as stated in his contract.

He then took the SIM card from his Tilt and stuck it in the iPhone and off he went. He has since been billed and they are billing him the MediaNet Unlimited plan, even though he is using the iPhone.

Interesting.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
A friend of mine purchased an iPhone as a second line. His first phone being the AT&T Tilt with the MediaNet Unlimited plan.

He kept the iPhone for a couple of weeks then called AT&T and told them to cancel this line. They told him to return the iPhone and he said no, so they charged him with a $160 ETF fee, not the $175 as stated in his contract.

He then took the SIM card from his Tilt and stuck it in the iPhone and off he went. He has since been billed and they are billing him the MediaNet Unlimited plan, even though he is using the iPhone.

Interesting.
I use my BlackBerry's unlimited MediaNet plan on my iPhone... I can even use 3G without getting charged extra for it...

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I'm gonna try downgrading my 3G plan down to the Media Net and see what happens?
Idk if it'll let you if you do it (online) though because you have the iPhone 3G as your active phone.
I called AT&T and told them I was going to use my BlackBerry and wanted to take off the iPhone plan. They did it no questions asked. I did this before my 30 day trial period was up too.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
is it really worth the $160? Basically you have to use it 16 months before you break even, right? Not to mention, I don't think you're covered under the Apple warranty unless you have an AT&T contract.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Cheaper bill i believe.
Guys, ATT does know this is going on, they are canceling this stuff sometime in November. I'll go pull up the link, its somewhere.

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
You guys will get caught... my step mom works at AT&T call center as a TM and she said the system does a "sweep" and they will know if your using a iPhone on a non iPhone data plan... youll get an e-mail or letter stating

"Our service records indicate that you are using an iPhone 3G with a data plan designed for other devices. To avoid unexpected data overage charges and enable Visual Voicemail, please contact your telecom manager, or an AT&T representative at 1-800-331-0500."

so youll get caught its only a matter of time

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Well the thing for me is that I actually do use a BlackBerry with the BB Plan. Every couple of days I'll switch between the iPhone and the BB.

Maybe once or twice while using the iPhone, I received a text saying something like "Your data plan does not support visual voicemail on iPhone 3G" ... Something similar to that.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Well the thing for me is that I actually do use a BlackBerry with the BB Plan. Every couple of days I'll switch between the iPhone and the BB.

Maybe once or twice while using the iPhone, I received a text saying something like "Your data plan does not support visual voicemail on iPhone 3G" ... Something similar to that.
Brilliant idea! ... Gotta love it, too bad that just don't let you do that. Do you have MMS service enabled on that line? I wonder if a certain piece of software starting with swirly will work?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i still don't see how this is worth it. not only is the price only marginally better, but you have to have a whole other phone with a data plan just to do it. And, like i said earlier, i wouldn't be surprised if it voids your Apple warranty. Not something i would do with the 3g...

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
media net is not a full fledge data plan. It is a very, very stripped down version of the internet. It's meant to be used with non-smartphones. ATT can tell and you will get caught.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
They will beable to tell as soon as you hit a server counted amount of bytes. Resetting the phone's sent/received wont help.

Regular phones have a mobile internet, which is very stripped down to save kb. Our iPhones guzzle those kbs. You will be caught...its only a matter of time.