Well, Apple wouldn't sell me a 3G phone

Atlas

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
Waited until now for them to be available in my area and succumbed to the urge to go from the version 1 to the 3G iPhone. Waited on line for my turn only to be told that I could not buy one because we have a small discount on service with AT&T through my wife's job. Apple would not sell me the phone, they said I had to call AT&T and cancel the discount and come back or go to AT&T to take care of it with them.

Not sure why this happened, they had no problem selling me 2 phones back in November? Very disappointed.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Apple can't handle corporate discounts through their system for whatever reason. You have to buy it from an AT&T store. You shouldnt' have to give up your discounts (in fact, be happy that you can finally get them with the 3G at all... they were unavailable before). There is no real detriment to buying it through AT&T vs. Apple... same warranty, same service.

the 1st generation iPhone was a special beast, plan-wise. The way the 3G is handled is now more in line with every other handset AT&T sells.

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
Waited until now for them to be available in my area and succumbed to the urge to go from the version 1 to the 3G iPhone. Waited on line for my turn only to be told that I could not buy one because we have a small discount on service with AT&T through my wife's job. Apple would not sell me the phone, they said I had to call AT&T and cancel the discount and come back or go to AT&T to take care of it with them.

Not sure why this happened, they had no problem selling me 2 phones back in November? Very disappointed.
this was the same for everyone...they told us ALL this while we waited in line. all u had to do was call and cancel your discount (while standing in line) and then buy the new phone. then call AT&T or go to an AT&T store, and add the discount back onto your plan.

its not that Apple "wouldn't" sell u the phone. its that Apple *couldnt* sell you the phone and activate it while u have that discount on the account.

VIPERxGTx2000

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007

I had this happen twice, all you need to do is call AT&T right before you checkout and tell them to take the discount off and then the computer will let you checkout at the Apple store. When your walking out if the store with your new phone you can call AT&T and they will put it back on.

Atlas

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
OK, that makes sense. Thanks. Maybe I'll try again when I have time to get back down there. I'll call the day before and cancel it then re-apply it after I gat the phone. Does the AT&T phone have the AT&T logo branded on the iPhone anywhere on the front or back or does it come in the black box just like from the Apple store?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Exact same product. Lol, if AT&T tried to pull that crap, they would sell ZERO phones in-store :D

C130

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
The Apple store can call ATT and have them take the code off, buy the phone, then just call ATT and have them reinstate the code for the discount. I stood in line the day it came out and was first told I couldn't buy it. The Apple guy was very nice, called ATT and it was fixed in just a couple of minutes. I went by mu local ATT store and the genius told me I didn't get a discount on the iPhone. I could see I would get nowhere with this guy, went home and called ATT and got the discount reinstated.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Exact same product. Lol, if AT&T tried to pull that crap, they would sell ZERO phones in-store :D
Lol, too true.
The Apple iPhone by Apple by ATT.
It is almost as popular as the Zune Phone...and that's not even out yet!

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I went by mu local ATT store and the genius told me I didn't get a discount on the iPhone. I could see I would get nowhere with this guy, went home and called ATT and got the discount reinstated.
It amazes me that these freaking idiots at AT&T don't know what the hell is going on. I asked before the 3g came out at my local AT&T store and the ones i asked said yes you can use a discount on the 3g not on V1

Went to pick it up was chatting with the one taking names told them i sure was glad i can use my fan discount now and this moron tells me there is no discount for the iPhone 3g

You could ask every employee in the store the same question and get a different awnser every time

unnecessary

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
AT&T won't reapply the discount because NO ONE with an iPhone on the account qualifies for discount. Not even me. If you're gonna do it, sneak and do it at www.wireless.att.com/discounts

I don't know how long it will last though before the system catches it

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
It amazes me that these freaking idiots at AT&T don't know what the hell is going on. I asked before the 3g came out at my local AT&T store and the ones i asked said yes you can use a discount on the 3g not on V1

Went to pick it up was chatting with the one taking names told them i sure was glad i can use my fan discount now and this moron tells me there is no discount for the iPhone 3g

You could ask every employee in the store the same question and get a different awnser every time
There is a ton of confusion, not because ATT and Apple store employes are "freaking idiots," but because a lack of coordination amongst the two companies.
I always want to make this known. You are insulting somebody with a life for such an obsolete reason. You don't know these people. Don't call them an idiot.
Why, today I met some guy at the Apple Store who had a high powered job at Walt Disney, but had to give it up to move here to see his girlfriend.
My friend, you have to be understanding.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
The Discount applies to 3G. There is no reason to sneak behind it.

unnecessary

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
The Discount applies to 3G. There is no reason to sneak behind it.
really? I asked 10 customer service reps today during call transfers and they all said no.

unnecessary

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
I'm reading your siggy, and it says you work at ATT. Don't you already know?
I'm in telesales and we don't sell the iPhone over the phone. But they send us emails on updates and it specifically says customer must remove discount when they have either iPhone or iPhone 3g.

Plus I googled it and all I see is 3rd party sites that say it. I don't see an actual AT&T site that says discounts apply.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
So how do you feel about this whole iPhone situation. A lot of ATT guys I know have to live off commission and are angry that Apple is forcing sales to them.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
AT&T will give you discount phone plan rate even on the iPhone but not discount on the iPhone itself. Maybe thats what they were trying to say. If you take it off they will put it back on after you purchase the iPhone, I know several people that have done this.

unnecessary

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
So how do you feel about this whole iPhone situation. A lot of ATT guys I know have to live off commission and are angry that Apple is forcing sales to them.
frustrating. I need to have 2 sales for every 10 calls. When 10 out of 10 calls are iPhone, ain't crap you can do. Trust me, we get hour pay plus comm. And the store guys banked pretty large.

Oh and update, I just got a customer service rep forward me a memo in email stating that discounts do apply to 3g iPhone. Now Why the hell did the reps tel l me know?!

I don't care because mines is on there anyways.

unnecessary

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
I'm posting from my iPhone and it puts random words at times

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
really? I asked 10 customer service reps today during call transfers and they all said no.

National Account Discount -13.60

Your are a Rep that people complain about on this board by misleading people. You even had to change your answer after you tried to tell me you ask 10 other reps. That really tells me a lot about your group.

It only took me one manager at my store to tell me it applied and be on my first bill to tell me he told me the truth.